Chelsea close in on Simon Kjaer

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/4657/7/chelsea-close-%C2%A3125m-wolfsburg-defender?

Chelsea could seal the signature of Wolfsburg defender Simon Kjaer as early as Monday, according to sources in Germany.

Carlo Ancelotti has been a fan of the Denmark international for some time and tried to sign him from Palermo while he was in charge at AC Milan.

And the manager thinks Kjaer could be the man to solve Chelsea's current defender shortage. Ricardo Carvalho left in the summer while first-choice pair John Terry and Alex have both struggled with injuries this term.

Wolfsburg have reportedly accepted Chelsea's £12.5m bid for the 21-year-old, who is understood to be keen on the switch to Stamford Bridge.

The best thing about this rumour for me is that it appears Carlo is the one initiating the move, that in my opinion is a lot better than someone on the Board or Roman himself identifying the target, I like that he wanted him at Milan if there's any truth in it and although I've never seen the bloke play that gos for three quarters of the players we're linked with and the thought of it being Carlos choice makes it feel better somehow. If we are going to sign a player Iwe know nothing about I'd be happier to know the Manager does know him well.

The price seems better as well and add to that it sounds like a signing that has futeure written on it and won't put the noses of our best CBs out of joint and I'd say it might make sense.

Might leave a bit in the kitty for what we need much more to add some spark up front even if that has to wait till the summer.

Kjaer played really well for someone his age in Serie A, but I haven't heard much about him after that. A bit like Barzagli - played really well for Palermo, left and didn't exactly shine.

Perhaps someone here have seen more of him at Wolfsburg and might know more about how he has played.

Still young, so possibly someone to count on in the future. Would only be backup to start with I guess.

Would probably cost alot less than Luiz and could turn out a great player.

Hopefully this will signal a move for Bruma out to right-back or defensive midfield, as he is wonderful with the ball and in the tackle but is far too small to compete in the air, at least in the Prem.

Bruma, right back, mid, small???

Anyone who has never heard of him before: he is one of the quieter young prospects in the game and has been for years. He has loads of experience and is only 21. At that price I would be over the f**king moon to get him.

Agreed. He is young and yet with a lot of experience already at the top level. If we can get him at the quoted price I'd say he presents far better value than Luiz. Perhaps there would even be something left in the kitty for a more attacking player.

This would prove as a Club in the transfer market we simply have not a clue. I cannot see it myself, it's got to be Luiz.

This kid was linked to us long before he signed for Wolfsburg, remember clearly Arneson talking about him - 3 kin' million was the asking price.

Before the World Cup started he was touted like Ozil as one of the young players to watch.

Not saying he isn't a good player, he is, as said he wouldn't mind biding his time here, however we never made a move in the

summer, absoulutely no point now in my opinion.

If anyone doesn't remember when he signed for them .... the german press were as surprised as anyone!

"On July 8, 2010 1. Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg bought him for €12 Million. [19] According to some german sources, Simon Kjær is going to Chelsea FC on Monday alongside Fernando Torres to sign a contract."

So we dont sign Pienaar its a sign were on the way down, Roman has lost interest and were a joke of a club. If we do sign a highly rated young player for quite a lot of money, were a joke of a club. Exactly what will it take for you to think we arent a joke of a club.

I'd prefer Kjaer over Luiz anyday. Firstly he's two years younger, has more experience at international level (he's already played in a World Cup), and wouldn't be cup tied for the champions league. He's not going to come in and disrupt the order as he's not going to be a big money signing like Luiz.

More willing to bide his time and wait, learn the game from the senior players and come in and do a job. I've seen him for Wolfsburg a few times this season, and he seem's to be a great passer of the ball as well as solid in the tackle. If we're being held to ransom by Benfica then why not drop our interest and look at alternatives.

Man Utd only paid £30 million for Ferdinand, who was a proven centre back with Premier League pedigree and just coming into his prime (on top of the fact he was English), £5 million less for a player who may do well in the league, may not seems a lot more of a risk than half that for a younger player who is less likely to be thrust into the first team straight away.

I'm not saying he's not a risk, I'm saying I'd rather spend half that money and put it towards signing either a new player, or saving it for when the opportunity appears.

So we dont sign Pienaar its a sign were on the way down, Roman has lost interest and were a joke of a club. If we do sign a highly rated young player for quite a lot of money, were a joke of a club. Exactly what will it take for you to think we arent a joke of a club.

It's easy mate,

Signing Luiz along with Sanchez or Aquero - even all three.

We are one of the few teams in English Football that play an expanded 3 man attack, we are possibly the only team in English Football that have no natural

wide right player.

All three cost a wedge, for me that will signify Roman's commitment. As I said before, I'm going to Bolton on Monday, thinking of Matty Harding. He won't

because he hardly attends a game these days, the only way we can be sure he is still one of us is to flex his financial muscles when we are in need.

On a budget ,Pienaar and Kjaer are two players that if 'the manager' wanted we could have got in the summer - end of story.

It's easy mate,

We are one of the few teams in English Football that play an expanded 3 man attack, we are possibly the only team in English Football that have no natural

wide right player.

All three cost a wedge, for me that will signify Roman's commitment. As I said before, I'm going to Bolton on Monday, thinking of Matty Harding. He won't

because he hardly attends a game these days, the only way we can be sure he is still one of us is to flex his financial muscles when we are in need.

On a budget ,Pienaar and Kjaer are two players that if 'the manager' wanted we could have got in the summer - end of story.

The thing is though Star Carlo never knew in the summer that Benayoun and Alex would pick up long term injuries and couldn't have foreseen the other injuries in the squad, had Youssi and Alex stayed fit I doubt we'd be in for anyone in either position until the Summer.

I would imagine if Roman sticks his hand in his pocket to the tune of 12 million or 30 million he must still be interested in Chelsea and although its relatively small change to him I doubt he'd throw any more in the clubs direction if he had lost interest.

It's easy mate,

wide right player.

So you want him to go out and spend around £100 million ro prove his commitment? Ridiculous, never gonna happen. Plus arent you one who wants our young players in the team as often as possible? How does that fit in with buying 3 players that will keep out our young players. Luiz comes in, Bruma moves down one place. Sanchez comes in, Kakuta moves down one place. Aguero comes in, Sturridge moves down one place. You say we play a 3 man attack, what exactly does that have to do with a wide player? Our 3 attackers swap positions throughout the game, whoever they are. If we had a natural wide player in amongst that then he would constantly go to his position and unbalance us.

Agree with dkw, all 3 of our attack rotate positions throughout the game and a person who can solely play in one position of the three would impair us going forwards.

We'll be much better off signing someone to COMPETE with Bruma as a young pretender who we can nurture and develop. Rather than spending millions on players who are going to impede the process of our youngsters, I think we should only spend huge sums on players to replace the starting 11. Seeing us spend £25 million on a defender who is going to either kick Alex out of the team when fit, or warm the bench for sparing use seems a bit of a waste to me.

Carlo chose his squad at the start of the season and I think we should stand by him whatever happens.