Barca 'list' David Villa

Zola

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/126189.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Chelsea & Liverpool hover as Barca 'list' David Villa

17522.2.jpg

David Villa has been linked to Chelsea, Liverpool and Aston Villa © Getty Images

David Villa has been tipped for a move to Chelsea or Liverpool after the lead story of Spanish publication Marca claimed Barcelona have put the striker up for sale on Wednesday.

Villa has fallen out of favour at Camp Nou, losing his place in the side for the recent Clasico against Real Madrid just weeks after reports of a fallout with Lionel Messi. Now it seems the European champions are ready to cut their losses on the man for whom they paid €40 million two years ago.

Marca leads with the headline "Barca open the door to Villa", before stating, "the Catalan club has put on the market the striker." The publication goes on to say Villa plans to move in the summer, but both Chelsea and Liverpool have pressing concerns to boost their attacking options.

Chelsea are set to lose Didier Drogba to the African Cup of Nations, and £50 million man Fernando Torres cannot even get a first-team start. Indeed, a report in Wednesday's British papers claims Chelsea will try to offload the Spaniard for £20 million during the January window.

Liverpool have been linked with Villa for a while and are desperately in need of a partner for Luis Suarez. The £35 million acquisition of Andy Carroll, which ironically came as a result of the Torres deal, is simply not working out for the Anfield club.

Marca claims Villa's fate "seems to be one of the great English clubs, mainly Chelsea, Liverpool and Aston Villa. The Anfield club have shown much interest in his move, although its economic offer does not seem to [match] Chelsea."

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish refused to rule out the possibility of signing a striker on Tuesday, commenting: "Irrespective of what I say, it's not going to stop speculation we are going out in January to sign Joe Bloggs up front, or whoever. I don't need to say anything."

My first thought was that it could be worth a try if he would be cheap, but do we really need him? I can't see what he can offer us that we don't already have. He's no Drogba, nor a Sturridge or Mata. He's closest to Torres, but at the moment doesn't really feel like a bigger threat up front. Read somewhere he's got 5 goals in 15 games and has 35 shots, which is hardly impressive.

Besides, he's never played in England so that could be a problem as well.

And he's not getting any younger. Don't want another Sheva incident.

He could do well, but it's too much of a gamble. Not worth wasting money on him. Better to stick with Torres - whom I think will score some goals for us - and spend the money on someone else who is younger and can improve us in other fields of the team.

Pep says no

The Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has dismissed Spanish media reports linking David Villa with a move away from the club in the January transfer window.

The sports newspaper Marca reported that the striker is preparing to move on from Barca only 19 months into the four-year deal agreed following his €40m transfer from Valencia.

The speculation over the Spain international's future appears to have arisen from Guardiola's decision to omit the forward from his starting lineup for Saturday's 3-1 victory in the Clásico against Real Madrid.

Marca said Villa has been made available for transfer and had already been touted to "the great English clubs, mainly Chelsea, Liverpool and Aston Villa", but Guardiola insists the speculation is nonsense.

Speaking to reporters in Japan ahead of Barcelona's Fifa Club World Cup game against Al-Sadd, Guardiola said: "Marca lie. I have not spoken to David after the last match in Madrid, but all of the players are in my plans.

"I am the one who comes up with 25 different lineups during the season because I feel that is the best thing to do. Most of the players that are here now will continue for the rest of this season and the next."

Villa has scored five times in 15 league appearances this season, following his 18 goals in 34 games as Barca won the Primera Division title last season. The 30-year-old has made 75 appearances for the club in all competitions, scoring 32 goals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/14/david-villa-chelsea-barcelona-guardiola?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

Unless you believe the rumours that we're swapping for Villa or getting rid of Torres for £20 million in the upcoming window.

This after the club have already come out publicly and said that Torres is part of our long-term planning and the "up for sale" story is total bullsh*t??????

I dont believe a word of this. Villa has had a falling out with Messi? Villa is the most inoffensive character you can imagine off the pitch.

I would say this is marca stirring sh*t for Madrid. He hasnt been featured in recent weeks. They shouldve gone with the "Pep hates him" angle.

I personally don't think we'll be that busy in January, why should we sign a striker when we have Drogba/Torres/Lukaku? why should we sign a right winger when Sturridge is playing so well and the same for Mata. There is no reason to sign anyone up top unless we sell Malouda and I don't see us doing that.

The only position i see us going for is maybe a right back, with Alex looking like he's going to leave we should act as Ivanovic as his natural replacement and go for a better fullback than Bosingwa in my opinion. No idea who though.

Signing David Villa will be another silly signing, sure he's quality but signing a 30 year old which will be most likely a long term contract is something we don't need and especially the high wages he would want. We should of signed him years ago.

I think we'll see us spending big in the summer and not January when more options become available. Last time I said that though we spent 75 million on 2 players.

Edited by Sheva