Who was the first Chelsea player or players 'you were ' in the school playground as a kid ?

erskblue

Hutchinson when I played wing-half, and was desperate to do the long throw-in, but never really got it very far, and then sometimes played right back and was Chopper, even though I was always a skinny little f**k.  Nuff said, really.

For a brief time I'd be Peter Osgood down the park, but only if my older brother wasn't playing, because he'd claim the Ossie tag himself.

This stopped when I was 8 or so when he got sold to Southampton. It's funny how things change so quickly with kids, cause shortly after that the schoolground song became " Osgood woz good now he's no good."

After that no-one until Butch Wilkins started really making a name for himself in 76. Around that time he started going out with my cousin Jaqui- I used to fantasise about them popping round and having a kick a bout with him in the back garden

Up to  about the age of 12 it was Peter Borota when in goal, or Wilkins, Fillery or walker, secondary school came and coincided with Jonny Neal and that team, so basically take your pick, Eddie, wee pat, Speedo or King Kerry. (I said the other day, a week can't pass without one of us mentioning that team on here)

10 minutes ago, erskblue said:

I was in fifth year at secondary school in 1983/84. There mentioned that season/great team again!

Despite our goalkeeper jersey being a yellow one. It was Eddie when I was in goal! My outfield appearances were finished by this time!!

I was fourth year that season and although the school keeper, when the good weather appeared and we were allowed on the school field at lunchtime I  always thought I was a bit of a Kerry Dixon, I think it was mainly to impress the girls while they sat having there lunch and reading smash hits or Jackie magazine.

Had no real interest in professional football apart from watching the FA Cup final and World Cup, first player I recall bizarrely was Mario Kempes. 

Played at school though did not follow a team yet after injuries and getting persistent headaches and shin splints started to notice a team called Chelsea regularly in the Sports headlines of the Daily mail my mum used to buy.

It was the team with Speedy, Nevin and Dixon and the reports always seemed exciting. A little later chaps at my first job suggested Chelsea after saying I was bored at the weekend. The rest is history.

On ?12?/?01?/?2018 at 14:17, chi blue said:

I was fourth year that season and although the school keeper, when the good weather appeared and we were allowed on the school field at lunchtime I  always thought I was a bit of a Kerry Dixon, I think it was mainly to impress the girls while they sat having there lunch and reading smash hits or Jackie magazine.

Yeah I also used to stand and shout encouragement at the defenders. Yeah remember the girls at my secondary school reading these magazines too!

Remember that there were a few of my mates at primary school had the first England admiral strip in 1976ish. There were a few of the Scotland Umbro strip as well!!

It must have looked quite odd in a West of Scotland town primary school back then!

On 1/12/2018 at 18:23, Strider6003 said:

Had no real interest in professional football apart from watching the FA Cup final and World Cup, first player I recall bizarrely was Mario Kempes. 

Played at school though did not follow a team yet after injuries and getting persistent headaches and shin splints started to notice a team called Chelsea regularly in the Sports headlines of the Daily mail my mum used to buy.

It was the team with Speedy, Nevin and Dixon and the reports always seemed exciting. A little later chaps at my first job suggested Chelsea after saying I was bored at the weekend. The rest is history.

Luckily you listened to us :-)

I stopped them like Ed Goey.(Actually, probably more like Dave Beasant.)

Passed the ball like Leboeuf.(Sometimes like Andy Townsend.)

Crossed the ball like Dan Petrescu, Bjorne Goldbaek and Scott Minto.

Hit long shots like Robbie D.(Probably more like Eddie Newton on occasion.)

Dribbled like Flo(In my head Zola always.)

Tackled like Wisey.

Finished like Vialli with my feet, and Sparky with my head.(We can all dream of that combo.)

Edited by Famous CFC

21 hours ago, coco said:

When i was a kid in the play ground, everyone wanted to be Kevin Keegan, even Man utd kids.

We played Newcastle at home in 91, shortly after Keegan got bashed up and robbed late night in a lay bye on Reigate Hill- it was all a bit risqué- anyway one of the CFC fanzines had a cartoon of some brute with a bat looking at a bruised Keegan with his curly perm " Sorry Kev, I didn't know it was you" was the caption.

was 

On ?19?/?01?/?2018 at 19:36, coco said:

When i was a kid in the play ground, everyone wanted to be Kevin Keegan, even Man utd kids.

Did you have a pair of Patrick boots or trainers? I seem to remember that they were worn by Keegan and suddenly these began to appear at school.

Makelele, leboeuf & desailly. Remember the first match I went to was rained off but I got to see Zola come out to applaud the crowd, was worth the 2 hour each way trip just for that. Was too in awe of Gianfranco to ever try and emulate him on the pitch, plus I was never much good going forward anyway!

Edited by Lexar