final 23 for south africa?

BLUENUT

August 2008, extracts taken from Carra: My Autobiography:

• "I was never in love with playing for England in the first place."

• "Sitting on the England coach as it prepared to drive us away from the World Cup in Germany, I received a text message. 'Fcuk it! It's only England'. I'd just missed a penalty in the quarter-final shoot-out against Portugal. Representing your country is the ultimate honour, especially in the World Cup. Not to me."

• "I would rather miss for England than LFC."

• "I wasn't giving up my football career or my ambitions. Only England." - ha ha ha

• "The Liver Bird mauled the Three Lions in the fight for my loyalties."

• "Whenever I returned home from disappointing England experiences, one unshakeable, overriding thought pushed itself to the forefront of my mind, no matter how much the rest of the nation mourned. 'At least it wasn't Liverpool,' I'd repeat to myself, over and over."

11 May 2010, upon being named in provisional World Cup squad:

• "I'm not getting any younger, we have no [big Cup] football next season."

c*nt

The 30 man squad has been named:

GOALKEEPERS

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

DEFENDERS

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

MIDFIELDERS

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips

FORWARDS

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Just wondering what peoples preferred 23 man squad would be out of this? A couple of obvious ones i would say but the seven i would like to miss out would be

1) Warnock

2) Carragher

3) Huddlestone

4) SWP

5) Walcott

6) Parker

7) Heskey

Heskey and carragher are the key ones I would prefer not to be there. Its not because Carragher isn't good enough its because his lack of passion for the team, some of the quotes I saw from his book in another thread made me hate him even more than I already did.

As for Heskey I always read the Pro's about how he brings the best out of Rooney and all that crap, but rather than getting the best out of one player how about have two strikers up front that can actually stick the ball in the goal. His form for Villa has been appalling,

Last point is that I really hope Joey doesn't get dropped, not just because he is in chelsea but because he could be a potential gamechanger in a big match, in his last couple of matches he seems to be finding a bit of form.

If JT had said that he prioritizes club over country, we'd be saying how much of a legend he is.

Then again, JT wouldn't have quit the England team in a fit of jealous rage over how sh*t he is at football.

Was just about to say the same thing. We hope ALL of our players put Chelsea before anything else, just as I do as a fan (bar the family).

Hopefully if he does make the final 23, he won't see much playing time.

what a c**t. but never mind the fact that he got picked did he really deserve to be in for a shout,he was in the team that finished 7th in the table so for me besides him turning hes back on england football wise he dont deserve to go. after we played them at the bridge and drogba ripped him apart with hes strenght and speed,even liverpool fans where saying hes days are numbered.

what a c**t. but never mind the fact that he got picked did he really deserve to be in for a shout,he was in the team that finished 7th in the table so for me besides him turning hes back on england football wise he dont deserve to go. after we played them at the bridge and drogba ripped him apart with hes strenght and speed,even liverpool fans where saying hes days are numbered.

I agree.

This is on the back of probably his worst season in a Liverpool shirt.

A couple of years ago he was excellent and would merit a place, but this season he has been turned inside out more times than a reversable jacket.

Probably due to Englands cover at right-back and his versalitility, than his performances this season.

The thing about Heskey is that we were the highest-scoring team in qualifiers with him (mostly) partnering Rooney up front - so even though he can't shoot himself, the team's offense does legitimately work well when he's in. We won our qualifying group easily; why respond to that by booting one of our starters out of the squad?

The problem with dropping Carragher is that he's the only defender on that list who can cover for Johnson at right-back.

My list of cuts:

1. Warnock

2. Upson

3. Carrick

4. Huddlestone

5. SWP

6. Walcott

7. Bent

The thing about Heskey is that we were the highest-scoring team in qualifiers with him (mostly) partnering Rooney up front - so even though he can't shoot himself, the team's offense does legitimately work well when he's in. We won our qualifying group easily; why respond to that by booting one of our starters out of the squad?

The problem with dropping Carragher is that he's the only defender on that list who can cover for Johnson at right-back.

My list of cuts:

1. Warnock

2. Upson

3. Carrick

4. Huddlestone

5. SWP

6. Walcott

7. Bent

Actually Milner has done well at right back when called on in the past. I think he would be fine as cover for Johnson.

The thing about Heskey is that we were the highest-scoring team in qualifiers with him (mostly) partnering Rooney up front - so even though he can't shoot himself,

I wouldn't be advocating a place in the 23 for Heskey but I think expecting him to do that is taking it to the extreme :D

Archived