Player power (merged)

Myles_91

For me the saddest thing about this predicament is that players we have come to love, adore and believe genuinely care about the club now apparently don't and the fans are beginning to turn on some of the senior players. It's becoming clear that the players are trying to get AVB the sack and the whole debacle doesn't sit right with myself and many others.

When I think of Drogba, Lampard and Cole etc I think of great players that have been part of a wonderful era at this club but given what is currently going on would it be right to consider them in the same mould as Di Matteo, Zola, Clarke, Cooke, Wilkins, Ossie, Bonetti, JFH, Gudjohnsen etc who gave their all for the club throughout their Chelsea careers.

I'm pretty torn on this and I'd like to think the good times outweigh the bad and as I type AVB has been sacked so that's another managerial casualty and the players have won again.

How you can even ask this question blows my mind.

Let me get this right, based on stories in the media (who we all know love us) claiming that AVB's sacking was partly down to player power, you think that those players who have been integral to the most successful period in the history of the club, should potentially not be considered legends?

Jesus, I really cannot identify with some of our fans at the moment, I really can't. We have certainly been spoilt, that's for sure.

No one really knows how much player power is going on, Its all speculation and a waste of time

Players want to play for the club that employs them, this is natural.

The guys you mentioned will always be regarded as legends.... to think otherwise is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Edited by Zola

I don't like to call active players legends anyway, but to me club legends are players who fight for the cause every match, not only when they feel like it. When players start thinking that they're bigger than the club and turn on managers, it tells us quite a bit about the sort of professionals that they are. Heart makes way for ego. I appreciate what they've done for the club and they've done enough to be considered legends(WHEN THEY RETIRE), but at the moment they are seriously letting themselves and the club down. Playing like sh*t on purpose when we're struggling to secure a top four finish is in a way more serious crime than signing for Spurs. Not only is it an insult to the fans, but it's hurting Chelsea as well, while they're still "playing"(more like going through the motions) for the club.

I don't like to call active players legends anyway, but to me club legends are players who fight for the cause every match, not only when they feel like it. When players start thinking that they're bigger than the club and turn on managers, it tells us quite a bit about the sort of professionals that they are. Heart makes way for ego. I appreciate what they've done for the club and they've done enough to be considered legends(WHEN THEY RETIRE), but at the moment they are seriously letting themselves and the club down. Playing like sh*t on purpose when we're struggling to secure a top four finish is in a way more serious crime than signing for Spurs. Not only is it an insult to the fans, but it's hurting Chelsea as well, while they're still "playing"(more like going through the motions) for the club.

And you know this how??? Saying something like that about players who have given a hell of a lot to this club is incredibly disrespectful, in my opinion, unless you have proof that it is true. And by proof I don't mean an 'a source at the club' style story in The Sun.

I know this is a dark day, but I think some of you are grossly overreacting.

Edited by Tim

I think these players legends have most definitely been tarnished and as much as I will never forget their contribution to our club and success over the seasons, I seriously hope some of these legends are not with us next season.

We have no real clue as to what has been going on off the pitch at the club. It's unfair that the blame is completely apportioned to any one party. All I can hope is that the right decision has been made. If for the future stability of the club certain players need to leave, then let us hope that also happens.

I'm a touched suprised that you would start this topic Myles.

I'm also slightly 'disapointed' at the memories of some of the posters on this forum if i'm honest.

Instead of looking to blame just these players for the clubs current woes,why not take the time to research their achievments for this club instead?.

Take a look at who's performances won us the trophies that we all enjoyed over the reccent years,or try to find the name of the only player in Chelsea's history who's nearly won the FIFA world player of the year while toilling away for the club,(that's not to shabby is it?).

If thats no good,then look back in history & be suprised to learn the names of some of the legends of the past who fell out with their manager at the time.

Maybe,just sometimes, a senior players opinion matters & is just as important as a managers and is well worth listening to as well.

I dont believe everything I read in the press.

But when players have, seemingly, given up during a tough season 3 times since 2008 I dont see how anyone can ignore it anymore. Unless we believe what everyone says, and theyre all really just crap now.

And you know this how???

Of course no one outside the clubs knows for sure, but have these players looked like they're fighting for the cause? To me it has seemed that they've been going through the motions for quite a while now. Then again, if they really have been giving their all and this is the best that they can do at the moment, then they don't deserve to start matches.

Edited by Maksimov

They will always be regarded as legends simply for the trophies they have helped us win, but their behaviour over the past few years at certain moments has been bad, its all well kissing the badge after scoring or winning a game but then playing like sh*t in the next game that just makes me angry, those that really love the badge and the club are the fans that spend a fortune each year following the team, buying the merchandise and spending hours on sites like these talking about their clubs.

I feel let down by some of the players

amongst this managerial merry go round over the last few seasons the players have been the common denominator. in my eyes some of them have been indulged and now feel as if they are untouchable. well, if they really did try and get boas sacked (and im undecided) then they got their wish so now its up to them to turn this season around and give us something to shout about come may. right now though im feeling hurt and let down by them.

we need a win v Brum to give us some confidence & momentum for the run in, KTBFFH!

I don't really know where the proof of player power comes from.

does anyone have some examples or proof that it exists?

and what does it mean?

people like cech, terry, lampard and drogba are legends at the club I'd say. they've given us more in terms of silverware than anyone. some of them are finished as top players. it hurts a little to read people giving them a good shoeing over how this season has gone. players eventually get less effective over time. this is not news, is it? so why are people so absolutely furious with them? I can't understand it.

the lampard one is good. at the age of 33 he wants to play. he has nothing to prove and he still wants to be in the team. he still wants to play against the best. he's not happy when he's out of the side. aside from looking unhappy (oh that terrible crime) when he's substituted, what has he done to deserve such criticism. people talk about players at lampard's age. you know the ones. they've won the medals and couldn't care less whether they are in the side or not. the desire has long since departed. they are there for 'one last payday'. they don't care. If the entire squad still wanted it as much as lampard even after a decade at the top, we'd be better off. I think his attitude this season should serve as a fantastic example to his fellow pros. in and out of the side arbitrarily, subbed on with 8 mins left to make an impact. hauled off when we need a goal. far poorer players have complained to the press, mouthed off openly at their manager, sulked, refused to come on, requested transfers etc etc. lamps has taken it. accepted every decision. shaken the managers hand whenever it was offered to him.

frank lampard I salute you.

and I ask again- where are the examples of player power?

and when we talk about loyalty, do we recognise it works two ways? and that even though some of our players are past their best we should perhaps thank them for their service rather than heartlessly bin them, or turn on them to defend a manager who looked largely out of his depth?

I don't really know where the proof of player power comes from.

does anyone have some examples or proof that it exists?

and what does it mean?

people like cech, terry, lampard and drogba are legends at the club I'd say. they've given us more in terms of silverware than anyone. some of them are finished as top players. it hurts a little to read people giving them a good shoeing over how this season has gone. players eventually get less effective over time. this is not news, is it? so why are people so absolutely furious with them? I can't understand it.

the lampard one is good. at the age of 33 he wants to play. he has nothing to prove and he still wants to be in the team. he still wants to play against the best. he's not happy when he's out of the side. aside from looking unhappy (oh that terrible crime) when he's substituted, what has he done to deserve such criticism. people talk about players at lampard's age. you know the ones. they've won the medals and couldn't care less whether they are in the side or not. the desire has long since departed. they are there for 'one last payday'. they don't care. If the entire squad still wanted it as much as lampard even after a decade at the top, we'd be better off. I think his attitude this season should serve as a fantastic example to his fellow pros. in and out of the side arbitrarily, subbed on with 8 mins left to make an impact. hauled off when we need a goal. far poorer players have complained to the press, mouthed off openly at their manager, sulked, refused to come on, requested transfers etc etc. lamps has taken it. accepted every decision. shaken the managers hand whenever it was offered to him.

frank lampard I salute you.

and I ask again- where are the examples of player power?

and when we talk about loyalty, do we recognise it works two ways? and that even though some of our players are past their best we should perhaps thank them for their service rather than heartlessly bin them, or turn on them to defend a manager who looked largely out of his depth?

Bloody hell!,what a fantastic post.................well said !.

everyone on this forum knows what I think of ashley cole. and I can honestly say I've never seen him not try. he's not had a good season. I think lamps is basically done as a "top" player. his speed of thought and his mobilty are decreased. but it isn't workrate that is in question for me. certainly not from these players.

I think when people criticise players, they always talk about workrate, and usually incorrectly. when players are out of form immediately people jump to workrate. funny how no-one talks about mata's workrate really. the two players you mention never, ever lack for effort.

sturridge does sometimes. mata does too. of the players who regularly start for us they are probably our "laziest" players. (though I don't think either are particularly lazy) they've also been two shining lights so it isn't often a point of discussion.