Turned the corner ?

Zola

I know there's a lot of football yet to be played before we are in any way secure in the top 4.

However, does anyone else feel we have finally turned the corner a little? I think we have improved quite a bit in the last few games, looked a lot more positive. We are aware we have played against 'smaller' sides (with the exception for Manure), but we look a little more positive.

I don't know if Roman paid a visit and gave them all a reality check or if something else happened behind the scenes that we don't know about, but I think we are looking a bit better and hope it continues.

Hazard has really stepped up in the last few games, Mata as always. Lampard... what more can you say?

The only grumble I have is that Terry is being benched too much, hard to watch as the guy just loves the club and deserves to be playing. I don't know if FSW just doesnt fancy him at all, or if he is just saving him for the 'big games.'

Anyway, the past few games haven't been just as depressing as previously.

Like people saying Spurs end of season collapse has started, I'd say its a bit too early to tell. We're certainly playing better but it was only 12 days ago we put in one of the worst performances of the season against Steaua. Since the second half vs United we've looked a lot better with Hazard really stepping up and finding top form. Lampard, apart from the West Ham game has been pretty poor since the Newcastle match imo. 

But yes, it appears our players are starting to find some form just at the right time. Cole, Hazard, Luiz and Ramires have been particularly impressive in the last few games.

April is going to be a telling month that's for sure.

5 games in 2 weeks at the start of the month is going to be a brutal schedule and Benetiz is really going to have to manage the squad for this period.

The quality of football has improved generally in recent weeks although the first game against Bucuresti still left a lot to be desired.

1 Mon     Man Utd H FACP

4 Thu    Rubin Kazan H UEFA

7 Sun     Sunderland H PREM

11 Thu Rubin Kazan A UEFA

14 Sun    Tottenham H PREM

21 Sun    Liverpool A PREM

27 Sat     Swansea City H PREM

Looking at those fixtures there really aren't any where you would feel we are in for an easy time.

I hate to say (& await a barrage of abuse), but maybe Rafa's rant worked. 

It made it clear cut to us, that he wasn't staying beyond this season & perhaps made it clear to the players that they needed to focus if they wanted any success out of this season. 

I think the 2nd half comeback vs United has done a lot for confidence, although we played well prior to that vs WBA too.

The main difference in the last few games is that we've been a lot quicker in our build up play, the ball gets to Hazard soon as possible and he brings it forward. Up until recently we've played it to the full backs then a midfielder then back to a centre back and by then the defence is set.

So long as we keep giving it to Hazard early as possible we can rip teams open, with his pace and dribbling, he can make space for, and give time to, Mata to work his magic

We done ok of late,great second half at it and we bet a team from Romania which we should be winning against anyway and west ham if we didn't beat them at home we may aswell pack it in. Don't think we have turned the corner yet massive month ahead.

First of I hope Spuds season completely collapses, arse continue to stutter and the Citeh squad suffers a tummy bug. Nonetheless, on us it's been documented that players have discussed thoughts/comments/ideas. Also, as nearly all players will be going nowhere end of season perhaps it's dawned that to make a success of the season and play CL football next year now is the time to commit, work hard and up the tempo..

I don't think booing Rafa had a negative effect on the team at all. However, his rant in some small way made it clear to everyone that he is gone at the end of the year. This I'm sure was a relief to the players who probably see the end of this season and next season as a chance to make amends for poor performances in the last couple of months. We have been playing marginally better but I would attribute that to Hazard's form then anything else. He finally looks to have figured the PL out.

Very happy after a couple of great games... but don't think we've turned any corners - we've had a great squad all season and can outplay most teams, but we can't outfight most teams and when park the bus or rough us up we haven't always had an answer like we used to. Likewise there have been a few games we dominated but didn't win because of bad luck or sloppy mistakes.

A top 4 finish would be an okay end to the season, top 3 better and a cup would make it good - plenty to build on in the squad for next year, we just need a longer term manager and a plan!

Archived