Well Done Villa

Gem

After Gareth Barry mouthed off to the Press about Martin O'Neil, Aston Villa have taken some action:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3766623,00.html

Aston Villa have disciplined Gareth Barry after the captain criticised manager Martin O'Neill in a weekend interview.

Barry wants to quit Villa in order to join Liverpool, who have seen bids rejected by their Premier League rivals.

On Sunday, the midfielder again expressed his wish to move on this summer and accused O'Neill of not taking the time to discuss the situation.

O'Neill has subsequently admitted that he is prepared to sanction Barry's departure providing Liverpool meet Villa's asking price.

Reports have claimed that the Reds have made a final £15million offer, plus add-ons, in a bid to tempt Villa into a sale.

Villa boss O'Neill has denied receiving a fresh bid from Liverpool and has also confirmed Barry will be punished as a result of his outburst.

"There's no truth in this morning's reports and the situation remains the same," O'Neill told the club's official website.

"Gareth will not be returning to training tomorrow and he has been disciplined after giving an unauthorised interview to the News of the World."

----

HA! He's not even returning to pre-season training. Totally professional.

Turning into a horrid Scouser already.

I think Barry is begining to think he's a superstar because of the price involved. I hope Villa hold out for the 20 million.

If liverpool want to spend 20 million on a squad player that smacks of desperation to me, mind you, whilst typing here the initials S.W.P. keep leaping ino my mind.

I think Barry is begining to think he's a superstar because of the price involved. I hope Villa hold out for the 20 million.

If liverpool want to spend 20 million on a squad player that smacks of desperation to me, mind you, whilst typing here the initials S.W.P. keep leaping ino my mind.

Problem is MB we both know he is not going to be a squad player. I believe Barry is going to make a hell of alot of difference to the Liverpool midfield. He is a very versatile and consistent performer.

I hope I'm wrong, but if he stays fit I reckon he will improve them hugely. And that is not good news for us.

I've come back to edit this following TWW's post below. Just to say I'd have Barry over Alonso any day of the week.

Its good to see Villa are sticking to their guns on this one. And I cant believe a guy that has been with a club for a decade or more is being so disrespectful to a great manager such as O'Neill and the shirt he has worn for so long. Barry needs to have a word with himself, because the way he is carrying on is laughable.

What's even more laughable, though, is how Benitez thinks splashing 20 million on a mid-table talisman is going to take them over the top. Call me crazy, but Xabi Alonso is a great player, and is definitely better than Gareth Barry. And yet Liverpool are about to throw away five million pounds to get weaker in midfield. How are they going to fit him in?

Mascherano----Barry

-------Gerrard--------

Unless St. Steven goes out wide again. And if tehy do keep him centrally, then its back to playing Kuyt and Babel out wide, and they already know that doesnt work. Is Hicks gonna find another 20 million for them to upgrade out there too?

It seems even that Mouser fans are infuriated with this move, seeing that Torres and Babel are just about the only winger and forward they have that are worth a damn.

But if their defensive signings are any indication, they seem much more at ease splashing modest to inflated fees on below par players in teh hopes that one of them hits it big. Its amazing how Rafa gets a free pass, because by all indications he is a terrible judge of talent being that all his successful signings (Sissoko, Alonso, Torres) were not exactly unknown quality, and yet 2 of the 3 have been shipped out a few seasons later for modest upgrades.

I wonder how long till Torres realizes that he is wasting his time and talent

all ill say is would the dippers have been happy to see him sign 18 months ago? i doubt it. hes suddenly flavour of the month. theres some kind of myth about him and gerrard playing well together. show me when. other than playing against poor teams. the 2 times they played alongside each other in games that mattered, russia and croatia, they failed magnificently. in fact gerrard almost completely dissapeared in both games. liverpool fans will have you believe lampard restricts gerrard, when the truth is playing alongside gerrard restricts any midfielder. he has no tactical skills, no positional discipline and no team awareness. its proven by his own manager wanting to shift him onto the wing. plus alonso is 10 times the player barry is. if they move alonso on, sign barry and it costs them money then it just shows how pathetic the fat spanish waiter is with transfers.

I think it is a hoot - Liverpool are prepared to blow £15m on Gareth Barry! If we paid £6m for him I would be gutted!! I hope Villa stick t their guns and demand £18m and I hope Liverpool pay it. It would be nice if we weren't the club accused of paying well over the odds for once.

Or as some Scouse git said, commenting on the Deco signing:

not too bothered, but 8 million is a steel, and we`re goign to end up paying 18 million for Barry, f**king hell

Now that's a memorable!

plus alonso is 10 times the player barry is. if they move alonso on, sign barry and it costs them money then it just shows how pathetic the fat spanish waiter is with transfers.

That's the most ludicrous part of all. They're going to shunt out Alonso to make way for Barry. I know which player I'd rather have given the choice. Hopefully, upon seeing this demonstration of Liverpool's ambition, Torres will decide it's time to leave!

all ill say is would the dippers have been happy to see him sign 18 months ago? i doubt it. hes suddenly flavour of the month. theres some kind of myth about him and gerrard playing well together. show me when. other than playing against poor teams. the 2 times they played alongside each other in games that mattered, russia and croatia, they failed magnificently. in fact gerrard almost completely dissapeared in both games. liverpool fans will have you believe lampard restricts gerrard, when the truth is playing alongside gerrard restricts any midfielder. he has no tactical skills, no positional discipline and no team awareness. its proven by his own manager wanting to shift him onto the wing. plus alonso is 10 times the player barry is. if they move alonso on, sign barry and it costs them money then it just shows how pathetic the fat spanish waiter is with transfers.

kegboypreachit.jpg

The Mancs, Everton, us, and now Villa... Liverpool becoming everyone's biggest haters. I got on this Villa forum now and again, and it's brilliant to watch them all slag the scouse scum off like we do.

It's a beautiful thing.

£18m for a player who had a decent season and a couple of good games Internationally. Next, they'll be paying £24m for a player of SWP's quality, AHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

By SHAUN CUSTIS

Published: Today

GARETH BARRY was banned from all Aston Villa premises yesterday and fined £100,000 as his battle to join Liverpool turned ugly.

He must stay away from training, Villa Park and even the club shop.

Barry was disciplined for his comments last weekend, in which he slammed boss Martin O’Neill for sitting around being a TV pundit instead of talking to him about his future.

O’Neill was furious and, with Villa’s squad due back for training today, decided to take drastic action.

A letter was delivered to skipper Barry’s house, telling him he was banned indefinitely from training and from all club facilities. He was also fined two weeks’ wages.

After denials were made about SunSport’s revelation there had been a fresh bid for Barry by Liverpool, it was later confirmed the Reds’ offer HAD been improved.

As SunSport detailed, it is now £15million cash and the two sides are haggling over further add-ons.

Barry’s dream move to Anfield is now all but done, as there is no way he could ever be a Villa player again.

Liverpool hope to wrap up the transfer by the end of the week. They will then sort out Xabi Alonso’s £16m sale to Juventus.

Aston Villa fans backed O’Neill.

Peter Warrilow, chairman of the Aston Villa Supporters Trust, said: “Gareth has burned his boats with what he said about Martin O’Neill. He has had his head turned.â€

Barry Banned

Looks like I'm sitting at a table for one with my assessment of Barry then. Well, I guess time will tell who's got it right.

What I would say is, anyone who thinks Barry is a one season wonder, (or a lesser player than Alonso), has not watched alot of him. And they certainly weren't up at Villa Park for our night game a couple of years back when he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

I used to play footie with GB's dad and uncles as they lived across the road from me and if he has any of the family Barry traits then the attacks on him being a self-centred twat are way off the mark. His dad and uncle's were/are top draw people.

His uncle, Kevin Barry was actually on Chelsea's books a good few years ago, don't think he made the first team, he was signed from the Southern League could have been from Maidstone.

Back to Gareth and I wouldn't mind seeing him in blue alongside Essien.

Put me on the party table then because im not the biggest fan of garath barry, dont think he brings anything other than being a solid player who can pass a bit, but nothing more than that. actually makes me feel good about the deco buy!!

another thing though this is a real benitez purchase...

Bellamy

Pennant

Crouch...

He seems to think he can pick thease mid table players up and turn them in to supperstars!!

Looks like I'm sitting at a table for one with my assessment of Barry then. Well, I guess time will tell who's got it right.

What I would say is, anyone who thinks Barry is a one season wonder, (or a lesser player than Alonso), has not watched alot of him. And they certainly weren't up at Villa Park for our night game a couple of years back when he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

barry's good, and his form IMO, has been better than alonso's for a couple of seasons...

but I've read that apparently last season was actually his worst for years and he only turned up in the england games.

though I think alonso is a better player, barry may well improve them, but IMO it's still a strange one. I know he's versatile but why would liverpool spend so much on an area where they actually have some genuinely good players already, when they have far more obvious weaknesses?

barry's good, and his form IMO, has been better than alonso's for a couple of seasons...

but I've read that apparently last season was actually his worst for years and he only turned up in the england games.

though I think alonso is a better player, barry may well improve them, but IMO it's still a strange one. I know he's versatile but why would liverpool spend so much on an area where they actually have some genuinely good players already, when they have far more obvious weaknesses?

Well, I guess it would be hard for him to top the previous season. He won both the Player's and the fan's Player of The Year awards. However, I can only comment on when I have watched him last season and invariably he always played well. Back a few years ago when Ranieri took over at the Bridge and possible new signings were being mulled over. There was a persistent "Barry To Chelsea" rumour at that time. Never happened of course, (we eventually had to make do with some bloke called Lampard), but I remember myself, Butch, Jack and others were strongly in favour of us signing him.

What do I like about him? All of it really. Reads the game well, good passing, strong on the ball, hits a tackle etc. Yes, his versatility is a big plus but I feel he has suffered because of it. Left back/left midfield/centre midfield even centre-half for a spell. The shuffling around to different positions, (especially for such a relatively young player), didn't help his career at times. However, IMO, he has matured and always looks quality anywhere across the middle of the park. And at 27 he's just coming into his peak years.

But did he though G4 ? I think that is a bit of a myth.

He played well with Ickle Stevie against Estonia and Russia at home but when it really, and i mean reaLly mattered against Croatia and Russia (away) he went totally missing. In particular during the defeat against Russia he hid completley and against Croatia he was taken off at half time.

I think he is a decent player, he has a good left peg and a good eye for a pass. But that is it as far as i can see. The filth paying 20 million for him would rank alongside the most overpriced deals in football history.

Im all up for it.

well it was in the words of villa fans- though possibly bitter about him wanting out...

he's done well for england- alan hansen and co pick their favourites (notice the excitement as carrick takes the ball off jt and deftly gives it to rio) and barry is one of them. good but not amazing, but to be fair he's not a defensive player for villa really, whereas he has been for england.

I agree though, anonymous in russia and against croatia. (not alone there of course)

I would love it if Liverpool end up shelling out 18 million for him, but for me, he is a 10-15 million player and nothing more.

Solid player, deserves to play for a club a bit more highly rated than Villa, but not a match winner and not world class in my opinion.

And as others have said, the current scouser squad is crying out for a bit of money to be spent on a decent winger, decent fullbacks and creativity in central midfield. The squad position that Barry would fill really doesn't need strengthening in my opinion.

It seems to me that the only reason they are in for him is that he is pals with St Steven and they would like to play together.

I wonder if the deal breaker was a naked-lady pen :D

It seems to me that the only reason they are in for him is that he is pals with St Steven and they would like to play together.

That there is definitely the heart of the matter. Nobody put this whole Barry to Liverpool scenario together until Ickie Stevie opened his mouth. And being that this assumption, that Gerrard and Barry are made to play with each other, is the driving force behind Rafa's transfer policy this summer then I have to conclude that Rafa and Liverpool are really out of ideas on how to build a side that can actually compete for the title past boxing day

I can see why Dipper fans are so annoyed, but I doubt many of them will stop singing the praises of Rafa.

That there is definitely the heart of the matter. Nobody put this whole Barry to Liverpool scenario together until Ickie Stevie opened his mouth. And being that this assumption, that Gerrard and Barry are made to play with each other, is the driving force behind Rafa's transfer policy this summer then I have to conclude that Rafa and Liverpool are really out of ideas on how to build a side that can actually compete for the title past boxing day

And what I really don't get is two things:

1. "Gerrard and Barry play well together" is based on 2 or 3 international matches against sub-standard (at best) opposition.

2. If you really want to play Gerrard centrally (not his best position in my opinion, but anyway), then you have to play at least one very disciplined, positionally aware central midfielder with him. Barry probably fits the bill, but the stupid thing is that either one of Xabi Alonso or Mascherano absolutely fits the bill. These two players on top form are world class if you ask me - and I am still yet to see anything from Gareth Barry that puts him anywhere near the standard of these two.

In fact, the scouser central midfield has actually been their best area for years. It is on the flanks, both in attack and defence that they have been found out. I'm not sure why the number one priority for them in the transfer market is tinkering with their central midfield, when your first choice winger is Dirk Kuyt.

Archived