Drogba and Torres

smileysmiles

We have been to this situation before when we had problems playing Drogba/Anelka together. Obviously Anelka didn't have that much troubles finding the net as a striker. Hiddink and then Carlo worked out a system to let them play together. Not sure if they are both happy about it, at they did a good job together for a couple of years.

How often have we heard "they can't play together"? Anelka couldn't play with Drogba, but somehow did and did it well. Now Torres can't play with Drogba, but today they looked quite good together.

The only downside to playing them together (atleast try it) is that when we need to make a substitution it's either Kalou or Lukaku who will come on and that might not be great. On the other hand, maybe it's time they got a chance as well. Kalou can still score some goals and Lukaku really do need to get more opportunities. He's got potential so why not give him a chance to evolve?

That was his value tonight. Napoli are vulnerable to the cross and Studge doesn't do crosses. Torres does them very well.

yes, but id have him as a starting winger from now on. i think he offers a lot more than sturridge on the wing

Thought Torres was really good when he came on, we have to start him and Drog against Leicester hopefully will score a few.

Don't think the drog will start against leicester, after his beasty performance last night he will be incredibly tired. The city game may be a chance to try it because we have nothing to lose in that game. I think they proved last night it can work!

I think it would be a bit hard on Sturridge to start Drogba and Torres to be honest, Sturridge has gone off the boil a bit in the last few games but he has still been lively and given the opposition plenty of headaches, he always gets ashot off and although greedy soometimes he has started tracking back more, I don't think dropping him will be good for him and although Torres works hard and does show signs of being able to play up front with Drogba, has not done enough to get on the teamsheet in front of Danny yet.

I think I'd rest Drogs for the Liecester game and play Torres and Sturridge with Drogba on the bench having a well earned rest, hes our main striker and the one to rely on so bit of cotton wool to keep his legs as fresh as possible wouldn't go amiss for me.

I'd also be starting Mikel and Cahill in the Cup game, giving Essien and JT the odd twenty minutes if need be.

Edited by Chippy

I think it would be a bit hard on Sturridge to start Drogba and Torres to be honest, Sturridge has gone off the boil a bit in the last few games but he has still been lively and given the opposition plenty of headaches, he always gets ashot off and although greedy soometimes he has started tracking back more, I don't think dropping him will be good for him and although Torres works hard and does show signs of being able to play up front with Drogba, has not done enough to get on the teamsheet in front of Danny yet.

One of the good things to come out of Torres' "bad moment" is that he's really picked up his energy. He now tracks back and chases the ball much, much harder than he used to. When he and Drogs are on the pitch together, they're like terriers. By god, I love to see a player fight hard to win the ball and defend.

We only have two players who still don't do that consistently. One is Sturridge, the other is Mata. I wish they'd learn. Sturridge's unwillingness to fight for a 50-50 last night almost ended up in a Napoli goal.

The more Studge plays, the more I understand why his past managers were reluctant to use him. He has many weaknesses in his game.

My post a few above saying I thought Torres and Sturridge should start the Liecester game with rests for the other players I mentioned was exactly the way RDM played it and I thought it worked well for all concerned, I said then that Torres, although working hard and gradually improving had not done enough to merit a place in front of Danny and I stand by that although one game later and I will happily admit that Torres has now put in a claim for a place.

That can only be good news and although he has flattered to decieve before against lesser opponents the performances against all opposition have gradually improved and the goals can only help him in his quest for a starting spot and his quest to get back the confidence he has been surely missing.

I don't say he should start in front of Sturridge against city but I do think that if he did I wouldn't criticise the decision if it was made, myself on the evidence so far? I'd start Drogba and Sturridge and have Torres know he was in the plan for a good half hour or more if one of the front two were not having an impact but as I say I can see a case for keeping his confidence high and giving Danny a bit of a reminder that he still has a lot to learn.

The good thing is we have four players showing interest in those front two or three positions and I include the much maligned Kalou who again has chipped in with some half reasonable performances so there is options now on the bench.

With decent options in defence and midfield since all the players have started to look up for it we definately must be making the two teams above us feel a bit more pressured than we were.

Can't be a coincidence that Chelsea's surge in form coincides with renewed production from the center-forward position. The lack of goals from the #9 was a direct cause of a lot of AVB's troubles. Both Drogba, and now Torres, have woken up.

in the past we had a very strong midfield which supplied quick balls to our attacking flanks. our present midfield are shockingly weak and their guile in linking play from defence to midfield to attack is very poor. this has resulted in the defence struggling and made our strikers goalshy. drogba and torres is a fine idea but without anyone controlling the passage of play in midfield then you will get what happened at citeh. if we had got modric or had villas-boas had more believe in mcechren then things might of been different. granted mcechren is young and will make mistakes but can you honestly say that we will be worse of than what we are already?!