Raul Meireles

darren2607

Just wondering what people's perception of Raul Meireles has been. A couple of goals, a few assists to his name but fairly unspectacular so far.

Personally, I've been a little disappointed, he hasn't been splitting defences with his passes and getting people in behind. Still think we need a more creative player to sit alongside Ramires/Essien. Maybe Josh will be up to the task next season or maybe we'll go back in for Modric (still no new contract)

Just wondering what people's perception of Raul Meireles has been. A couple of goals, a few assists to his name but fairly unspectacular so far.

Personally, I've been a little disappointed, he hasn't been splitting defences with his passes and getting people in behind. Still think we need a more creative player to sit alongside Ramires/Essien. Maybe Josh will be up to the task next season or maybe we'll go back in for Modric (still no new contract)

There's your problem, he hasn't done that in years so your expectations were a bit misguided. I have no problem with his signing, I think he's a fantastic DM and average CM. However, I said at the time Chelsea would be better off getting Guarin and/or Belluschi, both who weren't getting games (which is just crazy management) and wanted to leave.

There's your problem, he hasn't done that in years so your expectations were a bit misguided. I have no problem with his signing, I think he's a fantastic DM and average CM. However, I said at the time Chelsea would be better off getting Guarin and/or Belluschi, both who weren't getting games (which is just crazy management) and wanted to leave.

how is he a fantastic DM when he shies away from tackles?

Edited by Lane

I think he started the season with us on fire, he was fantastic. Alot of people who only watch Chelsea on TV were saying he doesnt do much but i really thought he was a fantastic buy HOWEVER the last month/6 weeks he has been poor but so have the whole team.

I dont think he deserves some of the abuse that people give him on here but he has been under performing recently.

Has he scored a goal?

He's been sh*t, at best he keeps up with play & makes the odd good tackle, but he can't pass, never scores goals like he was for the murderers & looks like a c**t with that barnet.

I think he started the season with us on fire, he was fantastic. Alot of people who only watch Chelsea on TV were saying he doesnt do much but i really thought he was a fantastic buy HOWEVER the last month/6 weeks he has been poor but so have the whole team.

I dont think he deserves some of the abuse that people give him on here but he has been under performing recently.

Sorry for me he started average at best & I go to games. Did ok vs Citeh & Valencia but so average. To think Parker is a year older & cost half the price.

Hes average man , He was always going to be an average player when we signed him as well

And trying to replace lampard is no easy task

But his passing is poor , he tries to pass quickly and get on with the game with his flicks , etc , but i dont really think hes that great , But hes ours , and i think we should support him rather than flame him

He's a squad player. That's why he was bought and when AVB finishes with the roster that's what he'll become.

He's playing a lot right now out of necessity, not because anyone rates him.

His trengths are his mobility and his work rate. His weaknesses are his passing, which is truly dreadful right now, and his shooting (a nice goal nothwithstanding.)

No need to hate him. Just realize what his role is and how he's being asked to do more than he's capable of right now, because the team is in transition and has injuries.

His weaknesses are his passing, which is truly dreadful right now, and his shooting.

Its strange but whenever I've watched him before, including at Liverpool, his passing seemed to be quite good and his shooting a strength. Whatever be the reason for him being awful in that regard lately, I'm expecting better rather than settling.

I'd say he should be judged when hes played half a season in a team thats all playing reasonably well...its hard to judge with a lot of our squad who is a good player out of form, a good player that has been caught by age, a good player lacking motivation, a good player playing in a system that doesn't suit him or an avererage player still with any of those circumstances or even a bad player.

I can't believe how many players are being slated this season I think we can start at LB (Bos) then we've had the mistakes of Luiz who's popularity is up and down like the proverbial whores Knickers, Cole (worst season for us, Mikel "sideways passing, slow whatever" Miereles "can't pass" Lampard "too slow" Malouda "Crap and won't pass to Torres" Drogba "too old, too greedy with the free kicks"

Kalou "sh*t" Sturridge once flavour of the month is even starting to find a bit of critisism , and so on...

Looking at these players and a lot of the posts on here its a wonder we are not in a relegation scrap,

Lets get the players all available when we have Drogba and Kalou back with a fit Essien and see how the rest of the seaon pans out before we right of some of these players.

how is he a fantastic DM when he shies away from tackles?

Yes there are times when he doesn't put his foot in (Although the last time he played DM he ended up with the most tackles and won most of them) but I would rather he didn't go diving in like Alex Song does. He doesn't need to, his positioning allows him to get away with not putting a tackling in everytime. He's always more than happy to get stuck in when he's playing for Portugal so there must be a reason why he doesn't do it as often for Chelsea, perhaps it's something he's been told to cut back on, who knows.

Also his long ranged passing is extremely underrated, with him playing DM it would be utilised a lot more.

hes a squad player and i think hes done well considering he didnt really get a chance at liverpool , he was never made out to be a world class player etc in the first place, so i dunno why people are complaining with what hes done so far, its much more than some players have done.

Edited by Chelsea100%Carefree

He's not been great but surely he's only a part of the problem as others have stated. If it is true that he was brought in only with the intention of him being a squad player, we might have hoped for a bit of a younger player with a tad more upside. He's nearing 30 and really hasn't shown much in the final third. Seems quite ambitious at times though his chances are rarely on target and his defensive prowess leaves much to be desired.

It would seem that if we didn't find ourselves in an absolute fight to remain in the Champions League next year, some of the youngsters might get a crack and AVB might be a bit more comfortable with some experimentation and/or trial by fire with regards to the likes of Lukaku, Piazon, Bertrand, and McEachran (had he not gone on loan). All said, Romeo has been a surprise for everyone and has virtually done all can be expected of him, so who knows...

I've not seen Lucas Piazon play much, when does any one think he'll get some time? Not necessarily suggesting he should come on in place of Raul, just curious with regards to some more informed opinions.

Sorry for a bit of a rant and scattered thoughts, first post, but glad to be here (from the US).

So the consensus seems to be that Meireles is just a squad player, which is fine with me. Who would your first choice midfield 2 (assuming Romeu plays DMC) be then? I can't see AVB going with Ramires and Essien, we'd need a bit of guile alongside the energy of one of them.