Jack Butland to Chelsea?

Celery1989

This rumour has been gaining momentum in the last few days and might have some backing to it, according to Sky sources:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8452057/Transfer-news-Chelsea-make-approach-for-Birmingham-City-goalkeeper-Jack-Butland

I find this pretty difficult to believe, it makes no sense whatsoever: Cech will be able to play for comfortably another 3/4 years, and Courtois is also waiting in the wings. Why on earth would we want to sign Butland?

If it happens then i would assume that the plan is to keep Courtois out on loan next season. Turnbull and Hillario are out of contract in the Summer and I would assume the club wont be renewing - its worth remembering that Turnbull currently fufills a very important place in the squad due to his homegrown status (which Butland would then replace)/

So i dont think its too weird, he seems to be quite rated and due to the issues at Birmingham he would be avaliable cheaper than normal -    my only surprise would be Butland actually choosing to come here.

It may seem odd for Butland to give up first choice to come and be a backup, but don't uinderestimate the fact that if he came here he could learn from and train with Cech, one of the best keepers of the last decade. Whilst it seems to have no effect on Turnbull whatsoever, Butland is still young and the experience of training with Cech could be more important to him than playing a few extra years in a lower division.

If it happens then i would assume that the plan is to keep Courtois out on loan next season. Turnbull and Hillario are out of contract in the Summer and I would assume the club wont be renewing - its worth remembering that Turnbull currently fufills a very important place in the squad due to his homegrown status (which Butland would then replace)/

So i dont think its too weird, he seems to be quite rated and due to the issues at Birmingham he would be avaliable cheaper than normal -    my only surprise would be Butland actually choosing to come here.

Yeah, that struck me as a bit off as well, but if you consider how young he is, it makes a bit more sense. Rather than make a move and possibly be thrown to the wolves, he can come into a situation where he can learn and continue to grow as a keeper and by the time his contract is over, he'll still be in his early 20s and can make a move somewhere to start. 

It makes a ton of sense. Turnbull is awful and Hilario is out of favor. We desperately need a better backup keeper and Butland is young and talented.

To me, it makes absolutely no sense. Turnbull may be awful, and Hilario may be out of favour, but we have Courtois who is young and VERY talented.

To me, it makes absolutely no sense. Turnbull may be awful, and Hilario may be out of favour, but we have Courtois who is young and VERY talented.

Courtois needs to be loaned out to another Premiership team next year. It'd be a complete waste to keep him on as Cech's backup.

Besides, you can never have too many quality goalkeepers. 

Cech is likely to be around for AT LEAST another 5 years, maybe even close to 10.

To expect Courtois to sit on the bench for 5 years is utterly ludicrous considering many regard him as the best goalkeeper in the best league in the world. To then expect one of the most promising goalkeepers in the country in Butland sit on the bench behind Courtois who's behind Butland is absolute madness.

Cech is likely to be around for AT LEAST another 5 years, maybe even close to 10.

To expect Courtois to sit on the bench for 5 years is utterly ludicrous considering many regard him as the best goalkeeper in the best league in the world. To then expect one of the most promising goalkeepers in the country in Butland sit on the bench behind Courtois who's behind Butland is absolute madness.

You're putting words in peoples' mouths. Nobody expects Courtois to sit on the bench for 5 years. Eventually, a choice between Cech and Courtois must be made. That time, however, is not now and therefore a backup is needed.

Loan Courtois out for another year. Bring Butland in now as back up to Cech give him game time in cups next season and in PL. Then get some money off Cech in 2 or 3 years. And Courtois as number 1 and Butland playing often as well. Look at Tottenham with Lloris and Friedel.

Not needed, Courtois and Delac are already good enough to take over one and two duties, I believe both would also qualify for homegrown status on turning 21. Cech will not be around for another 5+ years.

On the other hand, Butland is English, which as far as I can see is the only reason Turnbull was bought in the first place, with the Home Grown rule in mind. For that reason alone he may be a more practical long-term replacement than Courtois.

Strange one this. Makes sense for us,a young highly rated english keeper for a relatively small fee, worst case for us is we sell him on for a profit probably. Though like others I don't see why he would choose to sign for us to be reserve keeper knowing we have possibly the best young keeper in europe to come in too.

That does make more sense.  Though it would still leave us with one hell of a headache a year down the line with 3 starting quality goalkeepers on our books. Granted, neither Turnbull nor Hilario are good enough to be our backup goalies, so we will need an upgrade. However, given how highly rated both Courtois and Butland are, I can't see either wanting to be a backup.

He's too good of a keeper, for his age, to be wasted being second fiddle. There's only so much he can learn from Cech, it's playing regular football that makes the most improvement. Who's to say it would do any good anyway, I'm sure Bertrand has been shadowing Cole for a while now and he's hardly improved vastly.

Also from my understanding, Delac will count as homegrown. While he's barely played during his loan spells, he's still a good enough keeper to be counted on as a back up.

Hi all Birmingham City fan here. For the price quoted (£3m) he's an absolute steal, he's already one of the best keepers in the Championship and still years away from his peak. If he stays injury free he'll be pushing Joe Hart for the England spot in 5 years time. He can be a bit hesitant with crosses and his kicking is a bit dodgy, but that's the case with most young keepers and it'll improve with experience and gametime. But one thing he has got is an excellent shot-stopping ability; he's pulled off a couple of truly outstanding saves this season, and has already won us a fair few points - quite frankly we'd be bottom 3 without him - and he's excellent in one-on-one situations.  Check out for yourself:

I genuinely hope he goes to Chelsea, simply because you're the only club likely to pay us near to what he's actually worth!

Archived