What Defines a Legend!

shedpensioner

We keep on mentioning the term 'Legend' when mentioning players.

So I would be keen to know how others define a Legend for us.

Is it that they played in a successful team or that they performed above par in an average team?

Did they do something outstanding?

Were they a cult hero?

Was it due to length of service?

I'd like to hear everyone elses views!

Tenure, were they part of our youth team, success relative to the clubs success during their time here. Did they show passion for the club and connect with the fans while they were here?

Some of these are more important than others, but that's where I would start

For me it has less to do with ability and more to do with attitude over their time with the club and, most importantly, a bit of good old fashioned commitment to the cause. Granted a degree of ability is normally required but it isn' the predominant factor.

Finest example for me is Erland Johnsen - not the greatest defender we ever had but definitely a legend in my eyes.

I agree, the best players dont automatically become club legends (though it helps if they are good). I loved players like Steve Clarke, John Bumstead, Micky Droy etc (anyone see a link here). Not the best players we have ever had and not names that people would think of first when thinking of Chelsea legends, but certainly players that gave their all for the cause and were just something special for one reason or another.

Zola will always be a legend, and even the older fans will speak of him in the same breath as GOD!

I also agree with what most say, it doesn't have to be a great player or even a player in a great team, its just something that can't be defined, its just something we love about that player!

1. A legend almost always will have played for us for a 10 year period or very close to. Its hard to think of someones Chelsea career as legendary when it lasts for just a few seasons. So, tenure is for me an important component.

2. Really related to the above is loyalty. Whilst players like Speedie, Walker, Spackman and Dorigo had great careers for us when push came to shove they jumped like rats from a sinking ship when it suited them. I don't rate any of the above as Chelsea legends for their lack of club loyalty. In Poyet and Duries case by joining Spurs they will never be regarded as anything other than Judas'.

3. Quality of player. Chelsea fans like all fans really appreciate 2 things in a footballer: skill and effort. Players like Zola had skill in abundance whereas Bumstead was more of a trier and gave 100% commitment to the Chelsea cause, both equally admirable traits.

So, to summarize these are my criteria:

Length of service, loyalty, and quality of play.

These are my legends from my time following Chelsea:

John Bumstead

Kerry Dixon

Steve Clarke

Dennis Wise

Gianfranco Zola

JT

Frank Lampard.

Others I regard as cult heroes would be: Pat Nevin, Dan Petrescu, Luca Vialli and Joey Jones (there are others, these are a small sample). I would stop short of calling them legends though simply because they werent here long enough.

My 3 tiered system is thus:

1. Legends = Great play + length of service + loyalty.

2. Cult heroes = Great play + loyalty (didnt leave club with bad blood).

3. Player = anyone who played for Chelsea.

Ive given this a lot of thought in the past Id be interested to know what people think of my criteria.

Just realised I didn't put my list on my post.

I am not going to go right back to the 50s and 60s as I wasn't alive then so am going to limit it to players from mid 70s onwards (either starting or mid career). With that in mind for me it would be:

Kerry Dixon

Peter Bonetti

Steve Clarke

Charlie Cooke

Micky Droy

John Bumstead

Ron Harris

Ian Hutchinson

Erland Johnsen

Peter Osgood (maybe cheating a little there as I am using his brief return as making him meet my criteria!)

Dennis Wise

Gianfranco Zola

John Terry

Frank Lampard

A player can also become a legend by doing something special in a BIG game.

If Kalou scores the only goal (an overhead kick) in The Champions League Final then he would have to be classed as a legend.

Or is that pushing it to far.

I think you know the answer to that MB!

Don't woryy though - Sturridge WILL become a Legend. :wink:

For me legends are few and far between. There are great players we've had, the likes of Wise, DI Matteo, Le Saux, Hasselbaink, Robben, Cech, Drogba, etc...

But for me the only players in recent years I'd add to the legend list would be:

Lampard

Terry

Zola

But it's quite a personal thing really, who you in particular define as a legend.

My story with Chelsea started with Gullit so I can only mention players after that time.

Definite ones:

Wise

Zola

Terry

Lampard

When Drogba finishes his career with us I think he is entitled to that honor. He was a key part of our double winning squad and with his goals in all the finals he's scored he needs to be up there. I know his antics and diving puts off many people but when he is on he is one player who is completely unplayable and that is not common in any club(can be compared with C.Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane).

Cech will be there as well. Such a lovable guy and one of the best in business. Great ambassador for football and this club. Humble man. Just like Zola was.

A player can also become a legend by doing something special in a BIG game.

If Kalou scores the only goal (an overhead kick) in The Champions League Final then he would have to be classed as a legend.

Or is that pushing it to far.

Wayne Bridge produced one of our most special moments in the past decade and nobody thinks he's a legend. Joe Cole scored brilliant goals in two different title showdowns with Man U, but he didn't make any of the lists in this thread. Doing something special helps, but longevity and the right attitude are a lot more important.

My list, starting in '94 when I became a fan:

Wise

Zola

Di Matteo

Terry

Lampard

possibly Cech & Drogba depending on how their careers here finish.

If there's one moment in recent Chelsea history conferring instant legend status, it would be Di Matteo's '97 Cup Final goal. Add in the 2000 winner, good professional service til injury ended his career, and a return on the coaching staff and I think he qualifies.

On the short term I will always look at the key members of the dynasty of the noughties that won all those championships. I would throw in Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Ballack, Essien, Cech, and Carvalho as people I would all put as legendary in terms of being part of a team that was so successful. I look forward to what the next dynastic element might be. This of course is different then looking at an individual perspective but just as relevant I would say.

everyone throws around, Drogba, and legend together. Sounds silly but i don't class him as a legend. i love him and everything hes done for the club, but i just can't even think about having him (and some other players) on the same list as zola.

in this squad its only terry and lampard for me.

everyone throws around, Drogba, and legend together. Sounds silly but i don't class him as a legend. i love him and everything hes done for the club, but i just can't even think about having him (and some other players) on the same list as zola.

Drogs has blown too hot and cold to be considered a bona fide legend in my eyes.

Dont get me wrong he has been unstoppable when on song but theres been times when Ive qurstioned his commitment. A true CFC legend you would never question if they were giving 100%. I never felt like Wisey Lampard, Steve Clarke didnt fancy it, yhey were 100 percenters ALL THE TIME.

It is wierd - you try and define who is a legend, and what makes a legend, and it is impossible. If I pick Franco because his off the field demeanor was exemplary and on the field performances were joyous, then how can't Drogba, with his social achievements for the Ivory Coast and his goals for us.

For me, the only player I can say that I undoubtedly class as a legend is Gianfranco. There is just something about him that I've never witnessed with another player (bare in mind I'm way too young to have had the privilege of watching The King, other than in highlights). Zola was the epitome of class on, and off the field, a hugely talented individual and just defines everything that is great about football and Chelsea. The guy just had 'it'.

For me Frankie comes very close to Zola, but here is just something that stops him being on the same pedestal for me.

I think that the term legend is thrown around a little too easily. JT is a great captain and a brilliant servant to the club, Frank has been a superbly consistent player and wore his heart on his sleeve (the clubs reaction to his mother's passing still puts chills down my neck), Wisey was an absolute terrier, a hilarious wind up merchant and responated with so many fans, but as far as being legends go, but they aren't quite there, for me.

From talking to other fans about what people they class as the heroes who define Chelsea - the only people off the top of my head that I can think of that I would say are consensus are Ossie and Franco. To be honest, I would probably add Matthew Harding to that list, if we're accepting non-playing figures. I've talked with more than a couple of folks who have the same wistful smile when recalling stories of these 3.

Cech, Lampard, JT and Drogba are the icons of Roman era Chelsea. Drogba's been absolutely massive in this time we have won 3 prem titles, 3 FA cups and 2 league cups. If someone doesn't call all these legends now, they will after they are not playing for us anymore. Drogba's been a massive ambassador for Chelsea and football in africa and if you have read what he is done there you might feel proud that this kind of man is playing for Chelsea.

I don't understand this "you have to give 100% all the time" theory. It is not like a regular working man gives a 100% all the time for his company cause I sense a little bit of that blue collar theme here, am I right. If Drogba gives 100% when it is absolutely needed, which is usually more than enough for us to win, I grant him 95% days. He is a bit of an artist but usually genius/special players are. He is a winner what probably tells you why he can always be trusted in massive games. Couldn't find his finals scoring rate but it is admirable. There are lot of 100% all the time guys but only a handful of magical players.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can define legend how you want and that was probably the idea of this thread =). Sorry if someone is offended by my opinions.

It is wierd - you try and define who is a legend, and what makes a legend, and it is impossible. If I pick Franco because his off the field demeanor was exemplary and on the field performances were joyous, then how can't Drogba, with his social achievements for the Ivory Coast and his goals for us.

For me, the only player I can say that I undoubtedly class as a legend is Gianfranco. There is just something about him that I've never witnessed with another player (bare in mind I'm way too young to have had the privilege of watching The King, other than in highlights). Zola was the epitome of class on, and off the field, a hugely talented individual and just defines everything that is great about football and Chelsea. The guy just had 'it'.

For me Frankie comes very close to Zola, but here is just something that stops him being on the same pedestal for me.

I think that the term legend is thrown around a little too easily. JT is a great captain and a brilliant servant to the club, Frank has been a superbly consistent player and wore his heart on his sleeve (the clubs reaction to his mother's passing still puts chills down my neck), Wisey was an absolute terrier, a hilarious wind up merchant and responated with so many fans, but as far as being legends go, but they aren't quite there, for me.

From talking to other fans about what people they class as the heroes who define Chelsea - the only people off the top of my head that I can think of that I would say are consensus are Ossie and Franco. To be honest, I would probably add Matthew Harding to that list, if we're accepting non-playing figures. I've talked with more than a couple of folks who have the same wistful smile when recalling stories of these 3.

Everyone has their own idea of what a legend is, I think you should rethink saying Lampard isnt, consider:

Most prolific midfield goalscorer ever for Chelsea, ONLY player to win player of the year 3 times, top 10 in appearances, scored goals v Bolton that won us the league, scored in CL Final, played here 10+ years.

He kisses the badge a lot and thats not to be fake, he really loves this club. Truth be told ive followed chelsea since the late 70s and lamps is the best player ive seen in a chelsea shirt.