Last 8 Games

Liverpool (Home)

Swansea (Away)

Bolton (Home)

Stoke (Home)

Wigan (Away)

Man City (Home)

Everton (Away)

To be honest, I'm starting to worry about keeping 5th. We're tied on points with Newcastle and it's almost a guarantee that we'll drop some points.

Newcastle are playing well right now. They will drop points as well, but they could get some results and put some real pressure on the lads.

It's one thing to miss out on the CL. It's really going to be a mental blow if we lose out on the CL and the Europa.

Villa (Away)Always a very tough game. They turned us over at the bridge as well this season.

Wigan (Home)easy 3 points

Fulham (Away) Again could be a tough game.

Arsenal (Away)Very tough game with their run of form. If we lose that then all hope of 4th is gone imo.

QPR (Home)I think with a decent ref this time we should win.

Liverpool (Away)Again we have lost to them twice this season.

Blackburn (Home)I think it will be decided by the time this game comes around, but it will be 3 points all the same.

I think it will be

D

W

W

L

W

L

W.

So 13 points out of 24.

I actually think we will win all our home games, but its the away fixtures that will ultimatley do for us.

Not only do we have to the two toughies at Anfield and Arsenal the other matches are at places where we have struggled before. Villa Park this Saturday being a prime example. I do think Spurs are going to drop points but, hand on heart , im pretty certain we will in these fixtures too. Sadly any possible progession in the Champions League will count against us too.

Thats why Saturdays game was so dispiriting and such a great chance thrown away. We shouldve gone all guns blazing in the last 20 mins like it was a cup tie, but to see us sitting back so meekly was pitiful. We were even hanging on in the end, and for that alone when we dont make the top 4 (im now 99% sure we wont) nobody can say we deserved to.

Even with the very obvious flaws in our squad and setup its been a shambles of a League season , it really has.

Edited by bjd

Which means the FA Cup could be VERY important to us this season.

Out of interest does anyone know if what happens if we get to the final against Liverpool and lose? Bearing in mind they have already secured Europa qualification?

Out of interest does anyone know if what happens if we get to the final against Liverpool and lose? Bearing in mind they have already secured Europa qualification?

f**k me bjd, that's a scenario that is just too horrible to contemplate.

I'd say it depends on what kind of mood Platini is in...but Liverpool won't get to the final

It's that middle block we've got to hit some sort of form for - Fulham (A), Arsenal (A), QPR (H), Liverpool (A). If we can got to Arsenal on the back of a win and set the record straight there, then we can settle a score with QPR at home. Liverpool away is always a bad fixture for me - but it's got to be won.

The boys just have to deliver. That's it.

It's all very well people saying keep the faith but have they been watching the same set of players as the rest of us? I would love to have reason to be more optimistic but sorry folks it just ain't gonna happen.

It's all very well people saying keep the faith but have they been watching the same set of players as the rest of us? I would love to have reason to be more optimistic but sorry folks it just ain't gonna happen.

maybe not we have a tough run in but the season aint over and with two cups still to play for it could be a nice end to the season. i do understand what your saying but we had worse seasons.

maybe not we have a tough run in but the season aint over and with two cups still to play for it could be a nice end to the season. i do understand what your saying but we had worse seasons.

The trouble with success is that it becomes easy to forget the not so glorious times - I'll admit that. I was there when we were getting relegated to the old second division or "when we were sh*t" as the opposing fans like to remind us!

But I cannot recall in recent times, a worse season than this one. Sure, we are still in the Champions League but who honestly, deep down would put any money on us winning it? If we do magae to get past Benfica, can anyone really see us troubling Madrid or Barca with this current squad of ours?

That leaves the FA Cup and I'd be over the moon Brian if we managed to win it and with Utd, City and Arsenal out we do have a better than average chance but we need to play a lot better than we have last couple of games to get past Sp*rs and whoever else makes it to the final. This has been a really bad season IMO but the FA Cup would ceertainly go a long way in making it better.

Edited by Nibs

The way things are going I reckon we will give up on 4th if we lose further ground in the next week or so. If we make it to the Champions League semi surely RDM will start thinking about resting players for those games rather than chasing a ghost of a chance for 3rd/4th. Maybe won't be a bad thing that way either if it gives some of the younger players e.g. Piazon, Lukaku, Bertrand, Hutch a run out.

One of the good things about the Benfica result is the team's renewed spirit. Resting Lamps, Bossy, Sturridge and Drogba -- even Essien -- may pay dividends against Aston Villa. After not very convincing games against Spurs and City, Di Matteo had no choice but to put fresh legs on the pitch. With luck, we'll reap the dividends at Villa Park.