Last Movie You Watched

I got my hands on a movie some time ago which I really wanted to see, but never actually got around to. Tonight I finally saw it and as always I regret not seeing it before.

It's called "The Song of Lunch" and it's barely 50 minutes long.

From what I can tell it's based on a poem so the narrative in it is quite poetic. Now I'm not a fan of poetry (I've read some in my life, but never really liked it), but this was very good. It made everyday things sound interesting and at times wonderful. The words really filled me up.

The movie is about a man who is meeting up with his former lover for lunch and the two people are played by Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson.

Two absolutely wonderful actors who really made this movie great.

I highly recommend people to see this one.

End of Watch is a very decent film, watched it earlier, wasn't expecting much in all honesty but it surprised me a lot and was hugely entertaining. Also it didn't hurt that Anna Kendrick was in it!

In the past week also saw Woody Allen's Mighty Aphrodite which was brilliant and definitely one of his best newer films.

Edited by ant-sw6

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see The Hobbit: The Phantom Menace An Unexpected Journey today. It saw it in HFR 3D and I had pretty mixed feelings about it. In parts it looked absolutely stunning, but in parts it looked like a bad day time soap(not talking about the content, just the visuals). 3D's still not my thing. I had to keep adjusting the damn glasses through the whole movie as they never seemed to feel quite comfortable. I didn't get any eye strain, though. That has been the problem with some of the longer 3D movies in the past.

As for the movie in itself, it definitely had its good moments, but I felt the makers weren't quite sure what the tone of the movie should be: lighter and more of a children's tale like the original book or make it more serious and take it closer to the Lord of the Rings. A bit of a mixed bag, really.

Edited by Maksimov

I went to see The Hobbit: The Phantom Menace An Unexpected Journey today. It saw it in HFR 3D and I had pretty mixed feelings about it. In parts it looked absolutely stunning, but in parts it looked like a bad day time soap(not talking about the content, just the visuals). 3D's still not my thing. I had to keep adjusting the damn glasses through the whole movie as they never seemed to feel quite comfortable. I didn't get any eye strain, though. That has been the problem with some of the longer 3D movies in the past.

As for the movie in itself, it definitely had its good moments, but I felt the makers weren't quite sure what the tone of the movie should be: lighter and more of a children's tale like the original book or make it more serious and take it closer to the Lord of the Rings. A bit of a mixed bag, really.

I'm in a quandary because it;'s showing in my local cinema this week - but in French.  Could I bear to see Bilbo Baggins speaking French?  Not sure...

I couldn't. Not only because I couldn't understand a word he'd say, but also because I hate dubbed movies.

Me too, that's the problem.  But if I don't see it now goodness knows when I'll get to see it in the original version - not till it comes out on DVD, I expect, and it's not really the  sane as the big screen.

I'm in a quandary because it;'s showing in my local cinema this week - but in French.  Could I bear to see Bilbo Baggins speaking French?  Not sure...

The only movie I could bear to watch dubbed is one that's sh*t to begin with, i.e. bad kung fu dubs are part of the appeal. For a movie like The Hobbit, it'd ruin the experience. A big appeal of the movie for me is the cast. Watching Martin Freeman and then hearing Gerard Depardieu is not my cup of tea. 

I went to see Seven Psychopaths today. It was written and directed by the guy who made In Bruges so I was expecting a brilliant dark comedy, this was much more dark than comedy though. Still it's an entertaining, cleverly plotted film with a few laugh-out-loud moments. I think maybe my appetite for violent movies had been reduced as a result of recent events though. It's definitely worth going to see if you're not interested in The Hobbit, etc.

Saw Frankenweenie today. I saw the short film many years ago so I was a bit curious about this one.

Have to say that even though it's not Tim Burtons best movie, it's still really good. But don't take your kids to see it because it is very dark and slightly creepy. It's made in black and white, which makes it even more creepy.

It's about a young boy called Victor (last name: Frankenstein) and his dog Sparky. They are the best of friends, but one day Sparky runs to get a ball and is hit by a car and dies. Victor is really sad, but seeing as he's a bit for a scientist he finally tries to bring his dead dog back to life. It works and Sparky the former dead dog is back, all patched up, but with bits falling off sometimes.

I laughed and I cried. Will definitely see it again.

Jack Reacher: It's like a grittier, more grown up Mission Impossible with a little Bourne thrown in. Tom Cruise plays his usual character very well. It's ultimate male fantasy stuff, you'll probably already know if you like this sort of thing. I found it thoroughly entertaining.

If the clever plot, dynamic car chases and gun fights aren't enough for you, then the multiple opportunities to gaze at Rosamund Pike's lovely cleavage up there on the big screen should be reason enough to go and see it  ;)