Chelsea v Benfica (CL) QF 2nd Leg 04/04/12 KO 19:45 BST

I know we have Villa tomorrow but I wanted to make a point regarding this game.

People have attached too much significance to our away goal last Tuesday.

Away goals only count double if the scores are level after both legs and one side has more away goals than the other.

In other words, the only club that can benefit from the away goal rule in this tie is Benfica.

This tie is far from over. Against Napoli we knew we had to get the goals, here it is not so clear, and we may get caught between two stools.

We have to be careful. They are no mugs. They have scored in all their away ties this season.

They score first and we are in big trouble as any goal they subsequently get counts double. We score first and the tie's more or less over.

Both teams will understand the importance of the first goal and I expect it to be quite cagey.

Far from a foregone conclusion if you ask me ..

You're right. I'm not sure anyone thinks it's over. I think the result was such a pleasant surprise that people are just happy to be ahead going home.

My hope is that Benfica expose their sluggish defense by overextending themselves trying to get a goal. The counter-attack, which seems to be Di Matteo's favorite strategy, could quickly slice them open. It's interesting how closely Di Matteo's current philosophy -- safety first, bang the ball up to the center-forward -- mirrors a certain predecessor of his at Stamford Bridge.

I know we have Villa tomorrow but I wanted to make a point regarding this game.

People have attached too much significance to our away goal last Tuesday.

Away goals only count double if the scores are level after both legs and one side has more away goals than the other.

In other words, the only club that can benefit from the away goal rule in this tie is Benfica.

This tie is far from over. Against Napoli we knew we had to get the goals, here it is not so clear, and we may get caught between two stools.

We have to be careful. They are no mugs. They have scored in all their away ties this season.

They score first and we are in big trouble as any goal they subsequently get counts double. We score first and the tie's more or less over.

Both teams will understand the importance of the first goal and I expect it to be quite cagey.

Far from a foregone conclusion if you ask me ..

It means Benfica need more away goals to profit from them.

Drogba & Luiz injured, still even if they don't pass fit this rejuvenated squad should have enough in the tank to do Benfica

they have to have a go, complacency around the 1 goal advantage as proved today can be a game changer, think Chelsea will win but it always seems to be the hard way so I'm going with 2-1, Benfica to score first just to get us all nervous, 3-1 on aggregate

What's Drogba's injury? Anyone know?

Assuming it's minor, I would guess we'll see him midweek. Perhaps Essien and Ramires. I wonder if Lampard won't be tired after playing the full 90 v Villa? I also wonder about right back. Ivanovic didn't look comfortable defending at Villa Park, makes me wonder if that thigh injury is slowing him down a bit?

I thought that Eagle Benfica had flying around the pitch before kick-off was quality.

As a fan of our feathered friends (although I'd struggle to eat a whole one), I wish we had something like that at Chels.

Then, we could train it to take a huge sh*t on the head of Dulglish the next time we play the dippers at the Bridge.........fantastic!.

(that is,if he's still in the job by then,the miserable dull 'ol scroat).

I dont know how we will approach to the game sit back or play like its 0:0?This game looks like the Valencia one, but we had different manager back then.Will be interesting to see RDM's tactic.

Edited by Rami

Drogba has a toe injury, Luiz strained ankle ligaments.

I hope Droga's healthy. While Torres is playing well, you could tell he slowed down v. Vila. He can't run like a madman every three days, he needs a rest.

Chelsea do too. I hope this match is relatively easy. No disrespect intended to Benfica, but you can't play a cup final every three or four days. It wears you out physically and emotionally. They need a recharge.

Definitely need a recharge. One of the reasons why we really are stuffed in the premier league this season is that we will be playing at least a couple more matches than the competitors.

Having said that you do get a massive mental boost from still being in the cups. You feel like you are still in the mix and therefore make the effort.

If we had the team for it I would say play defensive and catch them on the counter. This could therefore be a boring game. Benfica won't want to concede another goal too early.

For my money Torres is way in front of Drogba in the pecking order now. Just the same I'd play Drogba in this game as a target, assuming he is fit, and because I want to keep Torres fresh.

Alternatively we could play a five man midfield.

cech

Ivan Cahill, Terry Bertrand/Cole (cole is going off quickly now)

ramires essien mikel mata mereiles/lampard

sturridge/Drogba

Motivation shouldn't be a problem for this. Absolute worse case result i can see is a draw. However don't want to count my chickens and all that crap.

-----------Cech

--Ivan--Cahill---JT--Cole

-----------Mikel

------ramires--lamps

--studge------------mata

------------nando

A few fernando goals would go down an absolute treat

Remember how we thought we'd have trouble reversing the odds against Napoli? Well, i have trouble believing the Benfica match is going to be an easy one.

They'll come out guns blazing, so i just hope we have the mettle to knock 3 or 4 past them. 1-0 at half time certainly won't put my mind at rest.

Remember how we thought we'd have trouble reversing the odds against Napoli? Well, i have trouble believing the Benfica match is going to be an easy one.

They'll come out guns blazing, so i just hope we have the mettle to knock 3 or 4 past them. 1-0 at half time certainly won't put my mind at rest.

I also remember a few years back when we won 3-1 at Anfield in the first leg I thought there was no chance they could turn it around. 2 goals for them early doors and suddenly it was on a knide edge. We all know what went on to happen (one of my favourite games I have ever been to) but just shows how quickly things can change with an early goal.

We must score first, then I think we will be fine but don't want us to sit back and invite pressure, we need to go after that first goal.