Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think the station was on the Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction line that runs behind the East Stand.  The station was just to the south of Fulham Road, and the remnants of the platforms are just visible if you travel on that line these days.  There was talk of building a station on that line as part of the plans for the East Stand in the early 70s.  All rather a shame, a station there would be handy for those travelling from south of the River.

On 08/05/2020 at 23:27, Stretford Ender said:

Both teams in away strips for both legs (I think). City were a decent team back then. Albert Alexander, who wrote the welcome message in the programme you posted, was a real gentleman. He backed Joe Mercer against the rival faction who wanted Malcolm Allison to manage on his own. The Allison faction won and Joe was removed. Allison went down in flames (twice) and Joe went on to manage Coventry then England after Revie skedaddled to the desert. Great football men whose like we'll never see again.

I really liked Mercer's short spell as England manager, they looked a half decent team again.

1 hour ago, Peckham Blue said:

I really liked Mercer's short spell as England manager, they looked a half decent team again.

My memory must be on the blink. Mercer managed England before Revie, not afterwards. Your comment prompted me to have a look again at his England record and it wasn't half bad. Found a good piece in the Guardian from 2012 that brought back memories.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2012/oct/11/forgotten-story-joe-mercer-england-manager

4 hours ago, bluehaze said:

I suppose it couldn't be any worse than the aftershaves of the era Brut, Blue Stratos, Denim, Old Spice etc.

AFTERSHAVE 1984-85.jpg

Don't forget High Karate, another one of the 70's aftershave collection, like that box!

Edited by chi blue

19660511.jpgChelsea v Barcelona: The previous meetings... · The42Inter Cities Fairs Cup Semi Final Second Leg match at Stamford ...Inter Cities Fairs Cup Semi Final Second Leg match at Stamford ...

Fairs Cup - Semi Final - 2nd Leg

We won 2-0 to take it to a deciding tie on 25th May.

Our scorers: Gallego (O.G) 71, Reina (O.G) 80

Watched by a crowd of 40,073.

The 'Bonnie Prince', Charlie Cooke's debut for us.

Thanks to bounder.friardale. for details.

Edited by erskblue

Chelsea v Barcelona: Chelsea v Barcelona Fairs Cup Semi-Final 1966

Fairs Cup semi-final, 1966

First leg 27 April, Barcelona 2-0 Chelsea; Second leg 11 May, Chelsea 2-0 Barcelona (2-2 agg); Play-off 25 May, Barcelona 5-0 Chelsea Having been beaten 2-0 in the first leg at Camp Nou, an ill-tempered match at Stamford Bridge looked to be heading for a 0-0 draw until Eladio Silvestre's sending off for a wild swipe at John Hollins late in the first half. The game turned the Blues' way thereafter, with the pressure telling on a defence in which the Uruguayan Julio César Benítez had been immovable. In the 71st minute Gallego deflected a Bobby Tambling header into his own goal (above) before a young Manuel Reina – the father of Liverpool's Pepe Reina – pawed Peter Houseman's speculative shot into his net to send the tie to a play-off. Barcelona won a coin toss to determine that the game would be played at Camp Nou, where the Catalans soundly thrashed Chelsea 5-0

Photograph: PA Archive

https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2012/apr/05/chelsea-barcelona-european-clashes-in-pictures

Edited by erskblue

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Charlie Cooke - Players who went SeniorCharlie Cooke - Players who went SeniorNASL-Charlie CookeCharlie Cooke Stock Photos & Charlie Cooke Stock Images - Alamy

Charlie's' summer job' !:biggrin:   Not bad work...

I took an FA Prelim coaching course in 88 to spending a summer in the States with kids in a soccer camp. Charlie Cook was part of the set up but I never met him, and ended up deciding not to go.

Mates that did go said he was unbelievably skilful, probably more so than in his pomp because he played with a ball all day every day.

One of the lads said he was the best five-aside player he’d ever seen, and he would have been about the 40 mark.

I had another mate who was on Palaces groundstaff  when Cookie was there- a Scottish lad called Billy Patterson who went on to play semi pro and was one of the fastest players I ever played with- he said Cookie left him and everyone else for dead in a sprint

Edited by Ewell CFC

7 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Aramis was a real 80's aftershave as was one of my favourites Kouros

I used to love this advert as a kid and another one for an aftershave called Censored same woman starred in both Valerie Leon. Just listen to the voiceover '' A normal docile woman into a ravenous creature'' wow can't get more 70's than that''.