Champions League Draw

Myles_91

I am wary of the fact that Copenhagen still have a chance of getting through, but assuming we do the business tonight, is there anyone that wouldn't mind getting the Spuds or Mancs in the next round?

Platini will probably want Real Madrid to win it, so if they get past Lyon they will probably get Schalke or Shaktar and we all know there will be an all English tie.

I'd fancy our chances against either the Spuds or Mancs over two legs, we have great recent records at both Old Toilet and 3 point Lane and are more than capable of scoring at both, whilst also boasting an impressive recent home record over both teams as well.

I personally wouldn't mind meeting an English Club in the next round and would go as far as to say I'd rather play the 2nd leg at their grounds. A European tie against Spuds would be great too, and could allow us to effectively ruin their Euorpean chances (present and future) this season.

Anyone else have an opinion on who you would want us to avoid/play in particular IF we get through?

One team that I feel could prove difficult is Shakhtar. They might not be famous or a huge club (if you compare them to us, Barca or Real Madrid), but they seem really good.

I think two english teams will face eachother in the next round. They would not want to risk having an all english final.

I would not be surprised if we got ManU, Barca got Shalke and Real got Shakhtar.

One team that I feel could prove difficult is Shakhtar. They might not be famous or a huge club (if you compare them to us, Barca or Real Madrid), but they seem really good.

I think two english teams will face eachother in the next round. They would not want to risk having an all english final.

I would not be surprised if we got ManU, Barca got Shalke and Real got Shakhtar.

Yeah, Shaktar are unbeaten at home in 24 games I think, and we all saw what they did to Arsenal :laugh2:

I'm not counting chickens yet btw, as I think tonight will be far tougher than people and the media seem to think, but just playing devil's advocate.

If I had to handpick a draw myself it would probably be...

Barcelona v Real Madrid/Lyon VS Inter v Spuds

Man Utd v Chelsea VS Shaktar v Schalke

At this stage of the competition no tie is easy and you have to beat the best if you want to win it, but I'd fancy our chances against Barca (who are the team to beat IMO) over one leg whereas I wouldn't over two.

Think I'm getting way to carried away though :unsure:

Who ? And why ?

I think he is referring to UEFA, whom admittedly would not want to risk having an all-English final having previously admitted anti-England agenda.

I am only speaking hypothetically, I am wary of the fact that we could be knocked out today (however unlikely) hence why I am asking the question now.

Plus I am new to this forum so go easy :)

UEFA, whom admittedly would not want to risk having an all-English final having previously admitted anti-England agenda.

Admitted? Have they? They've been accused of it, but surely they wouldn't admit it, even if there was such a bias.

Admitted? Have they? They've been accused of it, but surely they wouldn't admit it, even if there was such a bias.

. Countless times he has had a dig at us, Merc City and Man Ure for spending. The Telegraph in particular can provide evidence of this.

. Countless times he has had a dig at us, Merc City and Man Ure for spending. The Telegraph in particular can provide evidence of this.

As much as im not a fan of UEFA, them having a dig at english clubs doesnt prove or show them admitting an anti-english agenda

As much as im not a fan of UEFA, them having a dig at english clubs doesnt prove or show them admitting an anti-english agenda

You are right, it doesn't and I nor can anyone else prove or disprove that, however the evidence suggests that he isn't a fan on the Premier League in general, I am only going based on what he has said in the past.

I wouldn't mind seeing Utd go up against Spurs and us taking someone like Inter, they are better under Leonardo than Rafa but no where as near good as they were last season.

If we go through and thats an if at the moment i see this being the draw.

Barcelona vs Shakhtar

Utd vs Spurs

Inter vs Chelsea/Copenhagen

Schalke vs Real Madrid/Lyon

Plus I am new to this forum so go easy :)

Wasnt having a pop mate! Just hate the idea of tempting fate!

Anyway , welcome - Good to see someone starting some chat and getting stuck in rather than posting smileys or starting a thread about how we should sign Messi.

I was half hoping Arsenal would get through and we'd get them cause I think over two legs we'd do them but seen as though they are out it aint gonna happen. I can definitely see us getting an English club or at least having to potentially play one in the semis. This is all if we definitely go through tonight.

Wasnt having a pop mate! Just hate the idea of tempting fate!

Anyway , welcome - Good to see someone starting some chat and getting stuck in rather than posting smileys or starting a thread about how we should sign Messi.

Yeah, knowing us it wouldn't have surprised me if we did lose and go out on pens, would be so Chelsea like. Thankfully we got through with relative ease

I was half hoping Arsenal would get through and we'd get them cause I think over two legs we'd do them but seen as though they are out it aint gonna happen. I can definitely see us getting an English club or at least having to potentially play one in the semis. This is all if we definitely go through tonight.

I would fancy our chances against any of the English sides in the CL, Arsenal only beat us at the Emirates this season due to our own faults and failings, if we had played half as well as we did vs Tottenham it would have been an easy win at the Emirates, they weren't that good IMO, we just made them look good

Man Utd I wouldn't mind either, I would prefer the first leg at the Bridge though, given their dismal record at the Bridge and our brilliant record at Old Toilet, that again would be a tie I wouldn't mind.

Spuds are probably the English side I'd want to avoid at the moment, with players coming back for them they actually look a decent outfit, however I am certain again we'd score in both ties, putting us in good stead.

We aren't good enough to play Barca or Real yet, but are getting there so any team bar them will do ::ChElSeaFLag::

Edited by Myles_91

I would fancy our chances against any of the English sides in the CL, Arsenal only beat us at the Emirates this season due to our own faults and failings, if we had played half as well as we did vs Tottenham it would have been an easy win at the Emirates, they weren't that good IMO, we just made them look good

Man Utd I wouldn't mind either, I would prefer the first leg at the Bridge though, given their dismal record at the Bridge and our brilliant record at Old Toilet, that again would be a tie I wouldn't mind.

Spuds are probably the English side I'd want to avoid at the moment, with players coming back for them they actually look a decent outfit, however I am certain again we'd score in both ties, putting us in good stead.

We aren't good enough to play Barca or Real yet, but are getting there so any team bar them will do ::ChElSeaFLag::

Our attack isn't good enough to play Barca or Real, but I think our D is world class

I guess really it doesn't matter who we draw this morning because there are 7 other teams that are supposedly the best in Europe left and we are going to have to beat them anyway. If anything if we get a decent draw I wouldn't mind playing Barca in the final, we seem to be the only team outside of Spain that they fear regardless of our current form and you might just catch them on a bad day and after all the final is only a one game affair. You just as well go out this round as the next ...you still end up with nothing. Why some teams and the media fear Barca is beyond me, you have to play your best to beat them as you would with any of the teams left, so for me it doesn't matter who we get we'll have to play better than they do. ::ChELSeAFaN::

I guess really it doesn't matter who we draw this morning because there are 7 other teams that are supposedly the best in Europe left and we are going to have to beat them anyway. If anything if we get a decent draw I wouldn't mind playing Barca in the final, we seem to be the only team outside of Spain that they fear regardless of our current form and you might just catch them on a bad day and after all the final is only a one game affair. You just as well go out this round as the next ...you still end up with nothing. Why some teams and the media fear Barca is beyond me, you have to play your best to beat them as you would with any of the teams left, so for me it doesn't matter who we get we'll have to play better than they do. ::ChELSeAFaN::

Here, here ::ChElSeaFLag::

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Barca fan and I made this point to him and he agreed that Barca - Chelsea games are always close and we're the team he thinks has the most likelyhood(sp?) of beating them, so he hopes to avoid at least until the final ::ChELSeAFaN::

We can, theoretically, do any of the teams left in the competition over two legs.

For some reason, I get the feeling it'll be Man U v Spuds, and we'll get Real or Inter

I think you may be right, although I don't share your confidence.

Real are overrated IMO, they are still not great defensively, but then again we are not as good going forward as we have been in previous seasons.

I personally feel that Inter and Barca are still the teams to beat and feel we have a much better chance of taking them over one leg than over two, forget the Jose factor, this Real team hasn't got a patch on Jose's Inter or even Lenoardo's. In fact I garauntee if Real draw Inter, Inter will progress.

I definitely feel Chelsea are the most equipped to deal with Barca out of the English teams. However I would still prefer to avoid them until the final. Would be much more confident playing them in a one off game rather than over two legs.

I actually feel Inter are more vulnerable than they were last season, so wouldn't mind them too much. I think any of the English teams are capable of beating each other. My ideal draw would be Schalke, then hopefully Real will play barca and that is one of them out of the way as well.

I thought We will be in better position to barca over 2 legs and not one . That is because , we want them to play in our home once to get a psyhcological advantage . Barca will be more concerned about chelsea than any other teams in the draw because we know how to beat them and showed that many times before . All said , I would like to draw barca to take revenge for the "ovrebo loss" . And I 've been dreaming ever since the 2008 CL semis about chelsea beating barca comprehensively in their home ground and wish it happens this time ..

I don't want chelsea to draw ManU or Spurs . I' m quite thrilled about the draw tomorrow ...