Adidas drop liverpool

Ballack & Blu

In April New Balance and the Boston Red Sox announced a major deal. So it makes sense that Liverpool's owners have forged a new equipment deal with a subsidiary of New Balance.

Has anyone ever heard of Warrior Sports? Nor me. That's probably the point. This is their big step into a larger market, perhaps, using the resources of the big parent company. £25 million per season starting next season.

John Henry may be a clod when it comes to race and public relations. But he seems to be a good businessman.

In April New Balance and the Boston Red Sox announced a major deal. So it makes sense that Liverpool's owners have forged a new equipment deal with a subsidiary of New Balance.

Has anyone ever heard of Warrior Sports? Nor me. That's probably the point. This is their big step into a larger market, perhaps, using the resources of the big parent company. £25 million per season starting next season.

John Henry may be a clod when it comes to race and public relations. But he seems to be a good businessman.

That is true. But I think this deal is really indicative of just the opposite.

The only place I have ever seen warrior gear sold in North America is in specific sports shops that cater to lacrosse. That is what they are known for and, while youre right that they may have all the resources of new balance (which is a company whose advertising is on par with the likes of KSwiss, Asics, or others who have a very niche following in the sport world....popular with runners but thats about it) and now they have a big name team to go with it.

But this deal reminds me a lot of the deals you sign as a chairman in those games like Football Manager/Championship manager. You can have a lot of dough up front, or less dough up front and get a tidy sum for every game you win.

I am not a marketing person, but this looks like a backwards step to me. Liverpool have a few fading stars, Andy Carroll, and Luis Earl Ray Suarez. Hardly the kind of portfolio of players that will generate interest around the world. If it were Man City or Real Madrid doing this deal, I would think they have the momentum to make the brand a household name.

Liverpool are going to this new company for alot of cash up front, but they will lose out on a lot of revenue in terms of shirt sales and exposure. Nike, Adidas, and Puma are household names around the world. All of these companies have slick marketing and a lot of big players who advertise for them. Losing that kind of exposure is going to hurt liverpool in the long run. And the club are not getting better on the pitch, far from it.

John Henry and his Fenway Sports people are very smart. But I dont think that doing this two-for-one package deal with their two clubs is wise at all. Different markets. Different athletic legacies for these companies in each region.

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

Sounds to me like a scam to get round FFP.

This may have benefit for us however, as it may strengthen our bargaining position, as Adidas won't want to lose us, as we are the only big club they currently have in England, from next season onwards.

They have Real, Bayern, Argentina, Chelsea .. How many more?

Sounds to me like a scam to get round FFP.

This may have benefit for us however, as it may strengthen our bargaining position, as Adidas won't want to lose us, as we are the only big club they currently have in England, from next season onwards.

They have Real, Bayern, Argentina, Chelsea .. How many more?

They have Germany and Spain also. I know they bring in some good coin all around.

I agree, it sounds like a way to help with the FFP.

They have Germany and Spain also. I know they bring in some good coin all around.

I agree, it sounds like a way to help with the FFP.

Germany, Spain, Argentina .. That's pretty healthy in regard international teams .. 3 of the best there.

Surprised they don't have many more top clubs.

Germany, Spain, Argentina .. That's pretty healthy in regard international teams .. 3 of the best there.

Surprised they don't have many more top clubs.

What I've noticed with Adidas is that they are going for bulk versus just the top clubs.

They have the entire MLS, and when you start looking at the "mid-level" clubs you'll see a lot of Adidas worn kits.

I dont think its a scam, Davey. I think its Henry saying to New Balance "if you want to keep the Red Sox, youre gonna take Liverpool too". RIght now, Liverpool are going the way of Newcastle a few years ago. Since they have dropped out of the big time games they are just not going to have Nike, Adidas, and Puma fighting over the right to sign them.

If I am not misken, we are getting about 20 million a year from Adidas, and almost the same amount from Samsung. But to those companies that is worth it while we are still a club fighting in Europe's biggest games every year.

Re: Adidas sponsorships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships#Association_Football

After Liverpool go, we will be the only top flight English team wearing Adidas. But in France and Germany, they have Mareseilles, Lyon, Leverkusen, Munich, Hamburg, Shalke. They seem to have a smaller stable of clients than Nike, but big ones none the less.

Our 100 years Umbro top is still my favourite

Agreed. That kit was timeless.

They may be under the thumb of Nike now, but Umbro's kit patterns are still the best of the major companies...by a wide distance. They create shirts that, branding aside, could be 50 years old. And their new stuff for the New York Cosmos is brilliant, modern but evocative of this 70s style all at once.

But sadly the whole thing is bunk anyway. Nike, Adidas, or whoever trot out 3 kits (most of them ass ugly hideous creations) every year that have been made by some poor children in North Africa or Southeast Asia, and then have the nerve to gut fans to the tune of 75 dollars US for each one.

If I knew the kit was 100 bucks, but it was made down the road, or in a factory where people were adults and earned a fair wage, I would buy it. As it stands, I am not going to be robbed blind so those boardroom gimps can turn 5000% profit on each one.

Plus the Europa League, couple of FA Cups, Super Cups and shields etc....

I sometimes wish we could go back to Umbro.

We have still achieved more in the past 8 years than they have in the last 20+

After realizing that Man Utd get 23.5m a year from Nike, and now Liverpool are getting 25m, its kind of hard not to think this deal was purely to get one over their rivals. Of course, now it means that Man Utd will probably be able to renegociate their deal to something like 40m

And Adidas just confirm what everyone else knows here: http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7441620/Adidas-End-Liverpool-Deal-Over-On-Pitch-Results

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

As much as I despise Liverpool, this isn't a case of Adidas "dropping" them because they don't win enough anymore. The Warrior kit deal is big money, and Adidas was wise not to try to beat that amount.

Also, trophies or not, I believe Liverpool are still among the top 4 clubs in terms of most shirts sold worldwide, so whoever sponsors them is going to sell a ton of replicas. £25m is probably too much (and yes, maybe it's a bit of a shady deal to get around FFP -- though Liverpool use worry about actually qualifying for Europe moreso than concerning themselves with making sure they're eligible).

Deal makes sense to me though. Liverpool get more money than they're getting currently, and Warrior goes from a mostly unknown brand to being associated with one of the biggest sports names in the world. I get it.

Also, trophies or not, I believe Liverpool are still among the top 4 clubs in terms of most shirts sold worldwide, so whoever sponsors them is going to sell a ton of replicas.

Deal makes sense to me though. Liverpool get more money than they're getting currently, and Warrior goes from a mostly unknown brand to being associated with one of the biggest sports names in the world. I get it.

Yes and yes.