Sturridge

Zola

Call me insane, but with current form I'd stick Sturridge on for 25 minutes at Old Trafford if the option was there.

25? In his current form hes firing better than all our strikers combined. Id give him 90 minutes

Thats the reason hes on loan, dont know what he needs to do to earn a start!

He's doing very well, but is he better than Drogba? Nope. Torres? Nope. Anelka? Maybe on current form yes, but it'd be a gamble.

There are 3 players ahead of him, and unlike Kalou he wasn't so happy to sit on the bench all the time (can't say I blame him)

Yes he's doing very (very, very, very!) well for Bolton right now, but playing for Bolton and playing for Chelsea are two very different things I think. He's getting a *lot* of space right now, and playing for Chelsea it seems you don't really get an awful lot of that.

I still rate him very highly by the way, think he'll become a star player for us in a year or two, but right now we have 3 brilliant options, also worth considering that Sturridge was very ineffective against United in the league...

He's doing very well, but is he better than Drogba? Nope. Torres? Nope. Anelka? Maybe on current form yes, but it'd be a gamble.

There are 3 players ahead of him, and unlike Kalou he wasn't so happy to sit on the bench all the time (can't say I blame him)

Yes he's doing very (very, very, very!) well for Bolton right now, but playing for Bolton and playing for Chelsea are two very different things I think. He's getting a *lot* of space right now, and playing for Chelsea it seems you don't really get an awful lot of that.

I still rate him very highly by the way, think he'll become a star player for us in a year or two, but right now we have 3 brilliant options, also worth considering that Sturridge was very ineffective against United in the league...

I understand its different but even when he played for us this season he looked fairly sharp. Our current lot may be better but they aren't exactly proving it. Torres cant score to save his life (even when he has tonnes of space), Drogba is hitting the target once every 20 or so shots. Anelka seems allergic to the grass in the six yard box so resorts to tame efforts from 25 yards

Maybe the fact Sturridge is a new young player would also make him more unpredictable and harder to mark for teams up against him

We are stuck in a rut and maybe trying something new might spark some life into the team again because the hunger and desire wasnt there on Saturday and its getting harder and harder to watch us play at a snail pace around the box without ever looking a threat

Call me insane, but with current form I'd stick Sturridge on for 25 minutes at Old Trafford if the option was there.

Maybe "insane" would not be the word I'd use, but I think it's safe to say that Sturridge is not a super sub type of player. If the option was there, I'd put him in the starting eleven, but if I wanted to introduce an attacking player later on in the match(feel free to call ME insane), my choice would be Kalou.

Maybe "insane" would not be the word I'd use, but I think it's safe to say that Sturridge is not a super sub type of player. If the option was there, I'd put him in the starting eleven, but if I wanted to introduce an attacking player later on in the match(feel free to call ME insane), my choice would be Kalou.

Id agree with that. He scored everytime he played 25 mins or more for Chelsea this season and now has 6 goals in 8 starts for Bolton.

If he is going to come back next season but only to sit on the bench and come on with 6 minutes to go as he so often did we may as well not bother and just sell him for 10 million to Sunderland.

also worth considering that Sturridge was very ineffective against United in the league...

Using that logic who who should we pick tomorrow night ? Bearing in so may of our mob were top notch last Wednesday!

I think this thread typifies whats wrong, so many players are being picked on reputation rather then actuall output...

to say drogba and torres are ahead of strurridge needs some kind of justification just like we need justification that sturridge should start...

Justification: Stuga is scoring more freely, is confident, has pace and enthusiasem in ebundance at the moment... oh and did i mention he is actually scroing goals, the job of a striker

Article on how Sturridge doesn't want to be a sub at chelsea.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/905766/daniel-sturridge-not-keen-to-return-to-bench-role-at-chelsea?cc=5901

In other words, the 10 minutes I got once in a while isn't going to cut it. I don't blame him for saying something like this. There is a lot of pressure on somebody who only gets to play 10 minutes here and there. You can see he is very comfertable at Bolton and if he can get that comfert level here he will be very good.

I've said it before, but I think he'll stay at Bolton permenantly. If, and this is a very real situation, we fail to win anything this season - then I think we'll go for a more expensive, european signing which is a shame when we have Sturridge right here.

I think Drogba needs to take a seat next season, Anelka may move on (or vice versa). Kalou can continue coming off the bench, and we start with Torres and Sturridge.

Again, this all is dependant on who the manager is next season

Article on how Sturridge doesn't want to be a sub at chelsea.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/905766/daniel-sturridge-not-keen-to-return-to-bench-role-at-chelsea?cc=5901

In other words, the 10 minutes I got once in a while isn't going to cut it. I don't blame him for saying something like this. There is a lot of pressure on somebody who only gets to play 10 minutes here and there. You can see he is very comfertable at Bolton and if he can get that comfert level here he will be very good.

I listened to that interview on Talksport, Danny came across as a confident lad who is happy to now be playing on a regular basis. He was adamant he was returning to Chelsea where he saw his future , providing we want him.

His future here will be decided next season when we will undoubtedly offload some strikers and make Torres the focal point in succession to Drogba. I believe Danny would do well with us but his link-up play with Torres will be pivotal to his future here - unless he surpasses him in ability of course. Be patient! We have 4 strikers at the moment and nobody could have predicted they'd all misfire at the same time. He wanted game time, we couldn't deliver it, so we loaned him out giving him good experience while we rearranged the striker situation for the future.

Just have a feeling Bolton will put a substantial (for them) bid in for Danny in the summer...and if a clear-out is on the cards, i can see it being accepted.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's down to the coaching staff to try to identify whether his recent glut of goals has been due to the different style of play that defenders use against Bolton or whether he can be a legitimate player for our team. I personally think that he still has a long way to come before he's ready to feature for us on a regular basis. He still heavily favours his left foot and I wonder how he'll respond when defenders start to realise that and show him onto his right - hopefully he'll come good and be able to bang them in with both feet, but maybe not, in which case offload him while his value is high.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's down to the coaching staff to try to identify whether his recent glut of goals has been due to the different style of play that defenders use against Bolton or whether he can be a legitimate player for our team. I personally think that he still has a long way to come before he's ready to feature for us on a regular basis. He still heavily favours his left foot and I wonder how he'll respond when defenders start to realise that and show him onto his right - hopefully he'll come good and be able to bang them in with both feet, but maybe not, in which case offload him while his value is high.

His best two goals this year came with his right foot. He has a much better right foot then people give him credit for. Is he not playing against the same teams that we are? How can you say he has a long way to go? Have you seen him play at all?

His best two goals this year came with his right foot. He has a much better right foot then people give him credit for. Is he not playing against the same teams that we are? How can you say he has a long way to go? Have you seen him play at all?

Yes, I've seen him play and I'm aware that he has scored some good goals with his right foot (his second against Ipswich for example was a cracker) but on occasion he has seemed reluctant to take a shot on with his right in favour of turning and hitting it with his left, which is obviously not ideal. Your comment about playing the same teams is not necessarily relevant. Many teams will line up against us intending to park the bus and play for a draw, giving our attackers little time on the ball. I also think it's fair to say that not many teams would use the same strategy against Bolton.

Yes, I've seen him play and I'm aware that he has scored some good goals with his right foot (his second against Ipswich for example was a cracker) but on occasion he has seemed reluctant to take a shot on with his right in favour of turning and hitting it with his left, which is obviously not ideal. Your comment about playing the same teams is not necessarily relevant. Many teams will line up against us intending to park the bus and play for a draw, giving our attackers little time on the ball. I also think it's fair to say that not many teams would use the same strategy against Bolton.

Doesn't every player have a reluctance to use their weaker foot? It isn't ideal that lampard use his left foot either and rarely is he successful when he does. I think Sturridge's right foot is a lot better than u think.

Doesn't every player have a reluctance to use their weaker foot? It isn't ideal that lampard use his left foot either and rarely is he successful when he does. I think Sturridge's right foot is a lot better than u think.

He's still only a kid, he will work on his right foot but, at the moment, his left is pretty good.

I hope we don't make the same mistake we made with letting Scotty Parker and Glen Johnson go, Chelsea need a core of British players to be successful.

He's still only a kid, he will work on his right foot but, at the moment, his left is pretty good.

I hope we don't make the same mistake we made with letting Scotty Parker and Glen Johnson go, Chelsea need a core of British players to be successful.

I wouldn't call letting Glen Johnson go a mistake...it's not like he's particularly good. Parker has done well for West Ham, but he wasn't really performing for us when we let him go.

I wouldn't call letting Glen Johnson go a mistake...it's not like he's particularly good. Parker has done well for West Ham, but he wasn't really performing for us when we let him go.

Have to agree with the above, neither player, at the time or since, is a first team Chelsea player. Have to agree also about your comments about how one footed Sturige is, its his major fault as far as I'm concerned

Have to agree with the above, neither player, at the time or since, is a first team Chelsea player. Have to agree also about your comments about how one footed Sturige is, its his major fault as far as I'm concerned

Doesn't appear to have stopped him banging in the goals for Bolton of late. I've seen him score with both feet anyway, so I wouldn't say he is that one footed - not compared to someone like Robben.

Besides, give me a one footed Sturridge anyday over Kalou, who often appears to play as if his feet are on the wrong way round!!!

Kalou, who often appears to play as if his feet are on the wrong way round!!!

Against utd the other night he reminded me of a kid chasing a balloon, who kicks it every time he tries to pick it up.