Vintage Blues pictures and film

16 hours ago, Richard P said:

Be interesting to see how they did in the domestic cups as well. I know the old European cup was drawn round by round and don't know how many games played to win it.

Villa were beaten 2-1 by Cambridge Utd away in an early round of the League Cup.

Ipswich beat them 1-0 in the FA Cup 3rd Round at Portman Road in early Jan 81.

In actual fact Ipswich Town beat them home and away. 1-0 in Sept and then 2-1 at Villa Park in April 81.

Ipswich had 16 more games in Europe and also reaching the FA Cup Semi Final.

Villa weren't in Europe in 1980/81 and so had the League to concentrate on.

21 minutes ago, The Leigh Limpet said:

Rubbish day all round, never stopped raining if I recall.

Yes, not how I imagined my first cup final watching my team, after watching the cup finals in 70's and 80's on TV and it was always hot and sunny, mind you 97 made up for it, hot, sunny and the best and longest celebration after in the old stadium, 20 years ago? Can't be!!!

29 minutes ago, The Leigh Limpet said:

Rubbish day all round, never stopped raining if I recall.

sh*t day out we drank in Richmond before the game expecting a visit from some cockney reds, must have been rumours or they got lost because they never showed.

Sod the game i've erased it from my memory!  after outside a certain person did a flying kung fu kick at a mouthy Utd fan, who swerved just before contact leaving the certain person hitting the deck & landing in a puddle & feeling a right twat much to the amusement of his mates.

24 minutes ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Chelsea here Chelsea there..

DIEdFxvWAAAHMpV.jpg

DIEdGtrXoAEtCpT.jpg

DIEdJdLXYAQ1qFr.jpg

DIEdIeOWsAA_KVZ.jpg

What a great day! Starting with queuing down the hill around 9 o'clock, I think the team were impressed when they arrived to see the masses to welcome them. There were more in the ground than the official attendance, we were everywhere as the pictures above show. Great times that won't be repeated again numbers wise.

1 hour ago, Richard P said:

What a great day! Starting with queuing down the hill around 9 o'clock, I think the team were impressed when they arrived to see the masses to welcome them. There were more in the ground than the official attendance, we were everywhere as the pictures above show. Great times that won't be repeated again numbers wise.

It was a great day out never seen so many Chelsea we even had a great mob in the North Stand , then down to Wimbledon against Man city game 

The Arsenal game in 84 so many people I met in the pubs a couple of weeks before the game were going and a lot of them weren't Chelsea fans. They knew we would have massive support that day. Even though it was boiling hot and extremely packed I don't remember it being uncomfortable. Roll on a couple of years in 87 when they only gave us the corner bit of the Clock End that was borderline dangerous.

16 hours ago, bluehaze said:

The Arsenal game in 84 so many people I met in the pubs a couple of weeks before the game were going and a lot of them weren't Chelsea fans. They knew we would have massive support that day. Even though it was boiling hot and extremely packed I don't remember it being uncomfortable. Roll on a couple of years in 87 when they only gave us the corner bit of the Clock End that was borderline dangerous.

The game we lost 3-1,it kicked off in the clock end. I was at the back right hand side of the clock end 84 and it was very hot and you couldn't move.

11 hours ago, erskblue said:

The Archibald Leitch terracing barriers pictured above in The Shed End .

Leitch designed many football stadiums in the early 1900s and a few of his Stands survive to this day.

He also patented the terracing crush barriers shown above.

Leitch was a brilliant architect. One of my favourite stands which he designed is the Main Stand at Ibrox. One of the iconic views in Glasgow.

49 minutes ago, erskblue said:

When my old man started taking me regularly to the football at top division level in 1974/75.

He always insisted we stood in front of the terracing barriers. That way we were protected from the potential crushing that could and did occur on the terraces back then.

Your father was very wise man.......the terraces could be dangerous at times ! ....as I remember back to Feb 1969....I was in the "middle of the shed".....we were playing Sunderland at the bridge ( we won 5-1.....Bobby Tambling scored 4 and Alan Birchenall 1) ...after one of the goals, the crowd surged forward very aggressively and someone in front of me fell over.....leaving me with no one to lean on...so i fell down and I got up feeling very dazed, and decided to move positions, walked around the back of the old east stand and stood underneath the old north stand....I felt better....there weren't many Sunderland fans there ! ......the official crowd was only about 29,500 ...but in the shed it felt like there was 50,000 ! ......happy times! 

5 hours ago, Maidstone Blue said:

Your father was very wise man.......the terraces could be dangerous at times ! ....as I remember back to Feb 1969....I was in the "middle of the shed".....we were playing Sunderland at the bridge ( we won 5-1.....Bobby Tambling scored 4 and Alan Birchenall 1) ...after one of the goals, the crowd surged forward very aggressively and someone in front of me fell over.....leaving me with no one to lean on...so i fell down and I got up feeling very dazed, and decided to move positions, walked around the back of the old east stand and stood underneath the old north stand....I felt better....there weren't many Sunderland fans there ! ......the official crowd was only about 29,500 ...but in the shed it felt like there was 50,000 ! ......happy times! 

He'd been in the 134,000 crowds at Hampden for the Scotland v England games. That was the official capacity of Hampden back in the 1950s until 1974ish.

I remember him laughing at times when the official attendances were given out at Ibrox and Hampden.

He would say that there were far,far more in than the official attendance.