BT Sports wins CL Rights

Beerqueen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138

Exclusive rights to all live matches from 2015.  Will show the finals and selected matches free and "at least one match involving each participating British team for free every season"  (so Group game for some eh?).

Don't know how they'll show the free games - will you need some equipment even if not signed up to BT or will it be via freeview or a terrestrial tv station by arrangement?

tbh ITV seem to show Chelsea so rarely and I don't have Sky so won't have much impact on me.

If that means I don't have to look at or listen to Adrian Chiles anymore than I'm all for it

I'm also confused how it will work in practice though for the free matches, I just have basic digital TV where I live and no BT internet. I can get access to the sports channels on the BT website using my parent's login (they don't use it) but usually end up streaming matches via Acetorrent because it's less of a hassle with less buffering and is just as good (or better) quality.

I have been with Plusnet as my internet provider for many years and have never had a problem. Not that I have to contact them very often but their service has always been excellent when I have. At the start of this season I decided to change to BT infinity as they provided the free sports package and their monthly charge was the same. I must have contacted there sales 4/5 times trying to clarify the contract and each time I kept getting told something different. Eventually it was sorted and a date was arranged for a BT engineer to call (not there was any need for him but apparently they have to). Then they phoned a couple of days later to put the engineer back another couple of weeks at which point I had enough of there incompetence and cancelled the whole package.

They are idiots and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I'd rather just stream.

Can't see a topic on it so thought I'd start one.*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138

Quite a large sum of money... the 'free to air' part is interesting although not sure how that works - do they just let their channel be accessible foe everyone? What about those with just the standard 5 channels though and not even free view? Admittedly I read that on the Mail website and not the BBC but thought I'd share a standard link to the story.

The main question is however - how will it affect people with Virgin Media? They have access to Sky Sports but not BT Sport... I think. Plus their internet/phone is also with Virgin!! Completely hypothetical of course...

Thoughts?

EDIT: *Clearly there was...! 

I wondered whether this would be discussed so thanks for posting. It sounds like the free to air games will be the exception and most games will have to be pay-to-see. For the free to air games BT would just need to turn off the encryption and people with a satellite dish or freeview could watch. BT say they'll offer more affordable packages than are available at present but they'll need to get tons of subscribers to earn back or make a profit on thier 900 million investment.

It was interesting to hear on the radio that Sky felt that the BT offer 'overvalued' the CL and Uefa competitions. I.e. they either don't think they could match the offer and still make money or they could not match the offer.

What now for ITV? We are in danger of terrestrial TV being a football-free platform.

em -I already put this is the Chelsea - I almost put it here but then thought it was relevant to Chelsea as well as other teams!

So you did! Apologises, now I'll have to try out my merging skills, hopefully I don't delete anything!

Michael Owen on co-comms, Mark Halsey on 'ref watch' and expert analysis from David James and Steve Mcmanaman?

No f**king thank you. 

No more Chiles, Townsend, Tyldsley & Beglin is great, but BT Sport is almost as bad. 

Awful news. How could you let this happen, Sky?!

Some people think it's refreshing but not me!! Not if it means forking out more money or changing providers. Will Sky take away some of its channels from BT like when they took Sky One away from Virgin customers for a while? Sky One is much needed as I have to have my 3 or 4 Simpsons episodes a day.

Starting to think I'll get a basic package & just stream football more - hardly seems worth it.

Archived