Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Number 1 Next Season  

335 members have voted

1. 1. Cech or Courtois?

• Cech
    • Courtois

I dont think he is that great at all. Its only because he plays at United that it makes him look better than he is.

Uniteds backline arent in no way great and week in week out hes saving them points

Against chelsea alone he produced some fantastic saves

He won't wait that long, he'll be off to barca...his contract expires 2016 and he refused to sign a new on in the summer cos he wants to see what Chelsea's plans are first...if he's bombed out on loan again, I think chelsea will find it hard to keep him

Completely agree Brit, think on this one we have to just bite the bullet and let Courtois be our keeper. At the minute he has no relationship with the club, which has been made clear from his recent interview. 

We can't afford to let him go no matter how good cech is still. 

Cech will not play as long as VDS, most goalkeepers don't play that long in normal circumstances and Cech's injury takes a couple years off that anyways.

If you don't think Courtois has proved himself, ah lord save me, just watch him play. Because I'm quite sure 95% haven't even seen him play a game.

And should we drop our number 1 legend simply because the next big thing comes around? No! We should seriously consider that position when a special player comes along, and that's what Courtois is, he's not just a prospect, he's a special player. He's been THE number 1 goalkeeper in Liga for the past 2 years, undisputedly number 1.

Are you basically saying if we had Cech in his current age and had the possibilty to sign Casillas when he was 21 you wouldn't?.

Always feel sorry for Pete. He so rarely gets the credit he deserves, his excellence is just standard for us now. Only time he gets a mention is when he makes a mistake, and then everyone calls for his head. 

Happens every year, and every year those people are wrong. He has many years in him yet and in my view we should be looking to leverage Courtois for as much money as we can get for him.

Always feel sorry for Pete. He so rarely gets the credit he deserves, his excellence is just standard for us now. Only time he gets a mention is when he makes a mistake, and then everyone calls for his head. 

Happens every year, and every year those people are wrong. He has many years in him yet and in my view we should be looking to leverage Courtois for as much money as we can get for him.

It was the same as for Lampard, they were performing at such an incredibly high and consistent level that it became expected. Any lessening of those performances and it was highlighted that they were on the decline. 

Who is to say that in a year or two another keeper wont come along who will be better than Courtois?

Well there hasnt been a goalkeeper like him in Spain since Casillas. And that was 13 years ago? In fact, in Europe, the only goalkeepers Ive seen at his level and age are Casillas and Neuer the last 15 years. So I think the chances another one like him coming along the next two years is pretty slim.

I don't know what more Courtois has to do to prove that he is ready to play for us. If 3 fantastic seasons at Athletico and 2 years of EL and CL football isn't enough then we might as well scrap our entire youth system.

Fair enough not wanting Cech to leave but stating he's proved nothing in the EPL as a reason is quite frankly ridiculous. Going by that logic we wouldn't have a vast majority of the players we do now.

It's time the club made some serious decisions come the end of the season, can't put it off any longer. 

I don't know what more Courtois has to do to prove that he is ready to play for us. If 3 fantastic seasons at Athletico and 2 years of EL and CL football isn't enough then we might as well scrap our entire youth system.

He never was, has, or will ever be part of Chelseas youth system.

He never was, has, or will ever be part of Chelseas youth system.

I think he means if we aren't willing to give this kid a chance... who has been exceptional for the past 3 years, then realistically, when are we ever going to give an 'organic' youth product a proper go?

Edited by Zola

The problem with your arguement is that the other players we buy can afford to have bedding in time. If Willian didnt work out then we still had plenty of players to cover.

Making Courtois number one is a massive risk because what if he doesnt hit the ground running? What if it takes him a season or two to get to grips with the league. The only way it would work is if Cech stayed but why would he? He still have years ahead of him. I cant name one team that he would walk into in the world, and lets face it he isnt going to go and join a team that wont effect us some how, he would go and join a Barca or Madrid, a team that would effect us in the Champions league. Who is to say he would want to leave England and could force through a deal to Arsenal.

My point is getting rid of a proven world class keeper to bring in a kid who to be fair looks very promising but hasnt touched a ball in the English league is a massive risk and one i dont think should be taken.

I dont see the harm in bringing Courtois back to England and sending him on loan. Lets have a look how he does against better teams than what Spain has to offer. No offense to Spain but they are a two team country and Madrid under Carlo are a joke so really right now Barca are the only good club he has to play against.

The problem with your arguement is that the other players we buy can afford to have bedding in time. If Willian didnt work out then we still had plenty of players to cover.

Making Courtois number one is a massive risk because what if he doesnt hit the ground running? What if it takes him a season or two to get to grips with the league. The only way it would work is if Cech stayed but why would he? He still have years ahead of him. I cant name one team that he would walk into in the world, and lets face it he isnt going to go and join a team that wont effect us some how, he would go and join a Barca or Madrid, a team that would effect us in the Champions league. Who is to say he would want to leave England and could force through a deal to Arsenal.

My point is getting rid of a proven world class keeper to bring in a kid who to be fair looks very promising but hasnt touched a ball in the English league is a massive risk and one i dont think should be taken.

I dont see the harm in bringing Courtois back to England and sending him on loan. Lets have a look how he does against better teams than what Spain has to offer. No offense to Spain but they are a two team country and Madrid under Carlo are a joke so really right now Barca are the only good club he has to play against.

With that sort of attitude we would never have had Petr Cech in the first place!!

Cech joined us as a 22 year old (one year older than Courtois!), and he was playing for Sparta Prague and Rennes before hand, less than 100 games.

Athletico have been in the champions league and europa, where he has excelled. He's smashed records in la liga, he is an immense talent. As for the two horse race thing, thats not really a valid point, as there is still a wealth of talent in La Liga, some even argue there's more than in the premier league.

Heres a little quote I had to pull from wiki, just for you

Courtois' loan to Atlético was extended to cover the 2012–13 season.[19] His first game of the loan extension was against parent club Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup final in Monaco, which ended in a 4-1 victory for Atlético Madrid. Later in the season Courtois set a new Atlético Madrid record of 820 minutes without conceding a goal at the Estadio Vicente Calderon,[20] ended by being beaten in a 1-0 loss to Real Sociedad.[21] Atlético reached the 2013 Copa del Rey Final, and Courtois was named man of the match[citation needed] in a 2–1 victory against city rivals Real, the first time that Atlético had beaten Real in 14 years.

I agree that if he didnt 'hit the ground running' then it could be an issue. But do you really think that would be the case? I dont.

Edited by Zola

I think its fair to say we are seing this from completely different viewpoints when your  using the phrase "Looks promising" about Courtis.

But yeah, lets see how he handles a cold night in Stoke first...

The fact that hes even compared to DeGea and how he was shaky in his first season in England is almost an insult to Courtis and level he is one. Its almost like calling Marin the German Messi, its taking the piss is what it is.

Edited by Xfaxtor

I think he means if we aren't willing to give this kid a chance... who has been exceptional for the past 3 years, then realistically, when are we ever going to give an 'organic' youth product a proper go?

Thing with outfield players is you can rotate and switch them out and play them together and whatnot. Goalkeeper isn't a position you rotate at all and its far more difficult for a kid to replace Cech, one of the best in the world in a position that doesn't need changing. 

With that sort of attitude we would never have had Petr Cech in the first place!!

Not really, We had Carlo who was a very good keeper, so if Cech hadnt done that well then Carlo would have been the man.

My worry is if Chelsea do make Courtois number 1 then why would Cech stay? And if he didnt stay then we could be in trouble.

Not really, We had Carlo who was a very good keeper, so if Cech hadnt done that well then Carlo would have been the man.

My worry is if Chelsea do make Courtois number 1 then why would Cech stay? And if he didnt stay then we could be in trouble.

You make a valid point! It is a risk indeed.

I think its fair to say we are seing this from completely different viewpoints when your using the phrase "Looks promising" about Courtis.

But yeah, lets see how he handles a cold night in Stoke first...

The fact that hes even compared to DeGea and how he was shaky in his first season in England is almost an insult to Courtis and level he is one. Its almost like calling Marin the German Messi, its taking the piss is what it is.

De Gea is top class now, though.

Mourinho has two options regarding the keeper situation.

He either takes the bull by the horns and tells his world class keeper he will be debunked next season

Or throws in his support behind Cech and puts Courtois up for sale.

Cech still has plenty to offer at the highest levels and is good for another decade at the top.

Writing him off is dangerous and could lead to dressing room disharmony.

I don't see Mourinho parting with Cech.

Not to do with Courtois but does anyone realise how underrated Cech is by other people? I saw a recent discussion elsewhere about goalkeepers and Cech's ability was discussed. Some people say he doesn't deserve to be in the highest category (even putting the likes of Chesney ahead) because of  the number of mistakes he makes. And then some people were then compared him to Hart in the levels of mistakes he makes. Like wtf? It seems some people just don't seem to realise/seem to forget the games where he performs brilliantly, and that he really doesn't make as many mistakes as people think. 

I don't want to let Courtois go but stilll -- Cech is underrated as hell. 

I dont see big pete jumping ship at the first sign of real competition in a decade. The club have stood by him through hus injury, and even kept lollichon coaching him despite the numberous changes of coaching staff.

I think we bring courtois back next season, and im in no doubt he will earn the number 1 spot, if he does struggle cech will still be here.

The only way cech will go is if he isnt getting games, the only way he wont get games, is if courtois is playing well.