Sturridge - is he good enough?

Zeta

Is it correct that he was getting some boos from Chelsea fans today (Wigan) ? I thought I heard a bit, but wasn't sure, but apparently they were talking about it on the radio a bit.

don't agree wiv booing own players but lets be honest his game is very in and out............yes he's got great left foot, quick and skillful etc - but his decision making is poor, he often beats himself by dallying and in the middle third unless he is running wiv the ball at a defender, which he is good at, he loses the ball cos he dallies especially wiv his back to the defender

he will get better but he's not yet the 'real mcoy. is he

I don't see this as disgraceful. Sturridge has been repeatedly bitching over not getting service from his teammates. Today, he did this more than usual, visibly calling out his own for not setting him up. Combine this with the fact that given the same option, he will shoot rather than pass, and so we have a guy who needs a smack. Of course strikers should get some slack for outbursts, but this selfish tack that Danny is taking is what's disgraceful. Team chemistry is not our strong point anyway, so we can't afford this nonsense.

I was at the game and very surprised at what happened, and very disappointed. Sturridge was having an awful game, he was largely anonymous, and very little came off. We were 1-0 up, Sturridge found himself in a good position in the box, in possession, and rather than playing the ball across goal for a teammate, he opted to shoot, very lackadaisically, and it hit the side netting, at which point the Matthew Harding vented their anger, and booed him pretty mercilessly. I was in the East Stand towards The Shed, and all the booing came from the other end, where the incident had taken place. Wigan scored a few moments later, Sturridge was immediately subbed, and boos rang out from other parts of the ground too, but mainly from the MH. I thought he would go straight down the tunnel but he went and sat down.

Got to say, it was bang out of order. He can be greedy, he can be casual, he can neglect his defensive responsibilties, but he has been one of the few players this season who has given us a real cutting edge. Far from perfect, may never be great, but we have needed him, far more than some of his more celebrated teammates. I think the trouble was today he looked uncommitted, and that's a cardinal sin.

It appears to me he's unhappy playing out wide and wants a shot at the centre-forward berth, seeing as Torres and Drogba rarely impress in that role. I understand his frustration and believe he would have contributed far more in the number 9 role over the course of the season than either of his competitors, however he has to be professional, he has to wait for his chance, he has to give his all for the team, and he has to keep his ego in check. One thing he doesn't lack is confidence, and hopefully today hasn't dented that too much, but he has to channel it properly, not become too big for his boots. There is no "I" in "TEAM" as they say.

He is playing for a top club, alongside very good players, who are in the hunt for the main prizes. He has a lot to be grateful for. It seems to me he may no longer be trying to impress out wide, because he badly believes he should be starting up front, but I'm afraid, if I'm right, this is not the way to go about it. All the same he didn't deserve what happened today, he would still make my first XI, but he has to put the team first, for if you don't you risk incurring the wrath of the fans, even though I thought it was out of order, given everything he has contributed this term.

Either he will nurse a bigger sense of grievance or he will use it to motivate himself and give us some great performances in the big games coming up. Let's hope it's the latter, and if he plays well, let's hope the crowd gives him some love.

C'mon Danny.

He's a good prospect at this stage nothing more.

Maybe so, but you can't win games without goals, and Danny has scored more in the Prem than both Torres and Drogba combined, who between them have played almost double the number of games. That's quite incredible. Put him up front, where Torres and Drogba play, and he'll score a lot more goals too. Danny may have his flaws but they're overstated, certainly in comparison to our centre-forwards, who have been crap, pretty much, apart from the odd game.

Generally I'm not in favour of booing players. It is unlikely to help them play better. However, I think there was a real justification today in Sturridge's case. He wasn't just appalling. He basically sulked his way through the match. I really wanted to go on the pitch and give him a big slap.

the booing of sturridge was pathetic....I agree he has lost form in the second half of the season and been too selfish at times...he is also too wound up about playing no.9 when he should be delighted to be playing for chelsea at all considering the club's record of playing young english players...BUT he's young, still learning the game and fans need to show some understanding and patience...bit of the nouveau fan coming out if you think booing your own player is acceptable because he makes a mistake...do you really think that will have a positive effect...leave it to robbie, the coaches and his team-mates to guide him...given his contribution in the first half of the campaign, he deserves a little more respect than the muppets who booed him showed today

If your only asset is scoring goals and almost everything else about your game is below Chelsea standard, then when you stop scoring goals, what do you think will happen? Applause?

His mentality is all wrong. I'm not saying he deserves to be booed. The way he sees the world, the booing won't help, it will only drive him deeper into that anger he almost always seems to have. The chip on his shoulder will get bigger.

I don't know what it will take to get his head ship-shape.

If your only asset is scoring goals and almost everything else about your game is below Chelsea standard, then when you stop scoring goals, what do you think will happen? Applause?

He's more skilful than you're acknowledging.

I think we should give him a game up front. We might have a centre-forward on our hands. Which would make a change.

Either that or we could sell him to Tottenham and watch him bang goals in for them.

He's more skilful than you're acknowledging.

I think we should give him a game up front. We might have a centre-forward on our hands. Which would make a change.

Either that or we could sell him to Tottenham and watch him bang goals in for them.

I'm not saying he isn't skillful. He is. He has bags of technical skill and, of course, lightning speed.

I am saying, however, that the only value all that skill has brought to the team so far has been goals. His passing, his football intelligence, his tracking back, his attitude -- all are below what you want from a Chelsea player.

He'll be replaced if he doesn't get it sorted out.

And he did get a game at CF. Just the one, it's true. But he wasn't impressive. And in the system Chelsea play, he's not a target man. Too small.

If Sturridge doesn't lose the laziness/selfishness/arrogance and start playing like he's in a team, he'll end up as another Defoe at best. Presumably the coach isn't getting through to him about it, so maybe the fans will.

Can't say I mind booing players who are being lazy tossers tbh. Players only deserve support if they're trying their best.

People booed the entire team today, and I could see why. Sturridge might have gotten some extra ones though.

Since he's been crap recently, been arrogant and not really acting as a team player, I bet there are quite a few who dislike him.

As long as he was scoring he appeared to be happy and then I can't remember seeing much trouble, but as soon as things starting going against him he's really changed his attitude for the worse. I hope he can change that in the future, because it's not a good thing in a player.

Never booed anyone Chelsea, never will. It seems to be something that's crept into the game just lately that fans boo their own team but I just don't see how it helps anything.

If you're a supporter, you support, end of.

I have never understood why people think booing will have any positive effect on a player or team, it will only ever have a negative effect and will be of no use to the player or team. But I do sort of understand the booing of Sturridge yesterday, even if I would never have done it. he`s so infuriatingly frustrating, so close to being a fantastic player for us yet seems to take 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I said something similar in the match thread, and yb quite rightly wondered why exactly I was surprised, but sections of our support (Davey Baby suggests they were isolated to the MH) were a disgrace today. They very effectively summarised the ridiculously fickle and spoilt nature of some of our fans post 2003.

Sturridge is indeed a selfish player at times. However, lets be honest and say he is a big part of why we are even in the race for 4th right now. How exactly he could be booed by any of our fans is beyond belief.

But again to most of our fans you are only as good as your last game.

The incident that most people were whining about was failing to pass in the box to Torres and taking on the shot. That situation is exactly the kind of one, where some of us have been clamouring for Torres to take on the shot himself, instead of passing! Any self respecting striker would shoot then, and Danny's only fault was that he didn't put a hole in the back of the net.

I said in the thread last night that those who booed or left early should do us all a favour and give their season ticket to someone else and not bother coming back. I stand by those comments in the cold light of day.