Who is our best ever player?

Tommy26

i went out for a few beers last night, and the conversation between me and some friend became about who is chelsea's best ever player, For me it was Gianfranco Zola, however my friends were of the opinion that if he had played in our title winning teams he would not been as good a player as he was

the players they chose were Frank, Drogba, Terry and Osgood

personally the fact that he was so superb for 7 years and the fact that Roman brought us off the back of winning the champions league, a season that at 36 years of age was his best ! 14 goals in the PL at 36, im almost certain thats by the most at that age !

LEGEND

I agree with you 100%

Zola is legend. He could turn games around with his trickery and make something out of nothing. I remember that first leg when we were at home against barca in the cl in 2000 and he was pinnacle in helping us win the game 3-1.

For me, Drogba's definitely up there. He's scored 4 in League Cup Finals and 3 in FA Cup Finals which have us six trophies. He's a man for the big occasion and has had an excellent goal return despite feeding off scraps for most of his Chelsea career. This was shown when Torres came in and couldn't score without good service, but Drogba has the ability to feed off bits and pieces and still put the ball in the back of the net. So you laugh when he's being mentioned for Chelsea's best ever player, despite him scoring in the Final of all FA Cup and League Cup competitions since he's joined. Well for me he's certainly a contender, and although he may not have the artistry of Zola, it's ridiculous that he is being discarded as a contender.

When you compare some of Chelsea's best ever players in my lifetime - Greaves, Tambling, Osgood, Harris, Bonetti, Cooke, Hudson, Wilkins, Dixon, Clarke, Vialli, Di Matteo, Desailly & Petrescu, to name but a few - Drogba just isn't in their class.

Just my opinion, of course...

When you compare some of Chelsea's best ever players in my lifetime - Greaves, Tambling, Osgood, Harris, Bonetti, Cooke, Hudson, Wilkins, Dixon, Clarke, Vialli, Di Matteo, Desailly & Petrescu, to name but a few - Drogba just isn't in their class.

Still have the same opinion after his performance tonight?

Still feel that after today's game?

edit: woops, hadn't refreshed the page for a while!

Edited by Samdwich

Of course I have! Drogba had a great game today, just as he's had many great games for us in the past. That doesn't mean he's Chelsea's best ever player, ffs!

Not saying he is the best player ever ffs! Just checking to see if he had made your greatest player list. Spare a thought that he has helped win 3 pl titles one of which he was the leagues top scorer not forgetting the the fa cup victories and not forgetting the 105 th minute goal in the cl semi final that sent us into the final.

Its all just a matter of opinion really. For me i wouldnt say Cech is a legend. A good club servant but thats as far as it goes for me for now. Lampard will go down as a legend despite his disgraceful behaviour during the AVB time.

Not saying he is the best player ever ffs! Just checking to see if he had made your greatest player list. Spare a thought that he has helped win 3 pl titles one of which he was the leagues top scorer not forgetting the the fa cup victories and not forgetting the 105 th minute goal in the cl semi final that sent us into the final.

There are loads of players who'd make the greatest Chelsea player list, Drogba included, but the initial post in this thread was talking about the best ever Chelsea player.

When I get a bit of time I'll try and select the players that I think would make the best ever list. Even then, it'll only be my view on things over the years - everybody has got their own opinion, and I very much doubt if any two Chelsea fans would pick the exact same top twenty Chelsea players, or even the same top ten.

I do, he'd still get in the midfield if I was picking the team!

BlueBeard, I know it's been done before but I'd be interested to see your all time team - not meaning to hijack the thread but following some of the players you've listed above as potentially some of our best ever it would be interesting to see.

The best player I've seen in a Chelsea shirt ever is Alan Hudson. Second to him is Zola. Osgood also for his goals.

I would place Terry higher than Lampard, but that's just because I like his style better, and I would place Wise over them two again. The Chopper at the same place as Wise.

Drogba is not anywhere near top 10 for me. Stupid behavior in important matches (Moscow final anyone?) and constant complaints about changing clubs etc etc, not a legend in my book. He's more of an icon than a legend imo.

I wonder of those who saw Jimmy Greaves and Ossie play who would they regard as superior?

Seems to me that despite the importance of Ossie's goals, in both the FA Cup and Cup Winner's Cup finals, Greaves was just a freak of nature. But that is only from reading about both, I never saw either play.

Frank Lampard will always be in my opinion our best player ever. Drogba, despite his important goals for us that have seen us win a lot of trophies ruined it for himself in Moscow with that stupid slap which in hindsight cost us the CL. As someone up there said he is more of an icon than a legend.

For me the CL Final didnt make me think less of Drogba, it was his first 2 seasons at the club, each summer saying he didnt know if he would stay and constantly rolling around the pitch, it was shameful.

All those comments about Drogba don't make him less of a player though. They make him less of a legend but not less of a player.

For me with the success we've had in recent years anyone of our players that has been a major part of that must be very close to our best ever in their position. Not saying Drogba is better than Ossie, but would Ossie have got in our League winning side ahead of Drogba and made it better?

That's a question and not a statement by the way. That's why I'd like to see Steve's team, obviously you're looking at the best in each position and not who could play well together. Opinions are great aren't they!

True what you said about Drogba, but I still don't think he's one of our best players ever. Too many off-days, and there were several people that wanted to sell him the first two seasons when he missed 1 on 1 against the keeper like it was nothing.

I forgot to mention Gullit. He's also one of the best players I've ever seen in a Chelsea jersey, even though he probably had peaked before his days here. Great physical presence, good on the ball and very experienced.

BlueBeard, I know it's been done before but I'd be interested to see your all time team - not meaning to hijack the thread but following some of the players you've listed above as potentially some of our best ever it would be interesting to see.

This is going to be tough, but I'll have a go!

I started by trying to pick what I believed to be the best Chelsea team since I started attending games in 1967. One thing led to another, and now I've got a first best, second best, third & fourth. These selections are only my personal opinion, and I must stress that they are picked purely on footballing ability alone - I haven't picked anyone just because they are a favourite of mine.

Peter Bonetti

Steve Clarke - Marcel Desailly - John Terry - Eddie McCreadie

Charlie Cooke - Alan Hudson - Dennis Wise - Arjen Robben

Peter Osgood - Gianfranco Zola

Petr Cech

Ron Harris - Ricardo Carvalho - Frank Leboeuf - Ashley Cole

Pat Nevin - Ray Wilkins - Claude Makelele - Peter Houseman

Kerry Dixon - Bobby Tambling

Eddie Niedzwiecki

Albert Ferrer - David Webb - William Gallas - Graeme Le Saux

Dan Petrescu - Robbie Di Matteo - Frank Lampard - Damien Duff

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - Didier Drogba

(I'm struggling here - gone 4-3-3)

Ed De Goey

Branislav Ivanovic - Alex - Paul Elliott - Tony Dorigo

John Hollins - Gus Poyet - Michael Essien

Gianluca Vialli - Ian Hutchinson - Mark Hughes

I know I've taken some diabolical liberties there - I know Super Dan wasn't a right winger, but a wing-back, I know Ivanovic isn't a natural right-back, and I know Gallas is a total c*nt, but I'm sticking with my selections.

I'm sure I'm gonna get slaughtered now :smile:

And to think I left out...Tommy Baldwin, John Dempsey, Micky Droy, John Phillips Ian Brittan, Johnny Boyle, Marvin Hinton, Kenny Swain, Gary Locke, Davie Hay, Steve Finnieston, Steve Wicks, Clive Walker, Ray Lewington, Eamonn Bannon, Petar Borota, Johnny Bumstead, Colin Pates, Joey Jones, Paul Canoville, David Speedie, Joe McLaughlin, Nigel Spackman, Micky Thomas, Gordon Durie, Graham Roberts, Kevin Hitchcock, Ken Monkou, Graham Stuart, Erland Johnsen, Eddie Newton, John Spencer, Gavin Peacock, Mark Stein, Glen Hoddle, Ruud Gullit, Tore Andre Flo, Pierluigi Casiraghi, Mikael Forssell, Mario Melchiot, Emerson Thome, George Weah, Carlo Cudicini, Mario Stanic, Emmanuel Petit, Jesper Gronkjaer, Adrian Mutu, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Joey Cole, Geremi, Wayne Bridge, Hernan Crespo, Didier Deschamps, Robert Huth, Tiago, Paulo Ferreira, John Obi Mikel, Michael Ballack, Nicolas Anelka, Yuri Zhirkov and many more.

In my near quarter of a century (jesus is it that long?!) since my first game I would have to say Zola. He was loved by other fans (in the most) and adored by us. I got to say the early days of me going , John Bumstead , Ken Monkou , Dixon , Wilson , Mcallister , Roger Freestone , Erland Johnsen (ha ha) . I'm roaring laughing at where we were!

Cant pick one best ever - Best ever for positions yes, but overall best ever is impossible...How can you compare Zola to Bonnetti or Chopper or Dixon or Goldbeck etc.... impossible.

GK - Cech (I cant choose bonetti as i only saw him in a handful of old re-runs) I started following th blues in 86 and Cech is the bets of the bunch we have had since then.

Defender - Desailly. Composed, classy, read the game like no other and brilliant with the ball.

Midfielder - Wisey. Didnt have the ability of some, but hard working, full of courage, great passer, goal threat, ran all day and inveriably had a smile on his face.

Up front - Dixon. Purely because he was the reason i fell in love with Chelsea. I remember watching him bring a ball down from the air like it was the most natural thing to do. Could do it all...Fast, Score with both feet, and dangerous in the air.

Sorry Franco....