Drogba

alan'82

What can you say about Didier drogba? brillant one minute,a true match winner and then,a pain in the arse the next.The thing is he will soon be 33 and with any long career,injuries and of course illness take their toll.But what about desire to win?,does a multimillionare still want it enough?.Personally i can't forgive him for the sending off in the champions league final when we really needed him, but that dosen't reflect at all his quality as a player.But,with his Marseille connections,with Torres arrival as the future of this club and while he still has some fuel in the tank,is it time at the end of the season to say thankyou and goodbye.

The remainder of this season will be the deciding factor, I harbour hopes that he will hit some form and form a formiddable partnership with Torres that pursuades him and the powers that be that another season with us is best for all concerned.

I was as critical as anyone in that CL final and at times under the Scolari reign when he looked less interested than I felt he should but he is the best in the world in form and I think he can play at the top level for longer than most strikers.

Hes had some nasty injuries and then a bout of Malaria and by what I have read he still wanted to play every game, that to me doesn't smack of a millionaire who has lost interest, I'll be gutted when he leaves.

Edited by Chippy

Personally, i think times up,if you look at Man utd, Ferguson knows the lifespan of a striker,and they don't seam to have got much wrong do they?.Young players nowdays like Danny,who is doing well at Bolton,are not prepaired to wait around in the reserves for their chance,so the club and the players must know when the time has come to move on.

Personally, i think times up,if you look at Man utd, Ferguson knows the lifespan of a striker,and they don't seam to have got much wrong do they?.Young players nowdays like Danny,who is doing well at Bolton,are not prepaired to wait around in the reserves for their chance,so the club and the players must know when the time has come to move on.

Pepople like to quote "if they're good enough they're old enough" and I'd like to think that is true also in reverse, Drogba was the best in the Premier last season and the start of this, he hasn't lost that overnight.

And lets ask Sir Alex (who knows the lifespan of a striker) what Teddy Sherringham had written on the birth certificate he showed him.

Edited by Chippy

Pepople like to quote "if they're good enough they're old enough" and I'd like to think that is true also in reverse, Drogba was the best in the Premier last season and the start of this, he hasn't lost that overnight.

And lets ask Sir Alex (who knows the lifespan of a striker) what Teddy Sherringham had written on the birth certificate he showed him.

And also Henrik Larrson Chippy. I actually think Drogba will go to Marseille next season, but I would like him to stay as long as he knew he isnt guaranteed a start anymore.

And also Henrik Larrson Chippy. I actually think Drogba will go to Marseille next season, but I would like him to stay as long as he knew he isnt guaranteed a start anymore.

Agreed mate thats my fear but I would much prefer him to get his act together and form what could be the best Partnership in the history of the Premiership, Imagine those two in form, it would be something else.

I think Drogs will go to Marsaille but I'm sure they'd take him a year older and don't worry how old the strikers at UTD are, if he starts playing like the Drogba we know he can be he would be first name on the teamsheet for me even now and it all depends how he takes to the new challenge of seriously having his place threatened.

My faiths in the big man to pull something out of the bag.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ferguson but to give the old duffer his due,he knows when to move a player on,if Carlo needs to show a pair ,to drop a player like Drogba,then the club need to show likewise and know when to make the big decision's.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ferguson but to give the old duffer his due,he knows when to move a player on,if Carlo needs to show a pair ,to drop a player like Drogba,then the club need to show likewise and know when to make the big decision's.

I'm not a Ferguson fan but appreciate hes a superb Manager, you're argument is floored though for reasons already given.

Theres a time to let good players go but for me thats when you're sure that they have stopped giving their best for the Club through reasons of losing interest or being past their best, I for one am not sure Drogba is either of those things and feel the only fair way a thread like this should be up on here is when we find out if there is a future in the Dogba Torres Partnership and if Drogs is A: willing to try to make it work and B: up to the task.

I dont think 66 Minutes is enough to Judge and I am happy to give my gut instinct view that Drogba will be a huge asset for us throughout the season although I think to be sure if there is another year in him with Torres here I'd need (like anyone else) a few more games to even think about judging.

I'd like drogba to stay and help the youngsters but I don't think he'd be content in that role for us. really hope we get another season out of him but if his performances don't pick up, he'l be on his way in the summer. I wonder why he doesn't have that same feeling of home about us as he does about marseille? He has been here longer than any other place in his career. Maybe it's because of the stick he's suffered from the press over the years. I hope he sees how much the fans love and appreciate what a legend he has been for us. Itl be a sad day when leaves.

The point of the thread was to point out that Didier's time is coming to an end,irrespective of what happens in the remainder of this season.If the one thing i've learned through the years of watching Chelsea and football in general,is the need to always plan one step ahead.Even if Didier forms a good understanding with Torres,it will at best only last a year,and then what?.With the emphasis on young talent,not only at chelsea but,most of the other top clubs in europe,i feel we need to prepair now for the future.Didier will always be a legend at this club,for all those games where he alone,proved to be the match winner,but even for the very best,the sands of time move on.

The point of the thread was to point out that Didier's time is coming to an end,irrespective of what happens in the remainder of this season.If the one thing i've learned through the years of watching Chelsea and football in general,is the need to always plan one step ahead.Even if Didier forms a good understanding with Torres,it will at best only last a year,and then what?.With the emphasis on young talent,not only at chelsea but,most of the other top clubs in europe,i feel we need to prepair now for the future.Didier will always be a legend at this club,for all those games where he alone,proved to be the match winner,but even for the very best,the sands of time move on.

Totally agree with needing to prepare for the future, where we differ is that I feel if Drogba does well towards the end of this season and shows he still has the desire that we should hang onto him for that one more season.

I don't feel that will hinder us if we plan correctly and the way Sturridge is taking his chance to impress in his loan spell shows that we have a youngster here already who can step in while Drogs plays a lesser role next season,

There is also the added incentive to players like Lukaku who idolise Drogba and if we are in for him that could help us with getting him.

I think the age of the squad is a far bigger concern to the newspapers than to the performance of the team and although we have a few 30 plus players they are very fit and with the younger players coming in and through three or four players in their early thirties should not be a problem...Lampard is already talking about playing until hes fourty and although I don't expect that to be here, it is a testament to how fit he feels he is.

I think we will know for sure about Diddier by the end of the season and I hope he does enough to earn another season and go out with another Title winning Medal, if not I wish him well...we'll have to look this thread back up in May and rethink.

I agree with Chippy in that it will depend how the rest of the season goes. Carlo will surely try to play him and Torres together and see how the partnership works. If they start playing well together, it will be great news for us and we'd see Drogba stay for at least another season. If the partnership doesnt work then Drogba will be off to France in the summer.

People have been writing Drogba off for years and years and years and years and years, yet he keeps proving himself to be a world class striker and remains the first name on the teamsheet week in week out.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if he has another 2-3 top seasons left in him, dispite his age.

People have been writing Drogba off for years and years and years and years and years, yet he keeps proving himself to be a world class striker and remains the first name on the teamsheet week in week out.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if he has another 2-3 top seasons left in him, dispite his age.

I don't think anyone has been writing off Drogba for that long?!!

People have moaned about him throughout his career (certainly with us anyway) but a lot of that he brings on himself so only has himself to blame.

I hope we do part company with Drogba in the summer. It's time for us and him to move on but I'll wish him all the best.

He'll leave us with many great memories (and some not so great).

Edited by Nibs

Personally I'd be very sorry to see him go. He has had a difficult season so far through a combination of injury and illness and the performance of the team as a whole has not helped matters. Nevertheless, I still think he offers a huge amount to the team and would be loathe to see him dropped as some seem to be advocating. I'd have him ahead of Anelka any day of the week.

Drogba has been one of my all time favourite Chelsea players, I have never written him off, he was won games for us single handedly and deserves to have the 'legend' status bestowed upon him.

However I just feel the time is right this summer to move him on. My hope is that Sturridge returns ready to take up the challenge of scoring goals, and that will go some way to replacing Drog. IMO I think Chelsea may well let drogba and Anekla go, but obviously then you are looking at buying a replacement.

I believe Didier or Torres can play alone up front, so it is a bit of proving time for him and the 3 up front combo. Personally I'd like to see him here to summer and beyond. As Ferguson has been mentioned earlier I notice he benched Berbatov in their Derby game and perhaps such a rotation would work here to allow him to stay in the future.

well yes - for a start he pratted about like a bridesmaid over there

since that game, apart from 1 great goal what have we seen, so maybe he's going thru the motions

37 goals last year! and lots match winning goals and performances

torres hae been brought in to replace him - yes

he's 33 and strikers can play longer.............but are used sparingly - so maybe we'll see him and nando swapping in/out a lot

either way, no doubt he'll go end of the season, hopefully after getting the winning goal at wembley on 28th May