The iPad, what the hell is the point?

dkw

So my mate got an iFad for £500 yesterday and was showing it off, so i asked what the point of it was. Basically its twice the price of an equivalent Netbook, has no USB, isnt able to view flash, only 16 or 32gb storage, lowest ones dont have 3G only WiFi, you have to buy an extra stand for it. But its shiny, looks nice and erm is basically a big iPhone. He kicked off saying how brilliant it is and how he was now using it to surf the net, attached to his Iphone. We all burst out laughing and he couldnt understand why. Surely only idiots will fall for this sh*t and buy it.

So my mate got an iFad for £500 yesterday and was showing it off, so i asked what the point of it was. Basically its twice the price of an equivalent Netbook, has no USB, isnt able to view flash, only 16 or 32gb storage, lowest ones dont have 3G only WiFi, you have to buy an extra stand for it. But its shiny, looks nice and erm is basically a big iPhone. He kicked off saying how brilliant it is and how he was now using it to surf the net, attached to his Iphone. We all burst out laughing and he couldnt understand why. Surely only idiots will fall for this sh*t and buy it.

I agree with you however my doubts are limited because i seem to recall very similar doubts being raised over the ipod and iphone.

Time will tell!!

I agree with you however my doubts are limited because i seem to recall very similar doubts being raised over the ipod and iphone.

Time will tell!!

No doubt by the 4th generation it will be the gadget to have, but thats the Apple way isnt it. Drip feed new kit onto it that it should have had in the first place. Clever by them, but god i wish people would realise this.

but it lets you read a book on a train fellas ;)

I was just going to post a similar comment. I was on the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh on Thursday morning and there was a punter besdide me using one to read an Ian Rankin book. A book available in paperback which fits in your jacket pocket!

I was just going to post a similar comment. I was on the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh on Thursday morning and there was a punter besdide me using one to read an Ian Rankin book. A book available in paperback which fits in your jacket pocket!

So £500 for the opportunity to be able to read a book on something that only just fits in a bag, as opposed to buying the actual book for about £5. Just think, once he`s read 501 books hes in profit.

I think once the honeymoon period is over and more people suss it out, it will be a massive failure.

I think alot of people will go crazy for anything that is touchscreen. And look at the size of it aswell, how are you suppose to carry that thing about?!

The funniest thing is people thinking they are getting a laptop type thing, when all it basically is is a platform for apps. My mate thought he would be able to install all kinds of programmes, he was gutted when he found out it will all be app driven.

In a year's time half the planet won't be able to live without one. I hate my mobile phone only have it for business, that's if I remember to turn the ringtone on. God, our old chalkboards in class seem a million miles away nowadays, at least you could swipe the prick in front of you over the head with it without it breaking, always managed to stand on me chalk though.

Or you could just d/l/buy the audiobook and play it on your iPod/mp3 player.

Hope none of you guys got conned. Apple blew it this one time.

Apple are marketing geniuses to be fair. Calling software "apps" for example, its not an app its a f**king programme, yet they manage to convince people that its some kind of new concept, a "game breaker" as they put it. Yet its exactly the same thing people have doing for years on pc`s. Obviously this only works because so many people are idiots who just go along with the latest in thing without question. My mate at work has an iPhone, he pays £40 a month for the privelage and has had it 3 months. He has spent upwards of £30 a month on apps on it so far, mostly apps that are completely useless or can be done on a laptop for free. So hes spent £210 in 3 months on it. And he thinks its great. Unbelievable.

apple-iboard-imat-design-gadget.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting this on my iPad and lying in bed right now. I love it. I'll explain why.

I spend quite a bit of time on the couch watching sports. American sports can get a bit boring from time to time. My computer is all the way across the room so, call me lazy, I did a lot of web surfing on my iPhone. The iPhone is great but it isn't great for surfing the web from home on but the iPad is. Add in a couple of other factors (iPhone battery life is lacking these days so Im trying to use it less, laptop is old and needing replacement, had some extra money) and I decided to buy one. Sure it is a luxury item but I don't regret it for a second. Plus it only cost me $500 not £500.

I have a Macbook Pro

I have an iPhone

I have an iPod Shuffle

I have ordered the iPad

I will be getting the new iPhone when it's released.

Each to their own, I like Apple.

I did a lot of overtime so I could find my iPad purchase, I figure it's my money - why not? I don't have any real financial responsibilities at the moment. I don't spend £40 every Friday night going to the pub (IMO a waste of money), I don't spend £80 or whatever on a new pair of designer jeans or shoes (IMO a waste of money)... I'm looking forward to receiving it :)

Given they are selling one every 3 seconds I think it is unlikely that it will be a flop. I was pretty sceptical when it was first announced but my wife has one and she loves it.

It is not a replacement for a laptop/netbook. It is a device for web browsing and consuming media - audio, video, written. It is much lighter and more user friendly than a netbook and the battery life is massively better - it only needs charging every couple of days.

I'd say that you have to use it to get it properly.

Given they are selling one every 3 seconds I think it is unlikely that it will be a flop. I was pretty sceptical when it was first announced but my wife has one and she loves it.

It is not a replacement for a laptop/netbook. It is a device for web browsing and consuming media - audio, video, written. It is much lighter and more user friendly than a netbook and the battery life is massively better - it only needs charging every couple of days.

I'd say that you have to use it to get it properly.

Is it worth a minimum of £500 though, plus whatever she pays for the add ons like the stand etc? For me it simply isnt worth anywhere near that when you can get a much more powerful and useable netbook for half the price.

Gem can you hold my hand please, I'm about to take the Apple leap. :)

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I have never purchased any Apple product, but I'm in the market for a new mobile phone, and the iPhone4 is about 14 days away from hitting the UK. I was looking at the Nokia x6, but reviews dont look too good. So I started looking at the iPhone and decided I'm going to get one on PAYG, no prices for the UK have been announced, but it looks like the 32G will be about £400 on PAYG. The main reason I'm getting one is because I need a sat-nav and a mobile phone, these would of cost me a combined total of about £400 if bought seperatley, so I thought why not just buy the iP4. It also gives me a 5MP camera and HD video recorder with editing software, I looked at some sample photos and they take excellent pictures, so thats 4 devices I know I will always use a lot, all in one device for £400, sounds like good value to me.

Is it worth a minimum of £500 though, plus whatever she pays for the add ons like the stand etc? For me it simply isnt worth anywhere near that when you can get a much more powerful and useable netbook for half the price.

I have absolutely zero interest in buying an iPad. I'd prefer a laptop over an iPad any day of the week. I don't need a device that is basically just a good web surfing gizmo. If I want a device that I can carry around, I'll buy a laptop because I need the device to do a bit more than just entertain me. I can see why people like it though, but it's just not for me.

That very much depends on what you want to do. It is expensive and it is a luxury, but for what it does I'd say it is a lot more useable than a netbook. It's not so much about what it can do - I'm sure that a netbook would do most of the things that an iPad can do - but more about how it does it. It is very elegant and intuitive, particularly if you have used an iPhone. The other major advantage is battery life. How long does the battery last on your netbook? Can you go two days between charges?

If you need to create a lot of content - documents, spreadsheets, graphics, video - then you wouldn't do it on an iPad. The iPad is brilliant for consuming content but not so good at creating. It certainly isn't a substitute for a decent computer - PC or Mac. But then again nor is a netbook.

I was pretty sceptical but I have to say that after playing with it I now want one myself. If you get the chance to use one then give it a go. If you don't like it or don't think it's worth the money then don't get one.

Archived