Zola - Director of football

Sheva

Now there are rumors emanating from Sky Italia(that broke Di Matteo news) that certain Gianfranco Zola is about to be appointed as the new Director of Football at CFC.

Could be BS, but exciting if true.

P.S Sorry didn't see the other thread. Mod, join them together , if possible.

Edited by abramovich

Well it would certainly be an interesting appointment. AVB seems to have been given total control so Zola would more than likely be technical director in charge of the youth setup and whatnot.

A few individuals suggesting this might be rubbish yet though.

Not knocking the possible appointment of Zola at all, would love to see him at the club again.

But what exactly does a director of football do? The manager is in charge of most if not all things football related, and the youth coach takes control of those matters. Ideally you would want the manager in charge of transfer matters, so never really been sure what the DoF does.

Martin Lipton is convinced it will be Emenalo. Just been chatting with him on twitter. Says AVB is happy enough with it though.

I honestly believe the media don't have a clue what is going on at our club and that's a good thing. Nobody had a clue Robbie would be back and it only got reported early hours of the morning before the Press conference by the english media.

I honestly believe the media don't have a clue what is going on at our club and that's a good thing. Nobody had a clue Robbie would be back and it only got reported early hours of the morning before the Press conference by the english media.

This, absolutely. This Summer so far has proved that the press are as bad as fans for guessing games. The AVB and RDM appointments came out of the blue, no-one had any idea.

One thing we have learned for sure is that Ian McGarry is absolutely not an 'IN THE KNOW' when it comes to CFC.

Would like to get Zola back at Chelsea, but I simply can't see why he would become a DoF. Surely he wants to continue being a manager?

Not sure exactly what a Director of Football does but I've read somewhere that the role is slightly similar to the General Manager in hockey, which would mean that he's in charge of buying and selling players and is also the link between the manager and the board.

If so then I really can't see why we would appoint Zola. Would be better if Hiddink took that post. Perhaps we can leave that post open until he leaves his current job?

If Zola wants to come to Chelsea then I would prefer to have him in charge of our youth team or something. But I doubt he would take a job coaching youths at Chelsea ahead of managing a club.

Saw him play in that Legends tournament a couple of months back - he looked like he's still pretty good with a ball at his feet. I know that a player-manager is a thing, but is a player-director of football pushing it a little too far? ;)

Edited by deg0ey

IF he came to Chelsea, I'd say his job should have something to do with training our youngsters. As a player he was the model professional so I think he could teach the young players a thing or two about what it is to be a professional footballer, AND he could help them improve their skills with the ball as well.