Ballack

BlueNose

Every game that goes past when we see chelsea's midfield struggling against an old man like giggs i wonder why the hell we sold ballack.

I just cant understand why we would want to get rid of ballack for free when he was such a big character and was able to handle the big games. With all due respect to the likes of ramires, mikel, yuri etc i dont think they have the same presence on the pitch as ballack did. He always used to be given stick when he had a bad game but i really do miss having him around for when those 'big ones' come about.

anyway what i was going to ask is if anyone knew if he wanted to leave or weather he was forced out, contract negotiations blah blah blah...

many thanks,

'Nose

Every game that goes past when we see chelsea's midfield struggling against an old man like giggs i wonder why the hell we sold ballack.

I just cant understand why we would want to get rid of ballack for free when he was such a big character and was able to handle the big games. With all due respect to the likes of ramires, mikel, yuri etc i dont think they have the same presence on the pitch as ballack did. He always used to be given stick when he had a bad game but i really do miss having him around for when those 'big ones' come about.

anyway what i was going to ask is if anyone knew if he wanted to leave or weather he was forced out, contract negotiations blah blah blah...

many thanks,

'Nose

I seem to remember Ballack was happy to stay and even on a lower wage, I think Carlo wanted him but the cutbacks were aimed at the older high earners like him and Deco, when you think we also lost Joe at the same time you could say it looked like a bite you in the arse decision and if Ramires hadn't settled in at an impressive rate we would have paid for it even more heavily.

Ballack had a great relationship with Ancelotti. He revealed Abramovich was behind the club's decision to release him. Quote " Chelsea are always my first choice and I had 4 great years at the club........but it was not to be........the decision was down to Roman"

Ballack was out with ankle and knee injuries. He was back for Leverkusen's recent game against Kaiseslautern which Leverkusen won 1-0. He was yellow carded late in the first half but played the fiull 90 minutes. Looked as if he has slowed up a little. Leverkusen are 2nd from the top in the Bundesliga tables ahead of Bayern Munich.

I don't think Ballack would have held us together. No one could have predicted how much Lampards injury would effect his game, and something terrible happened to Essien after he mysteriously set up a charity event in ghana 2 days after getting a red card vs Fulham.

The only progression in our midfield this season has come from Ramires & Josh (when we have been lucky enough to see him). Mikel started the season like he was Gullit, but he caught what the rest of the team got.

I really do hope Jose comes back, because we need someone special who is good enough to re-build our team over a couple of seasons. It took him 2 years at Inter, and you wouldn't bet against him doing it at Real, but hopefully he won't get the chance.

He was a libability more often than not for us though and I remember a lot of complaining about him towards the end with his poor passing and slowing things down, so I don't think he would have made much difference really.

As much as I disliked him, Deco would probably have been a better choice to keep since he was more creative. Hell, even Belletti could have done a job.

Good leadership materital, has the aura, and could have scored 1-2 penalties for us, e.g. against Supurs. I don't think he would be the soultion to our problems right now, never the creative link even during his best days. Deco on the other hand, could have made some difference, he can still threading those passes and take on defenders from time to time. Another under appreciated player let go by the management.

many thanks,

'Nose

it was the right time to get rid of him imo,was embarrassing at times seeing him,sometimes too slow to even foul his opponent,then when he could kick them arguing with the ref (maybe out of frustration who knows).there`ll probably be a 'why oh why' about belletti next.

I can't really say I miss him or that we need him. Ramires is our new Essien-Frank and we still have...Essien and Frank. Mikel is still there and he still is a young boy. We have no idea how good Benayoun is? Zhirkov or Malouda will leave after the season I'm sure. Buying Torres sealed that deal.

Ballack was very good in big games but looking at Ramires I can't say I miss him one bit. Great servant for us no matter what.

Ballack is a much better footballer than some people here give him credit for. He had everything from excellent passing, reading the game, shooting, defensive qualities, good in the air, leadership qualities and physical strength. For me there was little to choose between him and Lamps except that Lamps did not compete as well in the international arena. I like both of them but regard Ballack as the more versatile footballer.

Ballack's Achievements.

German Footballer of the Year - 2002, 2003, 2005.

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year - 2002.

FIFA World Player of the Year - 2006.

Soccer Digest Player of the Year - 2002.

I was very disappointed when Ballack left Stamford Bridge!

Ballack is a much better footballer than some people here give him credit for. He had everything from excellent passing, reading the game, shooting, defensive qualities, good in the air, leadership qualities and physical strength. For me there was little to choose between him and Lamps except that Lamps did not compete as well in the international arena. I like both of them but regard Ballack as the more versatile footballer.

Ballack's Achievements.

German Footballer of the Year - 2002, 2003, 2005.

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year - 2002.

FIFA World Player of the Year - 2006.

Soccer Digest Player of the Year - 2002.

I was very disappointed when Ballack left Stamford Bridge!

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

yes we gave him stick towards the end but every season there is a player who gets jumped on, for example malouda at the moment.

we shouldnt have let ballack go so hastily.

I think Ballack was one of those players who a lot of people dont see what he brings to a team. He controls the pace and rhythm of play, he is always available for a pass and keeps the play moving when needed and slows it down at other times. Basically a player you only see how important he is when he`s not there.

Ballack's best days were behind him so letting him go was probably the right decision.

If it was a mistake, then it was only releasing Belletti and Deco at the same time that made it a mistake. Let all three players go (not to mention Joe Cole and Scott Sinclair) and you're left with a severely depleted squad size, as we found to our cost earlier in the season.

Under-appreciated during his time here, we have missed someone who can dictate the tempo and control the big games...having said that didn't his FA Cup Final injury last way into winter, so we wouldn't have seen much of him anyway?

He was a libability more often than not for us though ...

Absolute tosh.

I can only echo dkw's description above: one can only wonder at the rather one dimensional focus used at times by some to measure any player's worth to a team.

One of the best defensive midfielders to play the game in the last decade or so.

Positionally, he was always outstanding.

As Hutch and others have said: letting him go at the same time as Belletti & Deco was naive at best.

Aside from the second half of 07-08, when he was undeniably brilliant, we've never seen Ballack at his peak in a Chelsea shirt. And yet he still gave us 4 years that were, on the balance, very good. Yes, he had injury issues and at times looked out of it with his pace but he always elevated his play in the biggest games. At his best could single-handedly dictate the flow of a game and successfully played both attacking and defensive minded roles over his tenure. His aerial threat was outstanding for a midfielder as we often saw. Yeah, I think he could still have provided some of that if he had stayed on. When he's been healthy this year, he's looked pretty good. Scored a couple of goals in Europe. Obviously not in top form though. As a depth guy who'd see more minutes against certain opponents (Man Ure, for example), I think he'd still be an asset.

Edited by That Boy Brandinho

Yeah you're right - he would've picked up the identical shin injury playing in the EPL earlier this year.

Well he definitely would have, he smashed a mirror and ran over a black cat so it was fated.....