Last Movie You Watched

Seen a few movies this past week.

Ted

- I thought it would be a disappointment. The trailer seemed funny, but I didn't think the movie could live up to it. But it did. It was quite funny and overall not too bad.

The Muppet Christmas Carol

- Have wanted to see this one for a long time and seeing as christmas is approaching I finally saw it. Great movie! Funny and sad with great acting from Michael Caine. Certainly a must-see for christmas.

Paranorman

- I always gets happy when I see a movie made with stop-motion as it's not that common anymore. This movie was very strange in the way that it's aimed at kids, but is about death, ghosts and witches. Sure, there's a lot of funny jokes in it, but it's almost a horror-comedy for kids. Some jokes are also for the older audience.

But it's a really good movie I will watch more times. The voice-work is good as well. Some of them really surprised me as I really couldn't guess which actor it was.

The Dark Knight Rises

- Ah, finally I completed the trilogy that some hail as the best ever. I say "bulls*it". It's lucky to get into top three even. This movie makes quite a few people scream about perfection and "It's the best movie ever!". I really can't agree with that.

It's a good movie, absolutely, but it do have quite a few flaws. The acting is strong though, but can someone please tell me what the deal is with Marion Cotillard? She won an Oscar like five years ago and since then she's appeared in quite a few big movies. I haven't seen the one she won the award for, but have seen atleast five other movies with her and I honestly don't see what so great about her. She's barely okay in this one, as well as in the others I've seen, apart from perhaps Midnight In Paris, but maybe the movie itself made me forget about her acting in that one.

Oh well, this movie wasn't brilliant, but it was good.

The Dark Knight Rises

- Ah, finally I completed the trilogy that some hail as the best ever. I say "bulls*it". It's lucky to get into top three even. This movie makes quite a few people scream about perfection and "It's the best movie ever!".

Perfection? It's not even the best film in the trilogy and the trilogy is VERY uneven to say the least. Heck, it's not even the best thing Nolan's done, to be honest.

Saw Argo at the weekend, it's very good. Hard to believe it's based on a true story. I'm too young to remember when embassy siege when it happened, so lots of tense moments as I didn't have a clue if the hostages lived or died.

I 'd never have thought Ben Affleck would make such a good director. He obviously prefers to make films about subjects he cares about, and has such a no-nonsense straight forward approach it's actually kind of refreshing.

Saw Argo at the weekend, it's very good. Hard to believe it's based on a true story. I'm too young to remember when embassy siege when it happened, so lots of tense moments as I didn't have a clue if the hostages lived or died.

I 'd never have thought Ben Affleck would make such a good director. He obviously prefers to make films about subjects he cares about, and has such a no-nonsense straight forward approach it's actually kind of refreshing.

Affleck is not much of an actor, but as a producer he's great. I have to see Argo.

It's a good movie, absolutely, but it does have quite a few flaws. The acting is strong though, but can someone please tell me what the deal is with Marion Cotillard? She won an Oscar like five years ago and since then she's appeared in quite a few big movies. I haven't seen the one she won the award for, but have seen at least five other movies with her and I honestly don't see what so great about her. She's barely okay in this one, as well as in the others I've seen, apart from perhaps Midnight In Paris, but maybe the movie itself made me forget about her acting in that one.

Oh well, this movie wasn't brilliant, but it was good.

Moosie, your verb endings are slipping!

The one she won the Oscar for was La Vie En Rose - the life of Edith Piaf, in which she was sublime.

Edited by moi

Moosie, your verb endings are slipping!

The one she won the Oscar for was La Vie En Rose - the life of Edith Piaf, in which she was sublime.

I need to better myself :wink:

As for "La Vie En Rose" it really is a movie I want to see. Not only to see if Cotillard is better in it, but also because I really like Edith Piaf but know very little about her life.

Watched 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' last night, I did go to see it at the cinema, but wanted to see it again as I have the feeling that this will be a really good series of films.

Have to say I wasn't disapointed 2nd time around, the special effects in it are very good, and the story was actually better than I remembered and hopefully has set the scene for a few more films to follow.

Say a prayer for me, my Chelsea acolytes. I have to go with the old lady today and see Breaking Dawn, Part II. Does anyone have some whiskey that I can drink prior to doing this?

What on earth is Breaking Dawn? and why are you agreeing to go and see that on a Saturday? Will you miss the match?

When you say "old lady" do you mean your wife or your mother? "Old lady" used to mean "mother" (so does "old dear") while "the old woman" is your wife!

You need some assertiveness training, young Phillip!

Say a prayer for me, my Chelsea acolytes. I have to go with the old lady today and see Breaking Dawn, Part II. Does anyone have some whiskey that I can drink prior to doing this?

My thoughts are with you. And evening of watching that glittertits vampire must be really hard. But it seems that movie has gotten better reviews than the other ones, so maybe it wont be as bad as the rest.

Well, I got through it with the wife ('old lady' as we call her in the States). It was not nearly as bad as Full Moon and Breaking Dawn Part I, but still way too sappy to suit my tastes. So, those critics were correct, Moos, but still not a good movie.

Edited by Phillip

What on earth is Breaking Dawn? and why are you agreeing to go and see that on a Saturday? Will you miss the match?

When you say "old lady" do you mean your wife or your mother? "Old lady" used to mean "mother" (so does "old dear") while "the old woman" is your wife!

You need some assertiveness training, young Phillip!

Are you telling me that the 'Twilight' sensation has not made it over to Europe? I find that hard to believe.

Are you telling me that the 'Twilight' sensation has not made it over to Europe? I find that hard to believe.

I expect it has. I hadn't heard the individual titles. But I have never seen any of it, didn't want to before, and now I've heard your description I definitely don't want to!

If you were between 11 and 17 years old, you would want to see them, Moi. But something tells me that you are a little older than that. The theater was full of screaming teen girls, my old woman, and me.

As of today I am a lot older than that! But surely your old woman is a wee bit older than 17, isn't she?

Couple of movies in the last couple of days.

Sinister

- The trailer looked interesting, the reviews has been rather good (especially for a horror movie), so I really looked forward to seeing this one. Can't say I was that impressed. The story is rather good and it opens in a very good way, but since this is a scary movie, I expected some scares. Some slightly eerie parts, but nothing special and the "surprise scares" the movie had wasn't very surprising because you kind of knew when they would come and some of them wasn't that scary even.

This movie has been compared a bit with Insidious and personally I'd take the latter one over this any day. Way more scary.

Looper

- Had been looking forward to this one and I can't say I was that disappointed. Guy kills people sent back from the future and one day faces himself (well, the old version anyway). I must say that the trailer didn't really show the real story in this movie. I thought it would either be a cat and mouse chase between those two or perhaps that they would team up against someone, but it was neither.

The movie wasn't perhaps as good as I had hopes, but it was still very good. Liked the actors as well. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really good, Bruce Willis as well (looked really old though) and the rest are fine as well. Extra credit to Pierce Gagnon who, despite being about 6-7 years old, was very impressive in this one.