Inspite of Ancelotti

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

........ and his team selection we won. We managed to get out of jail.

Very hard at the moment to spot any differences whatsoever between Ranieri and Ancelotti. Carlo/Claudio. Even the names are very similar.

No doubt Pauly and other members of the Serie A Admiration Society will jump in and tell us what a tactical genius the fella is, but to me he is just looking like the Tinkerman Mk II. The fella who's team contrived to throw away a three goal lead in Champion's League final.

Someone said this week he is probably still learning about the EPL. Well judging by today's incredible team selection, (I take it everyone else was as shocked by his choice of starting back four as much as all those inside Stamford Bridge were?), he needs to learn a bit faster because at the moment Roman is marking his half-term report card and Mr Ancelotti is in danger of failing the 11+. Extra lessons after school are definately required.

I thought his starting eleven was bizarre (and in particular the back four) and I said that in the match thread when the line up was announced. It looked a little like career suicide to me and for the first half of the game today it appeared he was getting exactly what he deserved.

I do give him credit for the tactical switch at half time and maybe that is what is needed for him to realise that he does not have the players at his disposal to play the diamond.

switch to 433 at ht worked well, subs were good too.

fantastic team talk at half time clearly.

he just needs to take a bit more pressure off the players, but otherwise doing very well.

Superb.

Subs were excellent. Especially Ivanovich for Ferrira who played like his boots were tied together. But tell me. Why was Ferrira even on the pitch in place of Ivanovich?

Why was Alex dropped?

Why was Ashley dropped?

PS: Ray Wilkins gave the half-time team talk. Ancelotti was busy drawing patterns on the chalk board.

Edited by just

I think we should be wary about leaping into the '4-3-3 will save our season' pond. Don't forget that by the time Jose left the 4-3-3 was no longer as effective and througout the Grant era he stuck with it and it looked good but never great. We no longer have a holding midfielder of the calibre of Makalele and we certainly don't have top drawer wingers for both sides of the pitch so 4-3-3 may not be such a good plan.

What we do have (once Drogba returns) is a strike partnership that works and the 4-3-3 will destroy that.

probably because they played two days earlier in positions where they spend the entire game running up and down...

well not alex, though I'd personally have gone for alex against zamora and riccy against benitez.

speaking of butch, I think he's further proof of ancelotti's fantastic management. to think he has had to deal with butch as his assistant given that everyone here knows he's rubbish.

and not only that, but he's without clarkey, who's defensive coaching is really reaping rewards at west ham.

I think he got it wrong with team selection, obviously the defence that started the Brum game should have been the one for this game and barring injuries or the return of Bosingwa it is our best at the moment,

That said I think Ancelotti is trying to rest players in case of injury and to keep other options match fit (obviously Ferreira was nowhere near that today) and had Fulham not have scored early on it may have been a worthwhile idea.

Had we not let that Goal in which we likely wouldn't had Paulo been at his best (or not playing) then the nerves that so obviously set in could have been avoided and we could have gone and won the game without the tension that playing three quarters of a game 0-1 down with a closing pack of title contenders tends to give you.

The switch definatly helped but nobody can be sure that if we had not started with the diamond the result would have been any different..we could have gone 0-1 down playing 433 and had the same problems breaking them down and maybe a switch to the Diamond would have done the trick?

Teams have learned to combat the way we play and they do expect Carlo to stick with the Diamond regardless but credit to him for the subs and realising it was a good time to revise the system, he acted and it worked.

We are still clear at the top of the best league and into the latter stages of the CL and we are not running on Mourinho's will to win or Clarkes defensive Nouse, we got there with Carlo in charge and if he makes a few mistakes along the way it is surely par for the course.

I am not saying he is the best availlable but he is a good manager and given time to make the team his own can do well here, he has not even brought any players in yet and is using a system that could do with a couple of additions to work at its best but still he has done well with it.

I really think this time we should all at least give him the whole season before we start comparing him to other managers or maybe wait at least until another team is acctually doing better than us.

Edited by Chippy

gullit is always sarcastic, but in this case i'm on his side...carlo did get the team wrong, but he got the second half changes right...i think alex should be first choice next to JT, who's had a bad month himself apart from brum. had no problems zhirkov starting and he did nothing wrong, but paulo has become a joke...can't even be called a bit part player and when he comes in the team he shows little desire to prove he deserves more than a once in a while outing

Chaps you can bat it backwards and forwards all you like. A Diamond, A 4-3-3, A 4-4-2, A Christmas Tree. Any formation you wanna pick. Any excuse you want. But you simply do not. You do not change your entire first choice back four in one fell swoop.

Not even in under 10's Sunday League football.

gullit is always sarcastic, but in this case i'm on his side...carlo did get the team wrong, but he got the second half changes right...i think alex should be first choice next to JT, who's had a bad month himself apart from brum. had no problems zhirkov starting and he did nothing wrong, but paulo has become a joke...can't even be called a bit part player and when he comes in the team he shows little desire to prove he deserves more than a once in a while outing

I think that's a little harsh on paulo

one thing we have learnt about paulo these past few years is that he needs a run of games to pick up form and sharpness. So in that respect just sticking him him for a game once every two months is never going to work.

A move would be best for the club and best for him, he's far too good to be a bit part player and it doesn't suit him.

If a better looking coach had made those changes at half-time, and the substitutions, the forum would be buzzing for days in praise of the great man. In fact in the days when Mourinho did make poor initial selections and rectified them by astute changes woebetide the brave man who would tentatively suggest that maybe slight mistakes had been made at the outset.

Of course that would be wrong as would vilifying Ancelotti, as football is still about players as much as Dick Keyes would like to tell us otherwise.

For me the story of this game was how well Fulham defended for the majority of the game and how poorly we crossed the ball when we got into numerous promising positions. In fact the first time we cleared the first defender we scored. Not the coach's fault that.

what is needed for him to realise that he does not have the players at his disposal to play the diamond.

disagree totally with that. Surely youre not saying that lamps and joe dont have enough quality to play in the diamond? The fact is today they were simply woeful and lazy, ancio is part responsible for that in that he has had a long time to organise them into playing a diamond midfield and today it looked like they had been asked to switch to it mid game and had never seen it before, or, more likely, that today the midfield just didnt put in enough.

disagree totally with that. Surely youre not saying that lamps and joe dont have enough quality to play in the diamond? The fact is today they were simply woeful and lazy, ancio is part responsible for that in that he has had a long time to organise them into playing a diamond midfield and today it looked like they had been asked to switch to it mid game and had never seen it before, or, more likely, that today the midfield just didnt put in enough.

They can be taught to play it and can adapt to it but at the moment they are not playing it well and won't be afforded the time to adapt. They have palyed it before in the JOse era but just now it looks like it is alien to them.

If a better looking coach had made those changes at half-time, and the substitutions, the forum would be buzzing for days in praise of the great man. In fact in the days when Mourinho did make poor initial selections and rectified them by astute changes woebetide the brave man who would tentatively suggest that maybe slight mistakes had been made at the outset.

Of course that would be wrong as would vilifying Ancelotti, as football is still about players as much as Dick Keyes would like to tell us otherwise.

For me the story of this game was how well Fulham defended for the majority of the game and how poorly we crossed the ball when we got into numerous promising positions. In fact the first time we cleared the first defender we scored. Not the coach's fault that.

Your gonna have to help me on this one Liam.

I remember Jose made a major cock up in the FA Cup Semi against Liverpool in 2006. For some reason he chose to play Geremi at full-back and started Ferrira in midfield. We lost the game and he quite rightly got slaughtered by everyone for that decision. But I'm struggling to remember a time The Special One changed practically our entire back line from one game to another, (injuries aside). In fact I as I remember it, he made us the force we became principally by having a solid and consistent defence.

Your right about football being about players though. That's why it's usually the norm for a manger to start with his best ones.

I think I have a hunch as to why we played paulo and zhirkov today. One word: Crossing. These are perhaps the two best crossers of the ball in our squad (in ancelotti's eyes anyway). Ahsley is rubbish at crossing, and had a mare against West Ham. Paulo usually can cross pretty well, but he didn't play well. Unsure about Ivanovic, but maybe he was being dropped because of his comments about Real Madrid.

This plan probably worked for Milan because they had players who could actually head the ball, and players who could deliver good balls into the box. For some reason, Chelsea are absolute bollocks at scoring from headers, and at crossing too. How often do we score from corners? Not as bloody much as we should be doing anyway.

At least Ancelotti is trying to switch things around, but I'm trying my best to stay positive. What a lucky win.

What I am surprised about is the form of Lampard he is playing absolutely horrible. He had a revival under Hiddink, but Ancelotti has done something to him.

Your gonna have to help me on this one Liam.

Didn't he make people hard with his brilliant early substitutions when we fell behind in games? I don't remember "In Spite of Jose" threads on those occasions.

When Jose did it, it was because he was brilliant. When any other manager since then does it, it's because he got it wrong in the first place.

I think I have a hunch as to why we played paulo and zhirkov today. One word: Crossing. These are perhaps the two best crossers of the ball in our squad (in ancelotti's eyes anyway). Ahsley is rubbish at crossing, and had a mare against West Ham. Paulo usually can cross pretty well, but he didn't play well. Unsure about Ivanovic, but maybe he was being dropped because of his comments about Real Madrid.

This plan probably worked for Milan because they had players who could actually head the ball, and players who could deliver good balls into the box. For some reason, Chelsea are absolute bollocks at scoring from headers, and at crossing too. How often do we score from corners? Not as bloody much as we should be doing anyway.

At least Ancelotti is trying to switch things around, but I'm trying my best to stay positive. What a lucky win.

What I am surprised about is the form of Lampard he is playing absolutely horrible. He had a revival under Hiddink, but Ancelotti has done something to him.

Agree about PF and Zhirkovs´s crossing.

I think Ivanovic wasnt dropped because of his comments about Real (what comments anyways?). Ashley and Ivan just needed a rest.

He's the manager he picks the team he don't pick a team to lose he thought that team would beat Fullham after half time he put it right and we won its a long season, its about your squad size and how Ancelotti use them, because we not playing well at the moment everybody has to blame someone.This is Chelsea we beat Arsenal away and we all thought we will walk it?.ps why was joes there today? ::ChElSeaFLag::

One thing that occurred to me was this

A couple of seasons ago, all the mid-table muppets would hassle and harry us and run about a lot, never giving us time on the ball or the opportunity to pick out the defense-splitting pass. For 70 minutes. Then our superior fitness would come to the fore and we would go on to crush (sometimes) them.

These last two seasons, even the ropiest of teams are, at least, a sh*tload fitter than they were,I'm not sure we as a team are super-fit and we get hassled a lot more, for a lot longer.

That, and we really have had a bucketload of crap luck these last couple of months

Kev