The reality of it all; has it sunk in?

I've been meaning to write a little article on this for a while now; the realities of the season just gone. The emotions of it all. The ups, the downs and everything in between. I guess we've been here before haven't we really? Casting back to Munich in 2012 when as a wee nipper I'd stormed out of my friends bedroom in tears when Drogba tucked that final penno away; or the opposite in 2008 when I ran and ran and ran late at night around my street just to escape the hurt of JT slipping. To see, at the time, Fergie and his boys lift that trophy was a one-way ticket to abuse from the boys in school and at football for months on end.

This year has been mental for us, the fans. From an amazing summer of transfers that filled the air with optimism; to a realistic title charge that just died when the weather got worse. Losing a club legend like Frank hurt, a lot. As someone that coaches football, however, I used to get angry at the idea that someone could get a job like this based purely off his playing reputation; you have to earn the right to be the best. Frank earned it as a player; he got given it as a manager. I loved him though- you put those feelings to one side and you give him every ounce of support you can. Unlike some who thought that the meaning of being a 'fan' was to cuss and call for his head. 

In came Tuchel and his boys; that funny looking German bloke that would look more at ease replacing Basil Fawlty than Frankie Lampard. What a job he has done though; what a job. He's created a dream again at Chelsea. Not just for me, you, the fans, but for the players. He's given a platform to our immensely talented group- he's told them 'Listen to me, breathe it in, but be yourselves'. What did they do? They only went and won the bloody UCL.

Are we back? I hope so. For too long we've seen the obsession with Pep Guardiola; the rise (and fall again, brilliant) of Liverpool. A domination in the media while Chelsea have quietly gone about their thing and now sit top of the tree as European, yes EUROPEAN, champions. To think someone called Robbie Savage recently said that Pep Guardiola was the best manager of all time; tell him to put his European medals on the table since his Barcelona days and I'd think otherwise. 

Let's enjoy it.

PS. Erling, do the right thing.

Good sum up.

I think the season was a weird one and although champions of Europe, I’m still not exactly sure where we stand in level of consistency. We pissed away some games and still looked up and down throughout that last stint.

We were at a top level in 2012 in comparison that I think could easily beat the current team, if going up against. Not taking anything away from this years win, but I just think we wanted it badly and played like we did. I don’t think our general form was really that good, we just up’d it in some games.

Going forward, I think we need to find more consistency and a striker or two to rely on.

I think the crucial thing to remember here is this is just the beginning. The notion that kept getting repeated when things went sour for Frank was he had no experience to fall back on, no way to show that he could turn things around.

Now it could be another false dawn but unlike when Robbie delivered big ears I feel this time Tuchel has endeared himself to Roman and the fans so much to the point where he should get time no matter what. Finally it looks like we'll truly attempt this long term project business and stick with it, via keep the manager, the youngsters and keep the skeleton of the squad.

For once after a big win not only are we looking to strengthen but, we are looking at elite targets. If we manage to sell the deadwood and raise around £80-100m I'm confident we will sign 1-2 of our primary targets maybe even 3. 

Roman Abramovich has always sought tiki taka 'Barcelona-esque' football, whilst also being obsessed with the latest managerial genius. This time he has all of that in one man we would be insane to let him go. Tuchel succeeded because he demonstrated what Chelsea DNA is, not just the ability to win not just the mentality but, he did it with our style the 'Chelsea' way. 

You look at Tuchel's Chelsea and you can see a bit of Mourinho, Conte and Sarri styles all blended in one. All coaches that have attempted to imprint their football philosophy onto the squad and won major honours. 

1 hour ago, Mod Stark said:

Good sum up.

I think the season was a weird one and although champions of Europe, I’m still not exactly sure where we stand in level of consistency. We pissed away some games and still looked up and down throughout that last stint.

We were at a top level in 2012 in comparison that I think could easily beat the current team, if going up against. Not taking anything away from this years win, but I just think we wanted it badly and played like we did. I don’t think our general form was really that good, we just up’d it in some games.

Going forward, I think we need to find more consistency and a striker or two to rely on.

Funny you see it that way, because for me it's the other way round. Yes, we were inconsistent in the final stages of the season regarding our league form, but we've generally had the upper hand in big games since TT came around, and were the better team against Atletico, Real and City en route to claiming a thouroghly deserved CL title. I feel like we have a very good foundation to build upon. If we manage to sign Haaland and Hakimi I think we could challenge for the PL title.

In 2012 on the other hand, we had an old team on their last legs. We were even more inconsistent in the league than this year (we were 6th if my memory serves me right) and didn't look too good in the final stages of the CL (especially against Barca and Bayern). It felt like we managed to win it through the sheer force of will of our big players (Lamps, Terry, Cole and mostly Drogba and Cech), who saw it as their last chance to win a CL title and fought their hearts out and rose to the occasion in the biggest moments. And of course we had a huge slice of luck as well, no point in denying it.

Edited by True Blue23

Although I wasn't expecting to win the UCL it didn't remotely surprise me.

I have a lot of belief in this squad going forward and was well aware about how good Tuchel is when we got him.

It has sunk in fully know and it feels so damn good. I always knew that on paper, this squad was good enough to challenge for a title whether that be the Prem or Europe and we did it. Tuchel came, put the excuses to bed and got on with it. 

I think we can win it again next seaaon but obviously need a striker. In it to win it.

As for Pep, people will slander him but he still is for me the GOAT and he is a classy gentleman. Just glad that Tuchel has his number.

• 1 month later...

Approaching a new season it's starting to sink in, but it's still surreal at times.

The one thing I'm optimistic about is we can get better as a team. I think we haven't hit our prime with this squad yet so sky's the limit.

It took a long long time for Munich to sink in.  After that win I told myself I've seen my club win it all and they get a pass for a long time.  Well, that didn't last quite as long as I hoped, but still.

This time sunk in quicker as its what we need to do, more consistently.  What it did most for me was cement the start of a new era/chapter.  I read this theme elsewhere, but completely agree (post Roman):

• New beginnings - constant success with a core team built on winning.  Started when Jose arrived, ended in Munich
  • Transition years - two more PL titles, but plagued by inconsistency and some signings that simply did not work out.  Two Europa leagues, and best remembered as the Hazard era for me
  • Back to elite - the foundation of a new Chelsea was built somewhat under Frank.  TT has changed that, and to me, the CL win against City was the dawn of a new era.  I look forward from this to a team that continues to win (and start winning ruthlessly)
Edited by PhilH930

On 08/08/2021 at 04:46, PhilH930 said:

It took a long long time for Munich to sink in.  After that win I told myself I've seen my club win it all and they get a pass for a long time.  Well, that didn't last quite as long as I hoped, but still.

This time sunk in quicker as its what we need to do, more consistently.  What it did most for me was cement the start of a new era/chapter.  I read this theme elsewhere, but completely agree (post Roman):

• New beginnings - constant success with a core team built on winning.  Started when Jose arrived, ended in Munich
  • Transition years - two more PL titles, but plagued by inconsistency and some signings that simply did not work out.  Two Europa leagues, and best remembered as the Hazard era for me
  • Back to elite - the foundation of a new Chelsea was built somewhat under Frank.  TT has changed that, and to me, the CL win against City was the dawn of a new era.  I look forward from this to a team that continues to win (and start winning ruthlessly)

Agree. That's how I see the Abramovich era as well.

Old Guard (2003-2012) = 1 CL, 3 PL, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups

• Ranieri
  • Mourinho
  • Grant
  • Scolari
  • Hiddink
  • Ancelotti
  • Villas Boas
  • Di Matteo

Hazard Era (2012-2019) = 2 PL, 2 EL, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup

• Di Matteo
  • Benitez
  • Mourinho (2)
  • Hiddink (2)
  • Conte
  • Sarri

New Era (2019-Present) = Champions League winners. Started with the transfer embargo and the departure of Hazard.

• Lampard
  • Tuchel