Anelka and Alex

Andreas

I'll be sad to see them go, especially under acrimonious circumstances, as both Anelka and Alex have been a big part of our club for the past few seasons. That said, personnel changes do need to be made, and there are players we will miss far more than these two. Hopefully we will see a more dynamic, energetic centre back who is comfortable on the ball and some sort of Pedro-esque winger in to replace them.

On another note, if Anelka really is off to Anzhi... imagine a frontline of Zhirkov-Anelka-Eto'o. Scary stuff...

Confirmed on the BBC now.

I doubt we will have a replacement lined up for Anelka as I don't think we will be bringing in another striker in January.

Maybe for Alex as this puts us down to three centre halves with Ivan looking more and more likely to be a regular right back.

Well, Alex, they are both so far down on the pecking order, that it really does not matter if they leave.

I could see that with Anelka, but as our other three centre backs were on the pitch today i think a replacement centre back is a must.

Would also be good to see a top class winger come in to replace Anelka and move Mata in field but i think that would be asking too much really

Guys Alex is still the second best out and out defender we have at the club by some distance. He just doesn't fit the AVB bluepoint. He'll go to Juve or wherever and be fantastic in a deep defence. Only behind JT, Desailly and Carvalho as far as defenders go this millennium. More solid than Gallas in my view.

Also Cahill off against Spurs. Not a great year for him so far, though the red was harsh.

Edited by Spiller86

Guys Alex is still the second best out and out defender we have at the club by some distance. He just doesn't fit the AVB bluepoint. He'll go to Juve or wherever and be fantastic in a deep defence. Only behind JT, Desailly and Carvalho as far as defenders go this millennium. More solid than Gallas in my view.

Also Cahill off against Spurs. Not a great year for him so far, though the red was harsh.

Can't agree with you on putting Alex ahead of Gallas. Things went downhill for Gallas after he left us but his performances for Chelsea put him right up there with the other three you mentioned. In fact for a long time he was better than Carvalho and the perfect partner for JT in the centre.

I will be sad to see them both depart, and will remember them fondly.

That said, Anelka is getting on, and coming into the last few months of his contract (and it was unlikely he'd ever renew). He may have had some average moments here, but mostly he's been really dependable. Had some great times.

Alex is an excellent defender, but he doesn't have the pace for AVB's system. But he's been a great player for us when called upon...and his freekicks are out of this world.

Love both these guys, and hope they continue their excellent careers.

If we are shopping for an attacker, I'd prefer one that isn't cup-tied and won't cost us Torres-like money. If we're going to go after people like Cavani, Hazard, etc. I would wait until the summer. Jovetic, if healthy, would be one of my suggestions.

Alex didn't look great the other night, so perhaps his mind is elsewhere!

As for Anelka, I thought in the summer we should of made him an offer to terminate his contract early as it was obvious he wanted to go, but who would really pay for him at his age?

Alex didn't look great the other night, so perhaps his mind is elsewhere!

As for Anelka, I thought in the summer we should of made him an offer to terminate his contract early as it was obvious he wanted to go, but who would really pay for him at his age?

The MLS might. A lot has been touted that Anelka will join Henry in New York, but the MLS just added a Montreal team for next year. Signing a famous French striker for a city that speaks a lot of French sounds like a great way to fill up the stands IMO.

It is crazy to let Alex go one of the worlds best young defenders just a year ago.... Good win today AVB but sort this one out, I can think of a few of our closest rivals will bite our hand off, two from north London for a start.

(null)

It is crazy to let Alex go one of the worlds best young defenders just a year ago.... Good win today AVB but sort this one out, I can think of a few of our closest rivals will bite our hand off, two from north London for a start.

(null)

he is a 30 this year...

Alex has never really looked the part in a Chelsea shirt, when Riccy left he should of stamped his authority all over the defence but it didn't happen!

He's been a good servant for us but I'm not overly upset that he is leaving!

I really hope that we've lined up Cahil, I've followed him for a couple of years now and I really think he could be a good player for us, ignore his season with Bolton he's playing in a terrible team!