Victor Wanyama

dwonder

I am sure that quite a number of our forum members watched the Celtic vs Juventus game on Tuesday. While it was one of the best displays i have seen from a team from Scotland, I had my eyes focused on a particular Wanyama chiefly because i missed  Celtics's game against Barcelona where he got rave reveiws and also due to the fact that i wanted to see if he is not a 'flash in the pan' variety and he did nt dissapoint. He absolutely controlled the midfield against the likes of Pirlo, Vidal and Marchisio and not only performed excelently in breaking up play but joining the attack. He was very mobile and with good ball retention and passing technique. Something ramires for all his good attributes lacks. I believe if we can steal this guy from under the noses of the Mancs, we would be getting ourselves a superb player that can fit into a multitude of roles, and offer an attacking perspective hitherto lacking in our team. The fact that he will cost around 10m as opposed to around 30m for fellaini also wins my approval and we can afford to sell Romeu, release lampard, sell Mikel if there are takers and bring back Essien and KDB to play with him without a major outlay in resources should also be a bonus. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Victor Wanyama......

Honestly didn't see him do anything fantastic, I thought Celtic's good performance for 80 or so minutes of that game was due to the hard work in pressing of the Celtic players as a whole, which isn't something they could probably do regularly.

That being said we need a player in that positions and theres a lack of quality options in world football in that role right now, and the ones that are quality are getting on and/or probably wouldn't come.

Why would we let Lampard and Mikel go and bring back Essien?

And no I don't think we need Wanyama.  I say we stick with Mikel, Lampard, Ramires, De Bruyne, and have Romeu and Chalobah as youth team prospects

Mikel is not much of an attacking force, Lampard is short term, De Bruyne is not a holding type midfielder, Ramires is not a central player at all and Romeu hasn't impressed.

We need a central player or two even...

Mikel is not much of an attacking force, Lampard is short term, De Bruyne is not a holding type midfielder, Ramires is not a central player at all and Romeu hasn't impressed.

I suppose we should buy Willian, and all his brothers and cousins to play there?

We certainly need more central midfielders. Saaladins comments on the current squad are absolutely correct, and Lampard is likely going anyway.

Wanyama caught the eye in the celtic juventus game. No doubt about it, I was thinking to myself this guy looks good, same way that Dembele was catching the eye last season. He just looked like he belonged on that stage.

What is he then? I suppose you thought he was better on the right at the start of the season? I really wouldn't be surprised.

That said, I certainly wouldn't be averse to bringing in Wanyama to shore up the midfield.

regarding Ramires, From what I've seen he is far better suited to playing the right side in a 4:3:3 system than any other role. He has not done that well as either an out and out right winger or as one of two deeper lying central midfielders.

Changing the system in the past few years doesn't seem to have really suited a number of players, other than perhaps Mata. Hazard seems a natural enough left wing but neither Mata nor Oscar are natural wide players.

Neither Lampard nor Ramires are that good as deep central. Lampard makes far too many defensive mistakes and Ramires can't use his pace and reasonable shooting ability as much as he should.

From what I've seen I like Luiz in the centre of midfield as much as anyone I've seen there this season although before he played there it didn't seem like it would work.

Ramires Mikel/Luiz Lampard/Oscar

Mata Ba Hazard

Oscar is now out of position. Hard to get it right.

Guest RFC_CFC

Now now, you're just biased! :biggrin:

I've seen him play more than most on here I'd bet.

He's not a good player and certainly not for Chelsea.

he's built like a tank but is a poor footballer, have you seen some of his games in the SPL, it's woefull.

Another case of some people watching the odd game in Europe and thinking the player is a superstar

LOL

regarding Ramires, From what I've seen he is far better suited to playing the right side in a 4:3:3 system than any other role. He has not done that well as either an out and out right winger or as one of two deeper lying central midfielders.

Changing the system in the past few years doesn't seem to have really suited a number of players, other than perhaps Mata. Hazard seems a natural enough left wing but neither Mata nor Oscar are natural wide players.

Neither Lampard nor Ramires are that good as deep central. Lampard makes far too many defensive mistakes and Ramires can't use his pace and reasonable shooting ability as much as he should.

From what I've seen I like Luiz in the centre of midfield as much as anyone I've seen there this season although before he played there it didn't seem like it would work.

Ramires Mikel/Luiz Lampard/Oscar

Mata Ba Hazard

Oscar is now out of position. Hard to get it right.

By that do you mean on the right side of a midfield three? If so then that's exactly what I meant by a central player. If you meant as a forward in a 4-3-3 then that's pretty much a right winger, albeit maybe not an out and out one.

If we were going after defensive mids I'd prefer to get someone who can do more than just sit back and cover the back four. Saaladin's notion of Mikel being not much of a help going forward is a huge understatement, he has zero input creatively. He is big and strong and tough to knock off the ball, but he's a limited player.

We need someone who's mobile enough to contribute on both ends and still have physical presence to provide the cover for the defense and bully the opposition. The best in the business in this position, players like Busquetz or De Rossi are good examples of it. Mikel, even at his best doesn't come close, he simply doesn't have the attributes.

I don't think Wanyama is good enough, btw. We need to look at players like Kevin Strootman from PSV, players who are versatile enough to do their own job and help the team in other areas.

Guest RFC_CFC

Hardly, he's only 21.

That has nothing to do with my post......

Have you actually watched SPL football to make a fair assessment on him?

That has nothing to do with my post......

It has everything to do with it, according to you 'some people' mistakenly see him as a 'superstar'. People who know a thing or two about the game don't christen superstars at the age of 21, in fact, even people who know next to nothing about it usually don't.

Have you actually watched SPL football to make a fair assessment on him?

Aye, I usually catch a few games a month.

Only dodgy streams though, as we don't get any TV coverage of Scottish football in my neck of the woods. :sad:

You're missing the "bring back Essien" point.  Essien has had a lot of knee problems as of late and the OP was advocating getting rid of BOTH Mikel and Lampard to make way for the return of Essien.  This isn't a question of how people play, it's a question of having enough, fit players for the areas we need.  You seem to back the idea of letting Lampard and Mikel go, and then say "We need a central player or two even..." and I can't follow that logic

Another great option for the middle of the park would be Marco Verratti from PSG. He's been labeled as the next Pirlo, but he seems more combative and energetic to me. Looked class in the all the games that I've seen him in this year.

looked good against us in pre season aswell

Archived