Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94

I believe we played the same style under Jose against lesser teams. Willian, hazard and pedro were all instructed to press high and win the ball. We changed our mentality only against big teams.

Difference is they wasnt coached to do so. We would press on Opposition GKs but in general play its a team effort. You cannot have 3 midfielders pressing without the team following. So in essence we half heartedly pressed.

Conte seems like he wants to nail down this approach so that tactically its second nature.

Difference is they wasnt coached to do so. We would press on Opposition GKs but in general play its a team effort. You cannot have 3 midfielders pressing without the team following. So in essence we half heartedly pressed.

Conte seems like he wants to nail down this approach so that tactically its second nature.

I don't buy that. Jose would not approve half hearted pressing. If he has one good trait, that is he is meticulous to a fault, similar to Conte. Matic was also asked to be aggressive in his pressing and the defenders were playing a medium block.

Jose was very defensive against big teams, something that irritated me, but we pressed well especially in the first half last season. Then when everyone tired, we went back to picking counters.

Edited by JoseBlues

I don't buy that. Jose would not approve half hearted pressing. If he has one good trait, that is he is meticulous to a fault, similar to Conte. Matic was also asked to be aggressive in his pressing and the defenders were playing a medium block.

Jose was very defensive against big teams, something that irritated me, but we pressed well especially in the first half last season. Then when everyone tired, we went back to picking counters.

Agree we done it pretty well for half a season. This method takes alot of time to nail down completely , as it requires every man to be switched on. One player switches off, it breaks the whole press. Hopefully Conte doesnt ditch the idea, if we lose 5-3 away to Spurs.

Agree we done it pretty well for half a season. This method takes alot of time to nail down completely , as it requires every man to be switched on. One player switches off, it breaks the whole press. Hopefully Conte doesnt ditch the idea, if we lose 5-3 away to Spurs.

Well i am glad we did. It won us the league. You need to be pragmatic. Also it was partly Jose's fault that he ran them into the ground. Don't think our squad would have sustained their run if we had continued after the 5_3. Our squad was clearly tired.

Hernan Crespo: "I’m very happy for Antonio Conte. I hope he does the same as Carlo Ancelotti, who won the double with#Chelsea." [TS]

Crespo: "#Chelsea is still in my heart. I’m trying to work my way - because I’m a manager now - and my dream is to work with#Chelsea.“ [TS]

Hernan Crespo: "One day I want to manage #Chelsea. I’ve started to build my career to come there.“ [TS]

You know its bad when a manager gets sacked by modena but thinks hes in with a chance of becoming our next manager even though our new manager has yet to even start yet Lol

Ten years ago, Conte was sacked by Arezzo in Serie B due to a series of poor results (all be it reinstated later on).

Whos to know where Crespo will be in his manager path ten years from now, I'm sure he knows he's got a long way to go, but nothing wrong with an end goal.

Well i am glad we did. It won us the league. You need to be pragmatic. Also it was partly Jose's fault that he ran them into the ground. Don't think our squad would have sustained their run if we had continued after the 5_3. Our squad was clearly tired.

Being Pragmatic short term doesnt help us long term.

If we are to build towards playing this type of football consistently then we might have to sacrifice short term results. 

I dont buy that we was tired halfway through the season either. They are professional footballers, and we have a bigger squad than most. Jose just reverted to type, and to took the easy route. He NEVER thinks long term.

You know its bad when a manager gets sacked by modena but thinks hes in with a chance of becoming our next manager even though our new manager has yet to even start yet Lol 

he's still learning. I believe he's only recently started his managerial career. only 40 years old so still young in the game too. 

anyway here was the interview (audio) on talksport. I wouldn't mind him learning alongside conte tbh, or maybe even ancelotti if (or when) he returns to chelsea. 

http://talksport.com/football/my-dream-manage-chelsea-hernan-crespo-tells-talksport-160609199056

Edited by enigma

he's still learning. I believe he's only recently started his managerial career. only 40 years old so still young in the game too.

anyway here was the interview (audio) on talksport. I wouldn't mind him learning alongside conte tbh, or maybe even ancelotti if (or when) he returns to chelsea.

http://talksport.com/football/my-dream-manage-chelsea-hernan-crespo-tells-talksport-160609199056

Lets hope Carlo never has to return

Why because of what happened to Jose...?

No because his tactics (in the second season) and selections were dreadful and predictable, even Kenny Dalglish managed to outsmart him. We somehow found our way back in the title race only to hand United the easiest title decider in PL history, not to mention how we folded without a fight in the CL vs them. The double was a great season and he had us playing great attacking football, but the second season all his flaws came to the fore on spectacular style.

However complacency is a massive problem in Ancelottis teams, his league record considering who he has managed is dreadful, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he even blows the title at Bayern (he did at PSG).

He's a great part of our history for the double season but he (in my opinion) is the most overrated manager in the modern era.

Edited by Argo

No because his tactics (in the second season) and selections were dreadful and predictable, even Kenny Dalglish managed to outsmart him. We somehow found our way back in the title race only to hand United the easiest title decider in PL history, not to mention how we folded without a fight in the CL vs them. The double was a great season and he had us playing great attacking football, but the second season all his flaws came to the fore on spectacular style.

However complacency is a massive problem in Ancelottis teams, his league record considering who he has managed is dreadful, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he even blows the title at Bayern (he did at PSG).

He's a great part of our history for the double season but he (in my opinion) is the most overrated manager in the modern era.

That's unfair, he lost alot of players after his first season here. Considering the team he had I think second was a good achievement.

That's unfair, he lost alot of players after his first season here. Considering the team he had I think second was a good achievement.

That can be used as an excuse if he was a bit pragmatic and got the beat he could out of the side, Jose had a weak squad in the first season but uses his pragmatism to get the best he possibly could out of the team.

Carlo's idea of pragmatism was starting Anelka and Kalou and swapping one with the other after an hour.

Being Pragmatic short term doesnt help us long term.

If we are to build towards playing this type of football consistently then we might have to sacrifice short term results.

I dont buy that we was tired halfway through the season either. They are professional footballers, and we have a bigger squad than most. Jose just reverted to type, and to took the easy route. He NEVER thinks long term.

So you would rather have lost the title to continue playing like we did? Jose could have used his squad much better but at that stage, he did what he could to win. Another factor was our complete lack of title challenge for 5 years. You can't really keep thinking long term without winning anything. Then you become Arsenal. Jose wanted us to be winners first and then think long term. For a lot of our players, winning the league was their last milestone unfortunately.

So you would rather have lost the title to continue playing like we did? Jose could have used his squad much better but at that stage, he did what he could to win. Another factor was our complete lack of title challenge for 5 years. You can't really keep thinking long term without winning anything. Then you become Arsenal. Jose wanted us to be winners first and then think long term. For a lot of our players, winning the league was their last milestone unfortunately.

Jose never thought long term for once. It was always short term.

This is why it is necessary to buy atleast 2-3 first team players every year. Even when you have won the title. Great teams are never settled, they are always in a state of flux.

Ferguson did this so well for years at United, and lately Barcelona have done this so well. Sad truth is we didnt back Jose enough in the market.

Edited by Orpington_Blue

Jose never thought long term for once. It was always short term.

Ok. You convinced me. He also was made to think short term at times because of so much pressure to win. I genuinely felt he was thinking long term this season with the extended holiday breaks, etc. All went pear shaped at the end.

This is why it is necessary to buy atleast 2-3 first team players every year. Even when you have won the title. Great teams are never settled, they are always in a state of flux.

Ferguson did this so well for years at United, and lately Barcelona have done this so well. Sad truth is we didnt back Jose enough in the market.

Exactly. The players rested on their laurels because they knew they had nothing to fear. They could just get the manager sacked if they wanted to.

Ok. You convinced me. He also was made to think short term at times because of so much pressure to win. I genuinely felt he was thinking long term this season with the extended holiday breaks, etc. All went pear shaped at the end.

Matter of Jose being a short term manager has been discussed to a point of death, hardly a need for convincing. Extended holidays and short preseason meant long-term thinking?. Color me convinced.

Whos to say we would of lost the title playing the same way? Just because we lost one game?

And Jose's short term approach to winning the league cost us the following year. Players stopped buying into his methods and now we are back to square 1. In answer to your question YES i would have sacrificed the league that season, for us to have had a much better season than we just had and for us to be now established with a brand and identity of football that has been the work of the last 3 or 4 years.

• coco unpinned this topic