Mrs Brown's Boys

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

My friend Damien told me about this series, which is on BBC One.  I watched a few episodes, and I was in stitches, especially when she talks about her grandson going to the school she went to as a child ("He's going to feckin' Alcatraz!"). Does anyone else watch it?

It has it's moments.

I'm not a massive fan but have watched a few episodes as my in-laws think it's the best thing ever (as do a few of my colleagues at work). I think it appeals to a certain age but it's clearly popular with many and the film is about to be released (which I won't be going to watch at the cinema!).

Can't say I've ever watched a full episode but the bits and pieces I have seen... I just don't get it. Not really sure why people find it funny.

But then again everyone raved about Gavin & Stacey and I thought that was sh*t too, so maybe says a lot about my comedy tastes. 

The other old one I found cringeworthy was Are You Being Served - every stereotype in the book - the camp gay, the randy old man, the buxom blonde, the gross old woman ranting on about her pussy!    

:pUKe:  :pUKe:

People actually watch and enjoy this? Dear god.

Weird, isn't it, Officer Dibble?  

I'd like to know what our Irish contingent think of it.

Edited by moi

People actually watch and enjoy this? Dear god.

I am never surprised by folks taste in TV and comedy. How else would you explain Last of The Summer Wine running for 50 f**king years.

It is a proper Marmite program isn’t it ... I started a thread a couple of years back I think, when it was first out saying I was enjoying it and got a “you bit backward andy†(that’s a lie but how I read it) type responses

To be honest I got bored after to the first series but there were certain moments I was laughing hysterically and I just don’t do this at any sitcoms ever, even if I find them funny. I rarely lol but I was really lol’ing if you like. It is multi award winning and now making a movie so doing something right.

I know people who are fanatical about it, intelligent normal people. So I suppose it is horses for courses

I do find it a bit cringe worthy now, another thing that put me off it is I saw a chat show with him (Mrs Brown) on and they are all the same bloody family in real life or something... weird

It appeals to me because I understand the character in some ways.  For example, when it comes to games, I insist the rules be followed, or there will be a problem (see the 2013 Christmas special,but I just say the game is over if there is any cheating, and refuse to play with said person again), or the frustration in decorating a Christmas tree (I usually have to remove cats and keep them from chewing on the lights).  But some of the stuff seems so preposterous it's funny (I live in Chicago, and there are some doozies of schools where I live, but they can't be as bad as she made St. Stephen's out to be).

The other old one I found cringeworthy was Are You Being Served - every stereotype in the book - the camp gay, the randy old man, the buxom blonde, the gross old woman ranting on about her pussy!    

:pUKe:  :pUKe:

That's what made it funny! Double entendres were part of the humor, as was the ridiculous premise (men's ready-made and ladies' lingerie sharing the same floor of a department store?  In what universe would that ever happen?)  Besides, Mr Humphries wasn't gay, he was a mummy's boy.

That's what made it funny! Double entendres were part of the humor, as was the ridiculous premise (men's ready-made and ladies' lingerie sharing the same floor of a department store?  In what universe would that ever happen?)  Besides, Mr Humphries wasn't gay, he was a mummy's boy.

If you say so...

I am never surprised by folks taste in TV and comedy. How else would you explain Last of The Summer Wine running for 50 f**king years.

Ha ha, very good point. And Miranda getting a second series.

Yeah, your "mrs" loves it.....not you eh...definitely not you...

;)

Okay, you got me - I admit I have found one or two moments of Miranda quite funny.

It actually feels good to have "come out".

Your Turn!!

Well its f*cking massive over here in Ireland and I happen to know the guy who plays Ms. Brown!! He's a really funny guy and I feel that they shouldn't have made a movie. Everybody watches it over here and nobody dislikes it funny enough!!! I don't really watch it but it has its moments!!

I've never seen the attraction at all but member's of my family love it.

As for Miranda, I watched 15 mins once when waiting for another show to start and it's the worst thing I've ever seen. What a load of tripe! As funny as a whoopee cushion.

Well its f*cking massive over here in Ireland and I happen to know the guy who plays Ms. Brown!! He's a really funny guy and I feel that they shouldn't have made a movie. Everybody watches it over here and nobody dislikes it funny enough!!! I don't really watch it but it has its moments!!

Not everyone watches it. I don't know many that do