Chelsea v Barcelona (CL SF 1st Leg) 18/04/12 KO 19:45 BST

"It could be Bayern or Barcelona, I just don't think it will be Real Madrid v Chelsea and we know why,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17617990

To be honest, I'm dreading the Champions League semi. Even if we were good enough to beat them, it's hard not to see the kind of refereeing that everyone is used to FCB getting in the lead up to finals happening again. UEFA want their Real vs Barcelona final (but would settle for Munich vs FCB).

It's one thing being beaten fair and square, but the infamous semi 3 years ago it possibly the worst thing I've experienced in my life as a Chelsea fan (second being the 1994 FA cup) . The prospect of a repeat performance makes it hard to get as excited for this tie as I should be. That said, getting revenge on Barcelona would be oh so sweet.

Edited by Mod

I fully expect another screw job by UEFA. I think with a decent ref we could beat Barca but i dont think it will happen.

I dont mind if we lose to them because they are just the better team but when its because they have been handed the game by the ref it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

The QPR game was another example this season.

Call me a bitter pessimist, but I'm counting on a loss. No way "lovely, brilliant Barcelona" will be allowed to lose. Even if we put in a performance unlike anything we've seen in a very long time, Barcelona will still go through. Not perhaps because they are better, but because they will get all the help they need.

Barca always get their help.

How many times do they finish playing against 10 men or less in the CL knock out stages? I would love to see those stats. Weren't Arsenal actually winning at the time that RVP was sent off under laugable circumstances at the Nou camp last season? How conveniant.

And of course that game at the Bridge in 2009- possibly the most perculiar refereeing I have ever seen in my life ensured their safe passage to the final that night. You could go on and on with similar examples.....

RVP was certainly the only attacking threat Arsenal had in that game. Sending him off killed the match for them.

If RVP had the chance Bendtner did at 3-1, Arsenal would have scored and gone through.

Personally I don't give us a prayer against Barca (and UEFA) but if we could leave the Bridge with a positive result 2-1 or better yet 1-0 or 2-0 we'd have at least a 50% chance of going through as I believe we can score at the Nou Camp

found jose's comments quite funny, starting the mind games with barca already and doing his best to help/motivate his old players too...there is no doubt he'd orefer to face chelsea rather than barca in the final

Edited by The Brit

For me this semi is the cup final, if we beat barca ill be as happy as if we win the CL.I cant stand this bunch of gnom primadonnas.If the ref is corrupt (which is very likely), i want drogba to beat the hell out of him, he wont play in CL anymore anyway. :laugh2:

Edited by Rami

Okay, so I'm looking through your forum to see your thoughts about playing Barcelona, and you have REALLY bought into the delusional Mourinho conspiracy.

First of all, I can see why you Chelsea fans would believe in some Barcelona conspiracy, after that game at the Bridge. The refereeing wasn't good in that game,

but 8 half penalties don't make a penalty! Okay, so I believe you could've gotten 1 or 2 pens (the handball on Pique and Eto'o), but not as many as some Chelsea fans thought...

Also, many Chelsea fans forget that Henry should've gotten a penalty at the Camp Nou, but that is conveniently forgotten.

Anyway, if you believe in some UEFA/Barcelona conspiraca, consider this:

WHY would the Øvrebø show Abidal the red card in a semi final Barcelona were LOSING, IF there "supposedly" is some conspiracy? After all, most experts and people

agreed that it was only a tangle of legs and that Anelka threw himself. So now they were losing with 10 men in a Champions League semi final which was "rigged" for them.

Yeah right.

Then the next year, Barcelona meet Inter Milan in the semi's. They travel to Milano, and they lose 3-1. One blatant offside goal from Milito too, and yet people claim Barcelona

have ref's on their side in the Champions league! It was at least 1 meter offside, as everybody agreed. There was simply no room for discussion on this one, as it was too obvious.

Then, Inter Milan go to Barcelona. They get down to 10 men against Barca, from a dive from Busquets. Although Motta did put his hand in Busquets face, it was still overreacting from

Busquets. Anyway, Barcelona manage to score through Pique, and then later Bojan scores a second, LEGITIMATE goal, which the referee rules to NOT be a goal, because of a non-existing

handball on Toure. The pictures show the ball hitting him in the stomach. If Bojan's goal was allowed, Barca would be in the final that year!

So, you claim there's some UEFA conspiracy with Barca? Then why would'nt the ref give Barcelona the WINNER, which would give them a place in the final? Think about that.

In the Inter Milan match, 2 situations of the referee getting it wrong, were CRITICAL in the outcome of the entire tie. So Mourinho should be the last one to whine about this

stuff. Besides, why listen to someone like Mourinho, who has an agenda, as the coach of Real Madrid! Of course it would suit him if people were to think there really is

a conspiracy. Especially if he can make referees think twice about giving something legitimate to Barcelona!

Also, Barcelona often have a ball possession of 70%. This means that they are more likely to get fouled. That's the rule of averages! When a team has the ball that much, and also inside your half

for most of the game, there's a higher chance of them getting a freekick or a penalty. People should think more by themself, and stop being such sheep.

It's nothing to do with Mourinho. We've watched our games against them and other teams play them. You'd have to be blind to not see they get a massive amount of decisions in their favour. They play for it: diving, feigning injury, trying to influence the refs, etc...

There's only one man who could referee this game fairly.

coll-ina_1655159c.jpg

Edited by Zeta Orionis

Respect to Crackhole for taking the time to create an account on a Chelsea forum, just to bore us with "Barca are the best" fanboy attitude.

I wouldnt mind if Barca were winning everything as they do, but when they are finding it tough they will resort to anything to win, that involves diving of every form, feigning injury, surrounding the ref etc.

Crackhole what are your thoughts on Drogba getting sent off for apparently cutting Valdes in half a few years back when in reality Drogba didnt touch him? There are just too many examples of it over the years

It's nothing to do with Mourinho. We've watched our games against them and other teams play them. You'd have to be blind to not see they get a massive amount of decisions in their favour. They play for it: diving, feigning injury, trying to influence the refs, etc...

There's only one man who could referee this game fairly.

a>

I agree Collina was a great ref, and would be perfect. But still, what are your thoughts about the Barcelona-Inter Milan games? Surely that's a thron in the side of any conspiracy believers...

Respect to Crackhole for taking the time to create an account on a Chelsea forum, just to bore us with "Barca are the best" fanboy attitude.

I wouldnt mind if Barca were winning everything as they do, but when they are finding it tough they will resort to anything to win, that involves diving of every form, feigning injury, surrounding the ref etc.

Crackhole what are your thoughts on Drogba getting sent off for apparently cutting Valdes in half a few years back when in reality Drogba didnt touch him? There are just too many examples of it over the years

Be interesting to see where Crackhole is from.

I'm shocked that we managed to set ourselves up with this kind of tie. If someone had told me that we'd earn another showdown with Barcelona in the CL semi-finals after our appalling form of six weeks ago I'd have thought they were mad. Obviously Barca are about eight times better than we are and thus are favourites; we have a chance if we get a token Drogba/Lampard performance but we're gonna struggle and Robbie D has a lot on his plate.

However true this 'Barca conspiracy' idea may or may not be, we're only going to make ourselves look bitter by consistently bringing it up. I am relishing the opportunity to face (maybe even beat?) one of the best teams I've ever seen play, and to see new Chelsea legends forged. If we're really lucky we may even get a chance to take that rat bar steward José down a few pegs...

However true this 'Barca conspiracy' idea may or may not be, we're only going to make ourselves look bitter by consistently bringing it up.

Agreed. I hope the club, management and players steer clear of it. Everyone knows what happened 3 years ago. There's no point drudging it up. In fact if we do I think it will motivate Barca, who will want to stuff our excuses down our throat, and show us they don't need any help. If it wasn't so widely known, there may be mileage in bringing it up. As it is, I think we could do ourselves a favour by showing a bit of class and let sleeping dogs lie.

As for these boards, of course we're going to bring it up. It was one of the worst nights of our lives and it was so unjust. You can't stop fans talking about it but I think the club need to be clever.

Besides, Mourinho is doing our talking for us.

He seems desperate for Chelsea to win this tie, and we all know why ..

He wants to win the competition.

I agree Collina was a great ref, and would be perfect. But still, what are your thoughts about the Barcelona-Inter Milan games? Surely that's a thron in the side of any conspiracy believers...

Didn't watch them.

Is Mourinho referring to the fact he thinks that Barca are miles better than Chelsea, or simply that it doesn't matter how well we play, the officials will ensure we don't progress?

Yes, the latter, that officials favour Barcelona.

I don't believe there to be a conspiracy per se but perhaps one of those quirks of football that top clubs tend to get the rub of the green more, and Uefalona particularly appear to.

For me I'd like to see some Mourinho/Fergusonesque physchology from Robbie too prior to this tie...

Wow, this article brought back some memories, both magical and harrowing in equal measure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/gallery/2012/apr/05/chelsea-barcelona-european-clashes-in-pictures?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

I remember Frank's chip in the Nou Camp from 2006 and to this day, In my opinion, he has never scored better.