Thinking the Unthinkable

Dorset

Five goals conceded at home against London rivals and a high line strategy pilloried by every animalistic Media outlet from buffalo bull-s**ting Sky to the BBC’s Salford white elephant sanctuary, AVB’s blueprint for Chelsea is most definitely under the microscope and no mistake! Yet amidst all this hullabaloo it is easy to lose sight of the fact that we are still third in the table [just], have a home draw in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup and a strong grip on the group stage of the Champions League. Worrying signs there may be, but these ides of October have also been reflective in all of our nearest rivals results at various stages so far this season, with the notable exception of City who seem to have every base covered so many times over there is precious little margin for mediocrity, let alone mere lapse of form.

Put bluntly, it is now our turn to put in a recovery performance or two and also the moment for AVB to nail some futuristic colours to a mast that’s beginning to bend under the strain of new tactical winds blowing right through a doctrinaire defence. My recommendations would be both immediate (in terms of personnel for that particular area) and preparatory in the form of some blue-sky-thinking during the January transfer window. Whilst I don’t necessarily subscribe to theories currently being bandied about by the press, we can start at the back and should do so by fast-tracking Oriol Romeu into the side as soon as possible. I’ve seen enough of him to want that Barca B boy insurance in front of JT and Luiz on a permanent basis, if only because he has an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time and if ever there was a ‘right time’ it has to be now.

By virtue of this change, together with a final grasping of the nettle that is David Luiz, it almost goes without saying that Branna reverts to RB, thereby ridding us of the right-sided vulnerability on counter-attacks so evident when we’ve had Bosingwa and Sturridge out wide and on the retreat. Indeed, such is the emphasis we place on our full backs in the current system, Ash has to be rotated more with Bertrand on the other flank and by so doing we will get more out of both players. Strange though it may seem, in view of his recent goals, I’ve come to the conclusion that the same policy must apply to Frank, even though he insists that any lengthy period out of the first team damages his form - I think I might say that as well, in his position and at this stage of his career. My personal choice would be to play Mata deeper, although I’m sure many would prefer Meireles or a leap of faith with Josh, but freeing-up the attacking role allows final throws of the dice for Malouda and Kalou before the decision-making starts in earnest in January.

And now we move on to our real problem area, the forward line, where there has been a marked failure to convert chances for weeks on end and the principles behind pressing escapes everyone. Danny has a lot to learn on either count, but he clearly has the talent to improve and will do so, whereas Didier and Fernando have both been sent off for what can only be described as somewhat reckless practice of the art. To add to our woes, Anelka appears unable to grasp the concept at all, although in his defence and due to circumstance he has often been used as the sole attacker - just wish, before he goes, he could score one important goal when the pressure is on. That said, this failing at the sharp end of proceedings is becoming contagious, so much so that AVB has to be considering replacing Anelka with anything but a like-for-like talent. It is here, in the department that really matters, that the blue sky thoughts must flood the mind and I’ve got one that might even blow it for sheer audacity and the courting of controversy…

Nobody presses better up front than Carlos Tevez. Nobody, when on the pitch and contented, gives more than he does for 90 minutes non-stop. No team is better equipped than Chelsea to embrace his tarnished image, for no matter how we perform we are universally regarded as the pariah club in the Premiership and one more player joining the bad boys, funded by the rouble rather than the almighty dollar, will make little difference to a skewed Media perception that has existed since Roman’s arrival. At 27 years of age Tevez should be at the peak of his career, not embroiled in a running battle to play on a regular basis, and he would probably cost no more than Darren Bent. Also, a quick look at the zonal marking board, featured on another thread, only serves to highlight our attacking deficiencies as the Villas-Boas style is imprinted on our play and Tevez ticks boxes that at present only feature crosses for Malouda, Kalou, Anelka, even Didier, in the current campaign.

Of course, City would not want us to have him, just as they did not want us to have Luka Modric and were therefore more than happy to loan Adebayor to Spurs to alleviate any problems they might have had paying for the striker. Nevertheless, the Abu Dhabi boys are not stupid, they realise few clubs can pay Tevez’s wages and others, like Corinthians, will get nowhere near a realistic fee for a player of his talent. So you don’t want all the baggage? - then tell me who would be better or more proven in the Premiership than the little Argentinean. Remember, with Financial Fair Play about to hit the fan, the extent of City‘s loss on a Tevez transfer has much greater relevance than would otherwise have been the case. There could be a deal to be done. We should be the club that does it.

I'd take Rose West at the moment, if she was any good...

Hopefully City might take the view that no one is a threat to them at the moment so it doesn't matter if we get him (wishful thinking on my part I know)...I do seem to recall that he was quite vocal against John Terry during all the "Team Bridge" brouhaha, so that might raise a few issues...

.. with the notable exception of City who seem to have every base covered so many times over there is precious little margin for mediocrity, let alone mere lapse of form.

Don't worry Dorset, Fergie will be starting the mind games soon.

My personal choice would be to play Mata deeper ..

Can't agree with you here. Mata has started very well, and if it ain't broke ..

He's an attacker. Let him attack.

.. just wish, before he goes, he could score one important goal when the pressure is on.

You may be waiting in vain.

.. I’ve got one that might even blow it for sheer audacity and the courting of controversy…

Ho ho ho. I can't wait for this ..

Tevez.

I've looked on Google Maps and Surrey is definitely nearer to his kids.

Do you really want Kia Joorabchian at every game, mixing with Roman?

Careful what you wish for mate.

It was bad enough when Pini Zahavi was holding court ..

prefer to pretend that our club is not full of mercenary players (even if it is true) - tevez is very top class player, but everything else in the package is a problem - so NO for me

part of the problem is lack of consistent team selection (not all AVB caused) so players come in for a game and then gone again for a few games - especially the front 6 - they must be dizzy

rotation is bunkum.....................

Apparently Tevez's family is living in England now, so that whole chestnut is off the table.

I still think when playing to his potential only Didier and perhaps Rooney match him. As far as the pressing goes you're spot on Dorset, no striker works harder than him. I have always felt he should have been bought by us when West Ham got rid of him. Now of course he has had his problems, no doubt exacerbated by not playing this season. I'd still have him. He is a clutch player, a guy who wants the ball when the pressure is on, we don't have enough of those.

But we have Torres now, so we're just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. Unless of course they want to swap....

Also here is an interesting solution to the right back issue in January: Michael Essien. He lined up there in the arguably biggest match we've ever played, it's certainly one to consider.

Edited by Spiller86

Dorset, I admire that you have stood by Tevez for a long time, and you've touted him for a move to Chelsea since he was at West ham. If I remember correctly you also told us how valuable a certain Wayne Bridge would be for us while he was at Southampton, and he turned out alright; for a while.

Unfortunately, I think Tevez would be another "for a while" type of player. And to be honest, with as much turmoil as we seem to be in, and as much as the press appears to drag this club through the mud at any given opportunity, I am hesitant to add the Tevez fuel to the fire.

Thanks

Scott

Although I rate him as a player I don't wan't such an unprofessional and ungrateful piece of sh*t near this team. I know he would "heal" here and change his habits and all that, at first but it would end up like it has been at everywhere he has gone to. He gives idiotic comments, never learned the language and the amount of excuses he throws is just ludicrous. I know the media is the media but LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES YOU STUPID FOOTBALLER.

If we really want to think outside the box, how about a season out of the Champions League??

We are a team in transition, we need to get a new settled team, what better way than to have a season in the Europa League? Less pressure!

I don't think we need much addition to the squad RB and a second striker! What better way to blood them in the team without the pressure of CL and you never know we might win the Europa!!

Well I don't think I was offering him 250K a week. Were you Dorset? He wants to leave City which means he is willing to forgo those kind of wages. Personally if we trimmed Anelka and Malouda that'd just about pay for him. He'd be worth it as well, if you make him the main man he will give you his soul.

But Torres, sadly, is the main man here and as you say shedhead, it isn't going to happen.

No comment for Essien at RB? I think he'd do a stellar job there.

Edited by Spiller86

I dont think that AVB is willing to play players out of position. My reason for thinking this is Ivanovic has mainly played at CB instead of RB and Luiz hasnt been tried in different positions. The only player we have to has been slightly moved is Sturidge.

If we really want to think outside the box, how about a season out of the Champions League??

We are a team in transition, we need to get a new settled team, what better way than to have a season in the Europa League? Less pressure!

I don't think we need much addition to the squad RB and a second striker! What better way to blood them in the team without the pressure of CL and you never know we might win the Europa!!

It would severely damage our reputation and the Europa would be a waste of time for us. Our first team would be expected to destroy all-comers in there, which would ironically raise the pressure on them to perform. In the CL if we're knocked out, its going to be a top European side, and there is no shame in that.

As for Tevez, he's like a rot wherever he goes and we've already put our chips on Torres. Personally I'm happy about that decision now that its made.

Well I don't think I was offering him 250K a week. Were you Dorset?

Nowhere near, Spiller86, as lifelines come at a price and I’m sure Tevez fully appreciates the damage currently being done to his career and the financial crossroads now reached. However, in essence, we would be offering him much more than [unjustifiable] cash reward because his reputation, by virtue of his own vagaries and Kia Joorabchian’s influence, is in tatters and it can only be rejuvenated by performances on the pitch. He has always displayed undoubted individual ability, together with an unquenchable desire to work for the team and once he has family life stability as well you can only ever envisage a continuation, perhaps even an improvement, to the playing side of things. Should we provide him with a platform for his talents in those circumstances, is he really going to hit the self-destruct button for off-field reasons yet again? I don’t see it myself and if anybody does I’m open to a convincing argument as to why he should burn his boats for what would clearly be one last time.

It would probably be damaging for us as a club..personally I find the idea of a season in transition quite nice, the big problem is the owner would probably not accept it. We need the CL money more than ever with the financial fair play rules coming in...

Expectations are much higher surrounding us now...I'm sure many fans wouldn't find it an issue to spend a season flying under the radar, but it would not decrease the pressure on us from outsiders, far from it..

Edited by SHELLY

It would severely damage our reputation and the Europa would be a waste of time for us. Our first team would be expected to destroy all-comers in there, which would ironically raise the pressure on them to perform. In the CL if we're knocked out, its going to be a top European side, and there is no shame in that.

Is it damaging the Spuds??? I know they don't have the same reputation as us but its not doing them any harm and if they win it their reputation will be massively enhanced!

I'm not saying its what we want, but would it be such a bad thing.

Also on a side note: this Financial Fair Play thing will be a load of bollox it will be easy to side step through sponsorship! Whose to say that 1 of Romans companies won't be sponsoring the ground to the tune of £1b for the next 10 years?? See how easy that was!

Tevez and his 'team' are just a mobile transfer & agents fees circus, and we can well do without that.

It's fairly obvious (although the club had to back down) that he refused to play, why on earth would we want a c**t like that at our club.

Alan

43 goals in 65 matches is the first reason, also 18 assists.

Everyone seems to be predicating their thoughts on him not coming on in one game (if indeed that was what happened.) They seem to be forgetting that one of the big reasons that they were even at Bayern Munich in the first place was because of Tevez, because they wouldn't have been in the Champions League without him.

I don't think anyone would question his ability on a football pitch (I certainly wouldn't) but is the rest worth it is all i say?

And lets be realistic it's very unlikely that he will change (unlike Anelka) simply because of his management team, who incidently would be on a lot less wedge than they currently are at Mansh*tty.... So how long would they put up with that when/if he began playing well again?

All in my opinion of course, but for me just not worth the hassle, besides i hate the c**t for his part in the JT/w**kerbridge saga.

Alan

Nowhere near, Spiller86, as lifelines come at a price and I’m sure Tevez fully appreciates the damage currently being done to his career and the financial crossroads now reached. However, in essence, we would be offering him much more than [unjustifiable] cash reward because his reputation, by virtue of his own vagaries and Kia Joorabchian’s influence, is in tatters and it can only be rejuvenated by performances on the pitch. He has always displayed undoubted individual ability, together with an unquenchable desire to work for the team and once he has family life stability as well you can only ever envisage a continuation, perhaps even an improvement, to the playing side of things. Should we provide him with a platform for his talents in those circumstances, is he really going to hit the self-destruct button for off-field reasons yet again? I don’t see it myself and if anybody does I’m open to a convincing argument as to why he should burn his boats for what would clearly be one last time.

While the idea intrigues me, I find this question simple to answer..... Because people he keep burning boats rarely learn or care about the damage it causes so long as they keep finding a new boat to float on.

Why wouldnt he? He was a hero going on legend at City. Captained their first major trophy in ages. Took them to the CL with a golden boot tally. They paid him a kings ransom and made him hero, put up billboards in his name.

They gave him everything he could ask for, except a training ground in Argentina...... what could we give him to stay happy that Man City has not already? Would he make AVBs jobs easier or harder? He already ahs enough drama, do we want to bring in a figure who has a history of trouble with our always underfire captain? Dont forget there was no mild jibes between the two. Tevez clearly thought of JT as being guilty and said that if that had happened back home people would of been killed over it and left little to the imagination that he wasnt opposed to thinking that were JT to get killed over it, it would be fair game

Again, not saying I am 100% against it, love the idea of him as a player and think he would do great with us.... its just the thing about serial offenders is that they tend to re-offend more often than not.