Harry Redknapp's Tax Evasion Trial

abigsmurf

Couldn't find a topic on this and as the trial is a week and a bit away I thought it was worth talking about. Here are what the charges are based on:

Milan Mandaric and Henry James Redknapp, between the 1st day of April 2002 and the 28th day of Nov 2007, at the material times respectively the Chairman and the Football Manager of Portsmouth City Football Club Limited, with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs, arranged for $145,000, paid by Milan Mandaric as a result of or in connection with Henry James Redknapp’s employment and as a reward for services, to be transferred to a Monaco bank account opened by Henry James Redknapp for that purpose, in order to conceal the said emolument from HM Revenue and Customs and evade the payment of Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions thereon (whether by the operation of PAYE by the club or otherwise).

Milan Mandaric, between the 1st day of May 2004 and the 28th day of November 2007, at the material times the Chairman and the Football Manager of Portsmouth City Football Club Limited, with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs, arranged for $150,000, paid by Milan Mandaric as a result of or in connection with Henry James Redknapp’s employment and as a reward for services, to be transferred to a Monaco bank account opened by Henry James Redknapp for that purpose, in order to conceal the said employment income from HM Revenue and Customs and evade the payment of Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions thereon (whether by the operation of PAYE by the club or otherwise).

HMRC tends not to get this far unless they've a really solid chance of getting a conviction. I thought he would be looking at a fine and a suspended sentence but looking at the sentence guidelines, he could get some notable jail time: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/revenue_offences_fraudulent_evasion_of_income_tax/

Depends on if they class it as professionally planned or not, but he's looking at 12-36 months, especially as he has no mitigating factors against him and a few aggravating ones. Still not impossible that any sentence gets suspended but I'd imagine they wouldn't do that if he was getting more than a year.

Guilty or innocent, it's weird how little coverage this trial is getting. It's arguably more important that a few words some players have said to each other on the pitch (remember, tax evasion steals money from everyone).

Maybe he can find some bargain basement players for Spurs while he is behind bars :laugh2: ; If there is one manager I cannot stand in this league it's him, I hope he gets what he deserves but you know how it will play out....He'll wheel and deal before the trial date, just as he does in the transfer market and before the trial he'll do a plea bargin meaning they will accept a lump sum payment for tax arrears (which is really all they want) and it will be swept under the carpet

I dont think anyone should be surprised by how little (if any) coverage this is getting, he`s the sports writers friend and they are looking after their own. Can you imagine if this was a Chelsea manager, wall to wall coverage, front page news every day etc...

Strange how no one cared that Hiddink was already found guilty of tax evasion, got a 6 month suspended jail sentence and was fined, just a few years before he took over at Chelsea.

In fairness, the only reason I am interested in this happening to Harry is I want Spurs to have their season f**ked up as much as possible when the ruling gets handed down, if he is found guilty.

And that I would like to see all the people that profited off Pompey's demise, like Peter Storrie, Uncle 'Arry, and Sol "where's my money?" Campbell suffer as much as possible for taking the last of that club's money and making off like thieves in the night. Even when financial extinction was just around the corner.

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

I just had a horrible thought.

I was thinking how Rednapp gets all twitchy with his facial tics on the sidelines of a match, and I was thinking that if he ever had to get to the witness stand and testify on his own behalf, he would be a mess, with twitches all over the place.

Got to say this is an absolute non-issue with me. Pure schadenfreude really. Rise above this kind of crap people.

When someone deliberately tax dodges, they're stealing from the entire country. A rich man trying to make himself slightly richer at our expense.

Not to mention, if these allegations prove to be true, it seems these payments served a double purpose: they also hid the payment of bungs.

Good.

The trial could keep Redknapp away from Tottenham’s training ground for around two weeks and could limit his input into two crucial league fixtures and an FA Cup tie.

On Friday Tottenham face Watford at Vicarage Road in the fourth round of the FA Cup, a game Redknapp should be able to attend.

Spurs then host Wigan on Tuesday Jan 31 before playing Liverpool at Anfield on Monday February 6, by which time the trial may have concluded.

Should it spill into a third week Redknapp’s attendance at that game may be in doubt.

When someone deliberately tax dodges, they're stealing from the entire country. A rich man trying to make himself slightly richer at our expense.

Not to mention, if these allegations prove to be true, it seems these payments served a double purpose: they also hid the payment of bungs.

Yes and if he is guilty so be it. But this sort of cheerleading for a persons downfall, simply because they are associated with a rival is rubbish.

The appetite for this sort of cheerleading is precisely why JT and Ash get vilified in the tabloids every second week and a big part of the toxic tabloid culture in general.

Edited by Spiller86

Yes and if he is guilty so be it. But this sort of cheerleading for a persons downfall, simply because they are associated with a rival is rubbish.

The appetite for this sort of cheerleading is precisely why JT and Ash get vilified in the tabloids every second week and a big part of the toxic tabloid culture in general.

He brought it on himself. He's no innocent victim.

He's a big boy playing dirty games at the highest level.

Sympathy? Zero.