Cech or Courtois?

TomW

Number 1 Next Season  

335 members have voted

1. 1. Cech or Courtois?

• Cech
    • Courtois

In my opinion Cech is on the decline and has been for quite a while. He sometimes shows glimpses of what he used to be (Andy Carroll save, Munich performance) but he's not as good as he was. Saturdays performance was once again very poor. Didn't look like he even tried to save the first. He should have pushed the second goal wide instead of back into play. The third goal wasn't even in the corner. Had that been Ross Turnbull everyone on here would be crucifying his performance.

In a perfect world I would like to see Courtois spend a season on loan at a Premier League club. But his performances for Atletico would suggest he is ready to come straight to Chelsea. And I can't see him being happy going from a team that is winning trophies to playing for a mid-table Premier League team.

I love Pete, and IMO he's the 2nd best keeper in the league.

Despite that, I would still say Courtois. I think he would be the best GK in the league, plus 1st team action is the best way to secure him for the future.

I think that next season should be Cech's last for us, with Courtois getting some EPL loan experience in the process.

Sorry Pete. 

Cech's only thirty, that's not old for a keeper at all. Any suggestion of his decline is premature.

So because his age isn't old for a keeper that automatically means he isn't on the decline? Different players peak at different times. While he may not be making major mistakes he isn't playing at the standards he has set over the last 9 seasons.

I think the stuff about Cech being in decline is rubbish to be honest, the guy has been in fine form for us 3 years running now. If it wasn't for him then we would have dropped even more points then have done, this season and last.

I would rather stick with a goalkeeper that is still performing then risk Courtois right now. Some may not see it as a risk but i thought De Gea was going to be a world class goalkeeper when he arrived, he's been anything but that right now. I'm not saying Courtois will be the same but i would rather not risk it just yet.

So because his age isn't old for a keeper that automatically means he isn't on the decline? Different players peak at different times. While he may not be making major mistakes he isn't playing at the standards he has set over the last 9 seasons.

Fortunately for us (in my opinion), the people who make the decisions would seem to disagree with you on Cech.

I could write a better response but it would just be saying pretty much the same thing as Scott Harris' above.

Tough one considering everything big pete has done for us but I really believe Courtois will be the best keeper in the world in a few years and we can't risk losing him so as much as it hurts to say it

Courtois.

Cech is too good to warm the bench when he can easily start for some of the worlds best clubs.

I love Pete, and IMO he's the 2nd best keeper in the league.

Despite that, I would still say Courtois. I think he would be the best GK in the league, plus 1st team action is the best way to secure him for the future.

I think that next season should be Cech's last for us, with Courtois getting some EPL loan experience in the process.

Sorry Pete. 

2nd best? Who's first? 

Amazing how fast people turn on the man that won us the CL almost single hand. 

No doubt Courtois is good keeper, but sometimes all this media hype about a player can just be that. hype. 

Cech. 

We would appear to have 50 players on our books that aren't required. Think of the wage bill.

Best keeper in the Spanish league for the past 2 seasons and needs as much experience as possible in our net rather than Atleticos.

Petr has been a great servant but unfortunately isn't as good as he was when he first arrived on a consistent basis and seems to be struggling more with injuries than he has previously; I remember the club doctor saying at the start of the 11-12 seasons that he probably only had 2 seasons left in him before his back goes.

As much as it pains me to say it Courtois needs to become first choice, otherwise he may become tired of waiting and want to go off to Barca or wherever and leave us with a goalkeeping problem when Cech finally does go.

Yes, Cech is not "declining" as such but just think back to how good he actually was; in my opinion his performances have dropped slightly but still he is a class act and one of if not the best in the league and up there with the best in the world.

Amazing how fast people turn on the man that won us the CL almost single hand. 

No doubt Courtois is good keeper, but sometimes all this media hype about a player can just be that. hype. 

Cech. 

Petr was very average last season too. His performance in the CL was very good but that shouldn't gloss over his poor performances.

At the moment, in my opinion it's Begovic. He's been incredible this season, and probably the most consistent.

I think the prem is blessed with goalkeepers, has been for some time i think. The 3 worst first team goalkeepers in the prem right now in my opinion is Ferderici, Reina and De Gea.

No he wasn't, he was saving our asses plenty of times last season.

He should be saving our asses plenty of times. And I don't have a problem with that but I do have a problem with him failing to make saves that Courtois would make and that Petr would have made a couple of years ago.

cech is the better keeper right now.

i would consider letting him go & bringing courtois in because cech seems to be getting injured a lot for a keeper & seems pretty broken down in general. 

there would certainly be an immediate dip in quality if we did that but it could well benefit us in the long term...if we don't bring him in soon i think we will lose courtois, which would be a big negative imo. 

i wouldn't want to see either go, but they can't both be our number 1 & they both deserve to be number 1, whichever club they are at. 

it's a nice conundrum to have. 2 genuinely world class keepers on the books. 

I love cech and he's been a top goalkeeper for us prolly the best ever? (I'm only 24 so I haven't seen em all obviously) but I fear if we stick with him which he rightly deserves then Courtois may not wait to get his chance cuz he's already a top keeper at 20? And prolly thinks he's too good to have his future undecided. But if barca are interested like we think then who's to say we bring him back to Chelsea and he has a great season that barca wont come in and make an offer and he's off cuz all players seem to book the plane tickets to Spain soon as barca and madrid especially over the last few years, then where does that leave us...no Cech and a Courtois who's had his head turned

Archived