Alexis Sanchez

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Why aren't we being linked with this guy?! I believe we are in desperate need of width, our first choice wingers aren't even natural wide men. I agree that our first priority should be a striker and then a central midfielder, but we need to strike when an opportunity like this arises, both Liverpool and Juventus have already enquired about him. The guy has scored 19 goals in the Primera this season and has 10 assists. I miss the old Mourinho-days when our fast paced counter attacking play was focused down the flanks with Duff and Robben who brought explosive speed and also loads of flair.

DREAM XI 2014/15:

Courtois

Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Shaw

Vidal-Matic

Sanchez-Willian-Hazard

Diego Costa

Quality player can't understand why they are entertaining selling him. We won't be buying him though, he is virtually a striker in their system and doesn't track back at all, such seems the key attribute in wingers for Jose.

Good point, would take some of the pressure of Hazard though... the guy can't do everything himself. Seems like it was easier for Jose to forgive laziness from his wingers with the 4-3-3 back in the day, just a shame there are very few box-to-box-type players left in football, which unfortunately means this kind of approach would be mostly useless today.

Ah I don't know that he ever forgave laziness, it was a bit easier to tolerate as the lightning counter was always his MO here first time around. I think his approach has hardened a little since then particularly in big games where Barca and Bayern have changed the game to be more possession orientated and it requires total commitment from everyone to close the space.

I think Sanchez would be a phenomenal signing, he'd add goals and a real threat to balance Hazard, although I do think he tends to just take the ball a tad too far himself, rather than using a teammate. We'd need to balance that with a very solid back 4 (ie no overlapping fullbacks) and crucially I would think another defensive minded midfielder next to Matic to cover the space. 

Edited by Spiller86

Ah I don't know that he ever forgave laziness, it was a bit easier to tolerate as the lightning counter was always his MO here first time around. I think his approach has hardened a little since then particularly in big games where Barca and Bayern have changed the game to be more possession orientated and it requires total commitment from everyone to close the space.

I think Sanchez would be a phenomenal signing, he'd add goals and a real threat to balance Hazard, although I do think he tends to just take the ball a tad too far himself, rather than using a teammate. We'd need to balance that with a very solid back 4 (ie no overlapping fullbacks) and crucially I would think another defensive minded midfielder next to Matic to cover the space.

Without over lapping full backs, I think he would encounter the same struggles that our wingers have had this season, in that it is very easy for teams to double up on.

I think having full backs that time their overlaps well, like zabaleta for example, is the key to us becoming a successful possession team.

@big blue: You're right, we are currently short of effective attacking fullbacks, but I can't imagine Jose ever dropping Bane and may even continue playing Dave at left back next season. What would you like to see us do this summer, how can we add width and unpredictability to our game without sacrificing stability at the back? Do you believe our forwards will become more effective as a result? Is it even realistic considering how our manager likes to approach games? So frustrating to lose out on the title just because we can't score against weaker sides, I'm not sure if signing a decent striker is enough.

Edited by gaamst

@big blue: You're right, we are currently short of effective attacking fullbacks, but I can't imagine Jose ever dropping Bane and may even continue playing Dave at left back next season. What would you like to see us do this summer, how can we add width and unpredictability to our game without sacrificing stability at the back? Do you believe our forwards will become more effective as a result? Is it even realistic considering how our manager likes to approach games? So frustrating to lose out on the title just because we can't score against weaker sides, I'm not sure if signing a decent striker is enough.

At Real Madrid, he frequently played Marcelo, coentrao, and arbeloa at full back. I think Mourinho would play a quality attacking left back if he had one.

I'd definitely bring in a left back preferably shaw, a top draw midfielder pogba/kroos/vidal/fabregas to play next to matic, and a top draw centre forward, not sold on costa but he looks like the most likely.

I think we would have better tempo to our game with one of those midfielders, we move the ball too slowly at times.

With some attacking threat from the full backs, it give the attacking midfielders more space to work in, especially if we work the ball quicker.

Hopefully this would lead to us getting to the byline more often and creating more clear cut chances, for someone like costa to stick in the net.

It is natural for us to become a little more open when we commit more players forward, however the work ethic Mourinho has already instilled in the squad , would surely see us killing teams off very quickly.

I also think the attack will look beter next season, as the likes of Salah, schurrle, and willian, will have settled more, Oscar has no world cup distractions, and hazard is getting better and better.

Exciting times though definitely.

• 1 month later...