Last Movie You Watched

He was the executive producer for the mini series "From the Earth to the Moon".  I think it's quite interesting that with both "Band of Brothers" and "From the Earth to the Moon" he first starred in a movie that handled very similar subject matter ("Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" + "Apollo 13" and "From the Earth to the Moon") and then went on to produce a mini series in which he didn't act (well, he does these little introductory speeches at the beginning of each episode of "From the Earth to the Moon", but I don't count that), but which was better and more interesting than the movie. "The Pacific" was a bit disappointing, though. "Band of Brothers" had the same core of characters and a story arc from the first episode to the last, but the only thing that seemed to hold "The Pacific" together (just barely) was that all episodes told about battles in roughly the same part of the world. I know it was based on a couple of books, but as a whole I thought it was a bit of a mess.

I agree The Pacific doesn't compare favourably to Band of Brothers. It's still a very good series but it was slightly disjointed, and thinking about it now I remember the series more for it's imagery and battle scenes than for its storyline or any of its characters. Band of Brothers was much better in that respect.

I'd not heard of From the Earth to the Moon until now, it looks a lot like something I'd enjoy watching.

Saw Django Unchained tonight (Tarantino), was amazing. Well worth a watch if you guys haven't caught it yet.

Same here! Thought it was brilliant! Well written, extremely violent and very funny. Everything i could possibly want from a Tarantino film. Loved Di Caprio's performance in particular.  

Tarantino's cameo was laughable and unnecessary though...

Sophie Scholl is a very good film, but there are others that I prefer if you're looking for modern German cinema.

Das Leben der Anderen - 2006

Der Untergang - 2004

Die Fälscher - 2007

Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei - 2004

Das Experiment - 2001

Die Welle - 2008

Antikörper - 2005

Das weiße Band wasn't a bad movie, but I found myself disappointed. I'm usually a big fan of Haneke's work, but DwB struck me as a bizarre amalgamation of Von Trier's Dogville and the French movie Caché (which Haneke also wrote). Personally, I thought that a lot of the questions that he asks in DwB were explored more successfully in Caché. Visually, though, DwB is gorgeous. 

You can add "Der Baader Meinhof Komplex" too.

I thought Die Welle was really good and clever.

Not last, but one of recent movies I watched was Max Manus. Decent movie and it was interesting for me to find out something more about Norwegian history in WW2.

You can add "Der Baader Meinhof Komplex" too.

I thought Die Welle was really good and clever.

Not last, but one of recent movies I watched was Max Manus. Decent movie and it was interesting for me to find out something more about Norwegian history in WW2.

I wouldn't. I found the movie to be beautifully shot and meticulous in capturing the look and feel of the times, but incredibly overindulgent, poorly written (particularly in terms of characterization), historically inaccurate and ponderous after the first couple of acts. I don't understand how it's received so much acclaim. If you want a historical perspective on the RAF and turmoil in Germany during the 70s, this won't help you. If you want an entertaining movie, I'm afraid it's still a poor choice.

Loved Max Manus, though. Aksel Hennie is one of my favorite "unknown" actors. He was fantastic in Hodejegerne as well. 

In my pursuit to watch all nominated movies in this years Oscars I got to cross another movie off my list last night - Argo.

Really good movie. Ben Affleck isn't the greatest actor, but he wasn't that bad as the lead character. He's much better at making movies and Argo really proves that.

The movie should have a decent chance at winning.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here! Thought it was brilliant! Well written, extremely violent and very funny. Everything i could possibly want from a Tarantino film. Loved Di Caprio's performance in particular.  

Tarantino's cameo was laughable and unnecessary though...

Tarantino's accent was crap, I didn't realise he was supposed to be an Aussie until the other guy spoke. He does make a very impressive exit though ;)

Loved the film, those three hours really flew by. I was expecting a typical Tarantino blood bath but the first couple of hours are quite tame, and are actually very funny at times. The last hour of the movie is insane, in a good way.

Edited by bluedave

Tarantino's accent was crap, I didn't realise he was supposed to be an Aussie until the other guy spoke. His does make a very impressive exit though ;)

Loved the film, those three hours really flew by. I was expecting a typical Tarantino blood bath but the first couple of hours are quite tame, and are actually very funny at times. The last hour of the movie is insane, in a good way.

Ooh!  I'm going to see it tomorrow!  Will let you know what I think.  This is encouraging though.

Ooh!  I'm going to see it tomorrow!  Will let you know what I think.

Interesting to hear what you make of it. I haven't seen it yet, though. I have been busy with work and what not, so I haven't been in any rush to go and see it. Then again, I thought Tarantino's previous one was pretty poor.

Ooh!  I'm going to see it tomorrow!  Will let you know what I think.  This is encouraging though.

I hope you enjoy it. I don't see you as the sort of person who is offended by naughty language or fake blood so I'd be surprised if you don't, it's quite a fun film despite the subject matter.

I'm just back from seeing Django Unchained which was absolutely brilliant.  from  the very first scene to the very last I was totally gripped.  Don't want to give anything away about it, but there's humour, there's excellent dialogue, there's surprise and ...

go and see it for yourselves!!

It was brilliant wasn't it!? Loved the soundtrack too, QT knows good music. And Samuel L Jackson was hilarious!

It was brilliant wasn't it!? Loved the soundtrack too, QT knows good music. And Samuel L Jackson was hilarious!

Wasn't he just!! I didn't even recognise him at first!  Yes, the music was superb!  I want to buy the soundtrack.

and P.S. I don't think this is giving anything away - there is a scene where blood splatters over the brilliant white of the cotton flowers that the slaves are picking - beautiful!

Edited by moi

Wasn't he just!! I didn't even recognise him at first!  Yes, the music was superb!  I want to buy the soundtrack.

and P.S. I don't think this is giving anything away - there is a scene where blood splatters over the brilliant white of the cotton flowers that the slaves are picking - beautiful!

That's was a great scene.

Another scene I liked (switching to white text for spoilers) was the scene where Leonardo Di Caprio goes apesh*t and cuts his hand on broken glass at the dinner table.... I only found out today that it wasn't in the script, he cut his hand for real and improvised the part where he grabs the girl and smears it down her face so her horrified expression was completely genuine. I never noticed at the time but it's one of the few scenes in the film where the blood doesn't look fake!

Brideshead with Jeremy Irons?  It was a really good  series.

I wasn't so keen on Pride and Prejudice, but I'm not really a fan of Jane Austen's work.

WHAT!? Not keen on Pride and Prejudice!?

Someone call the ambulance because clearly Moi is not well. Is there an asylum where we can send her for a while?

How can you not be keen on Pride and Prejudice? It's fantastic!

The 1995 version with Colin Firth is to die for. I absolutely love it.

WHAT!? Not keen on Pride and Prejudice!?

Someone call the ambulance because clearly Moi is not well. Is there an asylum where we can send her for a while?

How can you not be keen on Pride and Prejudice? It's fantastic!

The 1995 version with Colin Firth is to die for. I absolutely love it.

Moosie dear, you do know that Pride and  Prejudice is a 19th century novel by Jane Austen, don't you?  I don;t like Jane Austen's novels much and I don't like the films made from them much.  Are you sure it's not Colin Firth that you think is to die for?

I must confess to being drawn in more so by Susannah Harker than Colin Firth.

He is tolerable, I suppose.

Brideshead with Jeremy Irons?  It was a really good  series.

That's the one.

After reading the first chapter, Et In Arcadia Ego, I decided to dive in and watch the first episode. I'm about thirty minutes into it thus far, and am enjoying it a great deal.

I think I'll return to the book and finish it first though, before coming back to the series and watching it in a single sitting.