Last Movie You Watched

Prometheus - 4.5/10 - Watchable, but so many clich├ęs and hardly anything original in the whole film. Some of it was downright embarassing to watch it was so poor, a 5 year odl could have written the basic premise for the story.

John Carter - 7/10 - Much more enjoyable than Prometheus, seemed more original to me as well.

Over the last three days I have seen 6 films at the Festival of British Cinema in Dinard - two old ones and four new ones.

In order of viewing they were:

The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - Tom Courtenay

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056194/

Thirteen Steps Down - Luke Treadaway, Geraldine James

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2336352/

Wasteland - Matthew Lewis, Timothy Spall

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981140/

I, Anna - Gabriel Byrne, Charlotte Rampling

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587411/

Papadopolous and Sons - Stephen Dillane

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2006810/

and...

The Dresser - Albert Finney, Tom Courtenay, Eielen Atkins, Edward Fox

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085461/

The four new ones were perfectly watchable, two quite gripping (I, Anna and Thirteen Steps Down) one sweet and entertaining (Papadopolous and Sons) and one maybe better suited to television in 2 episodes, though nonetheless an interesting film with an unexpected twist.(Wasteland)

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner I had seen before and knew it was good, but had forgotten just how brilliant it was. After it Tom Courtenay himself did an hour's interview with the audience answering all their questions in a very modest and self-deprecatory way. I desperately wanted to go up and shake him by the hand, but didn't want to be a pushy expat, so I didn't.

The Dresser, which I saw this afternoon for the first time, left me stunned, orgasmic and spell-bound, wishing I had never before used superlatives because I wanted to find new words of praise not just for Finney and Courtenay but for all the minor parts, and the stage manager, the lighting engineers and everyone involved in the production of this mind-boggling brilliant film.

Edited by moi

No, but I'll make sure I see it as soon as I get back from Scotland, where I am going for a family wedding in a couple of days.

P.S. Oh bugger! It's on this week and I have only two days left before I get the plane, and I have things on both evenings. Can I think of a sufficiently convincing fib???

Edited by moi

Don't they have matinee screenings?

Not sure when it'll be shown up in this neck of the woods. We only have a couple of cinemas that show (real) films, the others all show movies, if you catch my drift (trying desperately to avoid a can of worms here)

Don't they have matinee screenings?

Not sure when it'll be shown up in this neck of the woods. We only have a couple of cinemas that show (real) films, the others all show movies, if you catch my drift (trying desperately to avoid a can of worms here)

You have avoided it very dexterously! I get your drift!

The end of that movie makes me feel sick. So horrible.

If you like gangster movies I can recommend:

> Donnie Brasco

> Carlito's Way

> Gangster No.1

> Sexy Beast

> The Departed

>City of God

And of course the Godfathers

I've seen all except Donnie Brasco which really is on my to watch list and City of God which I've not heard of but will look out for now!

Of course none of these are a patch on 'The Godfather' both 1 and 2

Edited by shedpensioner

City of God is the odd one out on that list. It's probably better than all the others except Godfather, though.

"City of God" is my favorite movie ever, ahead of even the first two Godfathers. I certainly don't argue though with their inclusion on the lists of best movie lists, I just enjoy "City of God" more.

I believe I've just watched one of the worst movies of this year - Chernobyl Diaries.

It's about a group of tourists who go on an "extreme tour" to Pripyat - where the workers at Chernobyl lived. It's supposed to be abandoned (apart from some animals), but the tourists soon realise that there might be more "things" there.

I didn't expect much from this movie - maybe an okay film that could provide some scares.

What I got was a boring movie, which a rather boring plot and with mediocre (at best) acting.

Most of the times one could guess what would happen (including the ending) and I really didn't care much for the characters. There was perhaps one person whom I maybe didn't want to see get killed and he didn't last long.

The scares mostly existed of "oh s*it, something is coming, run like hell!" which usually isn't that scary.

Anyway, it was a s*itty movie that I won't see again.

Atleast I got to see "The Sting" again (not sure how many times I've seen it) a couple of days ago. My favourite movie. Simply brilliant.

• 1 month later...