The Great Eddie Mac

Tim W

Great stuff - thanks for posting. Some VERY interesting stuff:

Among the messages he wishes to put across is that the particular detail about a car is not accurate. “Everyone has that wrong,†he says. “It was nothing to do with a car. I am not going into details. I left because I resigned. It is assumed that I was not happy at the time, and no, I was not happy at the time. It was a disagreement between myself and the directors at the club, but these things happen. Am I mad at anyone? Of course not, but it was a decision I felt I had to make. I felt like my work was done. That was the most important thing to me in my life at that time.â€

The way some of Scotland  caps were awarded back in the 1960s and 1970s seems strange looking back.

Charlie Cooke only got 16 Scotland caps over a period of 10 seasons !

John McGovern of Derby and Forest won None ! Yet he captained Forest to a League title, 2 European Cups and 2 League Cups in 3 seasons !!

Really surprised he only got 23 caps.

Unfortunately Eddie McCreadie had some stiff competition for a regular place in the Scotland side, namely Tommy Gemmell and Danny McGrain. As erskblue says, Charlie Cooke didn't get anywhere near the number of caps he deserved - but it's not so surprising when you remember he was in competition with Jimmy Johnstone and Willie Henderson. Scotland had some superb players back then!

Unfortunately Eddie McCreadie had some stiff competition for a regular place in the Scotland side, namely Tommy Gemmell and Danny McGrain. As erskblue says, Charlie Cooke didn't get anywhere near the number of caps he deserved - but it's not so surprising when you remember he was in competition with Jimmy Johnstone and Willie Henderson. Scotland had some superb players back then!

Those were the days, my friend!!

Scotland produced some great players in the 70's. Strong team which probably should have achieved more. As Moi says, those were the days.

Do you think there may have been a bit of a bias towards players playing in England?

An excellent article about a Chelsea legend. Surprised he didn't play more times for Scotland. He did, though, play for Scotland against England in 1967. Scotland won 3-2. Some team for Scotland that day. England  team was almost the same as the one that had won the World Cup the year before except Greaves in for Hunt.

Scotland
1. Simpson (Celtic)
2. Gemmell (Celtic)
3. McCreadie (Chelsea)
4. Greig (Rangers)
5. McKinnon (Rangers)
6. Baxter (Sunderland)
7. Wallace (Celtic)
8. Bremner (Leeds)
9. McCalliog (Sheffield Wed)
10. Law (Manchester Utd)
11. Lennox (Celtic)

Charlie Cooke came and met the Melbourne CFC fans recently and was asked about his ridiculously small number of caps.  Said the SFA was Old Firm dominated.  Also he had a black mark against him from a drinking incident which was low level at the time considering what some players of the day were up to. 

Archived