Didier Drogba

coco

Chelsea star Didier Drogba will not play until the end of October, according to his national coach Vahid Halilhodzic.

The 30-year-old striker underwent knee surgery earlier in the year and missed the club's pre-season campaign, but he was expected to be back in action within the next few weeks.

Drogba travelled with Ivory Coast ahead of their friendly with Guinea in France and now Halilhodzic has made the claim that he will not be back for another six weeks.

"Drogba will not be back before a month, a month and a half," Halilhodzic said.

"He has started to run but he will not be available for the match against Mozambique (a 2010 World Cup qualifier, September 5)."

Drogba had been pencilled for a return to action at the end of August - although new Chelsea chief Luiz Felipe Scolari has always said he would not rush him back into action.

However, news that he may not be back until October is a huge blow to Chelsea - whose need for a new forward now looks even more pressing.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4020447,00.html

The tw*t will still be fine to play for ivory coast whenever they want him though, only to be struck down by another injury when its time to play for Chelsea.

The stories from a couple of weeks ago about him getting a new contract were a complete joke considering the guy has been "injured" most of the last year.

The tw*t will still be fine to play for ivory coast whenever they want him though, only to be struck down by another injury when its time to play for Chelsea.

The stories from a couple of weeks ago about him getting a new contract were a complete joke considering the guy has been "injured" most of the last year.

Yeah, he's always off playing for Ivory Coast and shirking off matches for us. ;)

Yeah, he's always off playing for Ivory Coast and shirking off matches for us. :D

I think this knee injury is more of a problem than we've let on. I think he'll be in and out all season.

With Pizza being loaned and Sheva taking part in the most ridiculous bit of football business in the history of the game, we need a bit more cover up front, if Anelka gets a knock we've only got spoon-boot Kalou and a 19 year old yet to make his debut.

• 2 weeks later...

reserve game v arsenal tonight should hopefully see drogba back, with paim on the bench. its live on chelsea tv and with sinclair, bruma, mellis and others playing should be worth watching. we desperately need drogba back after the game on sunday so hopefully he will use the next 2 weeks to get back to fitness. interesting to see paim too, he has a chance to prove himself.

a reserve performance tonight and a couple of weeks training should see him at least make the bench against Man City, he's not been called up for International duty which is good news as our medical staff and fitness team will have him to themselves

Love the guy, my new hero, JT? Frank? Nah, all about Didi.

Moscow? Never happened. The diving? Pfffft, he was caught, clearly! Playing for CFC disgusts him? Fair enough sir, I like your honesty.

Unless we sign someone else in January who can play cup football for us... It's Drogba. Our hopes on trophies rely on his form. He is our main striker, on his day he is the best in the world.

Kalou is not a main striker, he isn't going to get 30+ goals, General Franco is too young, he won't get as many games as the other strikers, therefore he won't get the goals. Anelka, is not a striker.

All hail the mighty Drogba

FACupDrogba_468x347.jpg

We need an on form Drogba to lead the line and score the goals, Anelka cant do it. I'm not his biggest fan but you cant deny on his day he is almost unplayable.

I just hope we have the Drogba of 2yrs ago and not last season because having let SWP and Sheva leave without buying another forward we need Drogba fit and firing otherwise we could end up trophy less agian this season.

Can I say.. he looked great last night, he set up the first goal really superbly and he celbrated liek he would any first team goal.

Then in an interview after the first team coach said he had trained witht he reserves for two days, lifted them, gave the pre-match team talks and was happy as anyone in the dressing room after we won.

Cant wait to see him back

When Drogba is back, hopefully for ManCity game, we should play Drogba-Anelka strikepartner with Anelka being the supportive striker. With Deco in the team we should be seeing goals from Anelka soon enough. Anelka has been really far from the short passes he needs to unlock defences and shoot from the edge of the box. Lampard can deliver them as well but Anelka is too shy and doesn't even try to hog the ball which he should do more often. Scolari is right about Anelka being to quiet.

When Drogba is back, hopefully for ManCity game, we should play Drogba-Anelka strikepartner with Anelka being the supportive striker. With Deco in the team we should be seeing goals from Anelka soon enough. Anelka has been really far from the short passes he needs to unlock defences and shoot from the edge of the box. Lampard can deliver them as well but Anelka is too shy and doesn't even try to hog the ball which he should do more often. Scolari is right about Anelka being to quiet.

Agreed. We should have Drogba for the power, Anelka for the pace and I hope it works wonders as we haven't tried to up front for a looong time. Drogba won't be fully fit so to play him on his own first game back would be a very bad thing, give him a lot of support and just let him do the finishing ;). Certainly, Deco will supply Drogba with genius through-balls that will tear any defence apart, and hopefully Joey will improve drastically and be a near 3rd striker/winger/CAM to supply width and can link up with Drogba and Anelka.

I agree; Drogba will either make or break us this season.

Very true, and a far cry from the Chelsea of a few years ago when there were options options options.

Its now too little too late, but if we're gonna put our faith in the season on a pair of guys pushing 30, part of me wishes we had the good sense to get Eidur back. Because he could get goals, just not apparrently enough of them.

Very true, and a far cry from the Chelsea of a few years ago when there were options options options.

Its now too little too late, but if we're gonna put our faith in the season on a pair of guys pushing 30, part of me wishes we had the good sense to get Eidur back. Because he could get goals, just not apparrently enough of them.

He scored 78 in 200 something appearances (all competitions) I think. I'm sure he created more than he scored. We shouldn't've sold him. He was one of our best strikers, and while he was here with Drogba, they linked up brilliantly, the most distinct rememberance in the 1-0 victory against Manc, Jose's first game! If only Jose kept him up front with Drogs rather than putting him in midfield (a role he played very well!) he would've surely broken the 100 mark! Bring Eidur back!

Same on both counts. Robben was a petulant ass, but Eidur was a true gent and proud to be a blue. You could tell. And his scoring record for this club was pretty damned impressive. He knocked in 16 the year we first won the title, and didnt say a pip when they stuck him in midfield. He's only 29 and is a very good support striker that can be used in midfield.

I dont know why we sold him. He was happy to be a bit part player, but we were so blinded at the time by the prospect of winning the CL. We needed Ballacks and Shevas, not Tiagos and Eidurs.

The thing Roman, Jose and everyone at the club never realized is that winning the CL is more about getting enough cracks and getting the breaks to go your way than having some class of galactico to call on. Outside of Ballack and Ashley Cole, the team that got us to Moscow last year was virtually identical to the one that saw us win the league back to back. We just got the breaks last year that werent there in previous seasons

Jesus christ I wish I was bruce buck.

Archived