Penalty taker

Uno

After Frank missed his penalty the other day it got me thinking who else on the pitch at that moment could you see as a future penalty taker? By the way this isnt a thread to slag of Frank or anything.

Recently we have seen Luiz, Anelka and Frank all miss penaltys. Now with this and thinking more towards the future ie a future without Frank in the starting line up every week and Drogba no longer at the club who would be your choice to step up each time?

I think it is harder than it first seems to choose because you have to pick someone that plays most games because of course they have to be on the pitch when we get a pen.

Penalties have been such a sure thing for us over the past 5 or so years. Frank and Ballack just didn't miss. That penalty of Frank's against Liverpool, remains my favourite moment as a supporter of this club. I've never been prouder of a Chelsea player, night before his mum's funeral, one of the biggest moments in the clubs history, and with Ballack the ice king next to him. it took balls to step up and convert that.

Recently however Frank's taking isn't quite what it was, I think partly because he takes so many that surely someone has worked out a pattern to them by now. Or at least a reasonable probability of where they are going.

The next best taker at the club in my view is Kalou. For a guy who is such a terrible finisher he is lethal from the spot. But given he won't be here much longer Mata isn't a bad shout.

Edited by Spiller86

Penalties have been such a sure thing for us over the past 5 or so years. Frank and Ballack just didn't miss. That penalty of Frank's against Liverpool, remains my favourite moment as a supporter of this club. I've never been prouder of a Chelsea player, night before his mum's funeral, one of the biggest moments in the clubs history, and with Ballack the ice king next to him. it took balls to step up and convert that.

Recently however Frank's taking isn't quite what it was, I think partly because he takes so many that surely someone has worked out a pattern to them by now. Or at least a reasonable probability of where they are going.

The next best taker at the club in my view is Kalou. For a guy who is such a terrible finisher he is lethal from the spot. But given he won't be here much longer Mata isn't a bad shout.

That was RAW! Hairs tingle when watching that back.

Legend.

I'd still let Frank hit them, but if he's not playing then someone like Meireles or Sturridge.

Penalties should be driven in low and hard, I hate seeing penalties taken with sideways passes, they should be absolutely hammered in.

Edited by Zola

It is a tough one as there aren't any players now who stand out as a reliable penalty taker. As shed pensioner says, penalty taking laregly comes down to mental attitude rather than just someone who strikes a ball well. That is why Lamps has been so good and the Germans are so bloody good too.

But Lamps has now missed too many, both for us and for England. We can be flippant about the one on Saturday as we won 3-0 but what if we get one against Man City or Sp*rs in the upcoming games or worse still, tonight at 1-1 as we go into injury time?!!

Kalou has been good, but you don't want him in the side just on the basis we might get a penalty!

When it comes to mental toughness, no-one would be better than JT. I know we all remember THAT penalty but other than that, I can't recall him missing?

It is a tough one as there aren't any players now who stand out as a reliable penalty taker. As shed pensioner says, penalty taking laregly comes down to mental attitude rather than just someone who strikes a ball well. That is why Lamps has been so good and the Germans are so bloody good too.

But Lamps has now missed too many, both for us and for England. We can be flippant about the one on Saturday as we won 3-0 but what if we get one against Man City or Sp*rs in the upcoming games or worse still, tonight at 1-1 as we go into injury time?!!

Kalou has been good, but you don't want him in the side just on the basis we might get a penalty!

When it comes to mental toughness, no-one would be better than JT. I know we all remember THAT penalty but other than that, I can't recall him missing?

Other than that, I can't remember him taking one...

Took one against Fulham recently if I remember correctly.

Also to be fair, Lamps has missed 4 in the Premier League from nearly 50 he has taken. I'd still back him in anyday of the week.

Yeah, but the misses are all in recent times and once the doubt creeps in you've had it. I always used to be confident when Lamps stepped up to take one but now you wouldn't put money on him tucking them away.

Anyway, now he's no longer a guaranteed 90 minute player, you really need to try and ensure your designated penalty taker is on the pitch at any point during the game.

Cech?!!! :smile:

I used to love watching the replay of that on Chelsea TV to get the Cundy commentry that complemented it so well.

One of the finest European nights in the clubs history in my opinion....

I used to love watching the replay of that on Chelsea TV to get the Cundy commentry that complemented it so well.

One of the finest European nights in the clubs history in my opinion....

Yep one of Franks finest penalty taking hours....another brilliant time was at Upton Park when the ref made Frank retake a penalty twice...so he scored 3 times from the penalty spot (shame it only counted once) he must have had nerves of steel to take 3 penalties in front of the West Ham neanderthals and score them all....

My first thought -- if Frank and Drogba were not on the field -- is Mata.

Never actually seen him take one, so I have no idea how he'd do. But he just strikes me as the type of player with the calm nerves to handle it, and enough accuracy to put it where it needs to be.

Maybe he isnt very good at them? cant handle the pressure maybe. It seems some players love it and run to grab the ball while others shrink away and dont want the chance.

Hope you're wrong about that!,if that were the case,it's not excactly encouraging is it?.

Might be a sign about what's the root cause of his lack of form.