Is Thibaut Courtois a better 1st choice keeper than Petr Cech?

Nemo0614
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

hi, ive been spending my time in the library revising for my finals debating this topic, mostly with myself to be honest...

i believe that courtois is a better keeper, i mean his stats for athletico speak for themselves really. also, as mourinho (if indeed he does come back) would have seen him playing against his old real side, surely he would appreciate how good he is. i mean the kid is only 21 and so has the potential to become even better!!!! 

but does mourinho (or whoever it is) have the balls to make petr a 2nd choice keeper, as there would be no point bringing courtois over for him to just sit on the bench. or is he not good enough be our 1st choice....

thoughts?

Nope - chec is still the best keeper in the league and argubaly the world.

2 things about chec that if non-keepers may no appriciate, he very, very rarely palms the ball back in to a

danger area, somthing the moddern day keeper seems to love, he will only punch when absaloutly neccasery and he probably the safest keep around right now under the cross.

I prefer to watch players in football matches and not on the numbers produced by stats

Not saying TC isnt going to be great but right now we have the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myljhwQjnoU

He's a great shot stopper, not sure he good is he dealing with cross ( something he must do in England). We got a real dilemma here, he's too good a player to sit on the bench, yet Cech is still in his prime. My fear is we keep loaning him out, his contract will be running down, and without an assurance of the No1 job, he will just walk away.

I think we may have to make Courtois number 1 sooner or later. I doubt he will stay next season if he isn't. Barcelona or Athletico Madrid will just come in for him and buy him on a permanent. He's isn't better than Cech at this moment in time but at Cech's age Courtois should turn out to be a better goalkeeper as he has better potential than Cech did at his young age. It's a big issue to sort out, the next manager will have a tough decision to make.

Edited by Erik

He's isn't better than Cech at this moment in time but at Cech's age Courtois should turn out to be a better goalkeeper as he has better potential than Cech did at his young age.

Cech was 19 (Courtois is 21 now) when he played his first and only season for Sparta Praha. He broke the league record when he played 903 consecutive minutes without conceding a goal. In Champions League that season he conceded his first goal in the group stages in the fifth match when Sparta had already qualified from the group. I'd say the potential was there for everyone to see.

And when Cech was 21, he was halfway through his time at Rennes. Courtois this year basically had Cech's 23-year-old season, best keeper in one of Europe's top leagues at a ridiculously young age. So Courtois isn't that far ahead, but he is playing in tougher matches than Cech at the same point.

Edited by Katon

Cech was 19 (Courtois is 21 now) when he played his first and only season for Sparta Praha. He broke the league record when he played 903 consecutive minutes without conceding a goal. In Champions League that season he conceded his first goal in the group stages in the fifth match when Sparta had already qualified from the group. I'd say the potential was there for everyone to see.

You aren't seriously comparing the Czech/French league to the Primera Liga surely? I'm not saying that Cech isn't a better goalkeeper, he is. I'm just saying at 21 years of age Courtois has more potential. 6 million pound for a 19 year old goalkeeper is a big investment. So much so that now we have Barcelona chasing him at 21 years of age.

Also wasn't Courtois playing regularly in the Belgian league at 18 years of age? Not many 20 year old goalkeepers can claim a European trophy at such a young age with a top 4 Spanish side. Courtois only turned 21 literally 2 weeks ago so for a 20 year old to achieve so much at such a young age is pretty good.

Edited by Erik

You aren't seriously comparing the Czech/French league to the Primera Liga surely? I'm not saying that Cech isn't a better goalkeeper, he is. I'm just saying at 21 years of age Courtois has more potential. 6 million pound for a 19 year old goalkeeper is a big investment. So much so that now we have Barcelona chasing him at 21 years of age.

I'm not saying Czech/French League are as good as the Primera Liga, but I don't think playing for underdogs like Sparta (underdogs in UCL) and Rennes (relegation fodder) is easy for a keeper. Like I said, at 19 Cech was one of the best keepers in the Champions League and was breaking records in his domestic league. Arsenal would've bought Cech after his season with Sparta, but couldn't get a work permit. Aren't we glad for that, eh? At Euro 2004 (at 22 years old), he was voted the keeper of the tournament. Not bad, eh?

I'm not trying belittle Courtois, it's just it seems like some people don't seem to remember what a great talent Cech was even before he came to us.

I have no issue with bringing him in as the number one, if that is what the management decide.  When Cech ousted Carlo I thought that it was a ridiculous move, and that  we were going to lose a top notch goalie, for an untested kid.  Turned out Carlo was an absolute gentleman about it, backed Cech up admirably for years (for a former player to still be loved after going to the Spuds speaks volumes).

I've watched about as much of Courtois as I had Cech at that point - so if our new gaffer, and the management decide that is the best for the long term future of Chelsea, then go for it.  From all reports there isn't really a wrong decision here.