Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2017/2018

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, lchk said:

Drinkwater is about to come if you believe the rags.  Many months to prepare and that's what the board can come up.  I didn't know Football could have such classic comedy scripts.

Oh dear, it seems that way. The market for average English players has become big for the wrong reasons, regulation. Nothing whatsoever to do with quality, I don't think it's a brave move, Oxlade Chamberlain would've been a wise move for rotation I believe if we needed to bring in more English players. 

4 minutes ago, lchk said:

Mkhitaryan is Mourinho's choice as he himself has said and I would definitely have him over Pedro or Willian.  Mata I am not sure but Rashford did play himself into Mourinho's good books as he likes hard working runners with an eye for goal.

It took Mourinho a fair amount of time to start using Mkhitaryan regularly last year and the fact that United were trying to get Willian over the summer suggest to me Mourinho doesn't fully trust Mkhitaryan and I certainly would have Willian ahead Mkhitaryan. 

Funny seeing people raving about Matic on Twitter and how we made a mistake letting him go. As I said to a lot of people when the sale happened, Matic will have a very good first 2-3 months at United and all this talk will keep coming. Until December/January rolls around and his performances start to tail off. By March he'll be putting in some absolute sh*t performances but his 9/10 performances from earlier in the season will blind opinion and people won't be ready to admit he's been sh*t. Happened in 14/15, happened in 16/17. 

It's also by no means a foregone conclusion that anyone is winning the title after matchday 1. We all saw how City turned out last season after winning their first 10 in convincing fashion. It's a long season. If we can remain 2nd-4th by the time Hazard returns, I reckon we'll have as good a shout as anyone.

Mourinho usually has a good second season. He does the groundwork and has most opposition  teams sussed out. If the players manage to execute his plans on the day,  the team looks like a well oiled machine.  This is not anything to do with Matic or whoever. You can put Fabregas there in place of Matic and he'd manage to do a job too.  

I just hope this Babayoko guy can hit the ground running.  If not, heads need to roll. 

A lot of comment here about the sale of Matic to United. One characteristic of Chelsea under Abramovic is that we respect our players. If we decide they are not part of our future, we seem to want to do deals that they are happy with. Cech to Arsenal, Oscar to China, Mata to United and now Matic too.

When you see the way other clubs handle want away players (Liverpool with Suarez and now Coutinho, Arsenal with Sanchez) I'm kind of proud that we seem to treat people properly. 

We will find other players, we will continue to compete-  stop panicking! 

1 minute ago, carrickblue said:

A lot of comment here about the sale of Matic to United. One characteristic of Chelsea under Abramovic is that we respect our players. If we decide they are not part of our future, we seem to want to do deals that they are happy with. Cech to Arsenal, Oscar to China, Mata to United and now Matic too.

When you see the way other clubs handle want away players (Liverpool with Suarez and now Coutinho, Arsenal with Sanchez) I'm kind of proud that we seem to treat people properly. 

We will find other players, we will continue to compete-  stop panicking! 

I'm certainly not panicking and I agree with this. There's a certain integrity to it that we've maintained although it's a whole different ball game when it's your best player (Liverpool-Coutinho, Arsenal-Sanchez). Not sure we'd be as willing to "make the player happy" if this was Hazard someone came for. 

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

I was just checking to see if anyone else is watching. Cheating prick isn't he ? I don't know what Sky's commentator is going on about. It was a dive from Suarez.

I've got the joy of American commentary calling a corner a serve and keep using the words turnover and transition. Clear dive but I think the pressure just gets to the ref.

The way Barca attack teams at home is something I rarely see in European football and against the best team in Europe. It's literally just constant pressure.