Lampard's penalty pattern

June

The statistics show that more than 80% of Lampard's penalty will be on the low left or low right. The statistics was shown on TV's broadcast.

I am worried that all goalkeepers have prepared to meet his penalty in World Cup by diving low.

Perhaps it is all part of a Cunning Plan to lull them into a false sense of security, and in the World Cup he will discombooberate them by doing exactly the opposite.

It doesn't really matter if keepers have a 50 50 chance of knowing where he is going to put it. The stat that is most relevant is Frank's success rate from 12 yards and it is phenomenal. That is because even if a keeper has a good idea where it is going there is nothing they can do about it if it is placed well and struck firmly. Frank does that 49 times out of 50.

Even if they guess right thats only half the work. More often than not he will see where the keeper is going on do the opposite. He missed yestrday because he changed his mind, he said so. Thats a wake up call and I doubt you will see him miss another now for a long while.

The statistics show that more than 80% of Lampard's penalty will be on the low left or low right. The statistics was shown on TV's broadcast.

I am worried that all goalkeepers have prepared to meet his penalty in World Cup by diving low.

They might know where its likely to be placed, but that doesnt mean they will save it. He hits it with so much power into the side netting at times that a keeper simply doesnt have a chance.

The thing is, any penalty, when struck with complete conviction (ie no second thoughts), is almost guaranteed to score.

It tends to be when players overthink it, or try to be too clever that they will blow it, or not hit it well enough to beat the keeper.

To save a perfectly hit penalty, a keeper HAS to dive before the kick happens and if he's lucky in guessing the right way, may just have enough reach to keep it out.

A penalty aimed at the top corner, on either side of the net, is virtually impossible to save given the reaction time, but players won't often try it, because of the smaller margin for error.

But yeah, strike the ball well, and have conviction in wherever you aim, and you will score a lot more often than not.

I've seen a couple of his penalties in replays lately, and the goalkeepers are very often going in the right direction. But it doesn't matter. His shots are so well placed and with fast pace you have to go to a side before the penalty is taken to get to it in time. The goalkeepers does very often dive low anyways.

he's admitted he changed his mind just as he stepped up to take it...i do think he should vary it a bit more though

Vary a bit !! What for? A hit rate that is phenomenal to say the least and mind you its not that the keeper saved it, it was just the one off where Lampard missed the target. Talk about fixing things that aint broken !! :laugh2:

Edited by Maverick

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really misleading statistic- without a comparison of successes/fails then you can't make any inference from that.

Anyway for a keeper it's harder to save anything towards the corner, whether it be high or low.

It wasnt, it was a poor penalty hit far too close to the keeper.

Yeah he totally scuffed it too.

Hopefully he will just smack the next one.

Good god - the though of Frank missing a pen in a q/f (or similar) that England lose is too much.

Not just the abuse he will get, but the amount of time i will spend defending him about it fills me with dread.

Its this type of sh*t that makes me hate England matches so much.

First aim - Chelsea players dont makes mistakes.

Second aim - Chelsea players play well.

Third aim - England win.

Edited by bjd

Twaddle, give the keeper credit where it's due, it was a very good save.

Cant agree Geez, it was very poorly hit. Scuffed. Check the replays facing the goal.

Bad pen, Frank was unlucky the keeper went the right way buts thats about it.

Twaddle, give the keeper credit where it's due, it was a very good save.

Gobblydook, he hit it where he normally does the keeper wouldnt have gotten near it. It was scuffed and far too near the keeper. sh*t penalty.

Edited by dkw

I agree he scuffed i but it was still a firm hand by the keeper to keep it out and it was still well into the corner. I hate it when people belittle a keepers save when he's chosen the right way to go and done what he had to do. It was a good save scuff or no scuff. Let's give credit where it's due.

I agree he scuffed i but it was still a firm hand by the keeper to keep it out and it was still well into the corner. I hate it when people belittle a keepers save when he's chosen the right way to go and done what he had to do. It was a good save scuff or no scuff. Let's give credit where it's due.

Yeah i know what you mean but if Frank had hit it properly and like he normally does the keeper wouldn't have got anywhere near it.

I guess we just expect too much from him!

Yeah i know what you mean but if Frank had hit it properly and like he normally does the keeper wouldn't have got anywhere near it.

I guess we just expect too much from him!

Don't doubt that for a minute bjd but I was responding directly to a post which said it wasn't a good save when for me (as someone who played regularly as a goalkeeper) it was.

Don't doubt that for a minute bjd but I was responding directly to a post which said it wasn't a good save when for me (as someone who played regularly as a goalkeeper) it was.

The thing is Geezer no-one actually said it wasnt a good save, just that it was a poor penalty. Which it was. The save was a good one as you said, just that the penalty was also sh*t.