2012 Football Rivalries

Myles_91
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

If anyone was interested it's a continuation of this survey in 2003 but with only half the respondents.:http://www.footballfanscensus.com/issueresults/Club_Rivalries_Uncovered_Results.pdf

Interesting to see how ours has changed back to Spurs once again since they became a force. I was surprised Liverpool didn't make top 3 though. Some inaccuracies in there which could have been smoothed out if they asked more people.

i have to say back in the day, HATED arsenal, they were our big London rivals and they ALWAYS had the wood on us until it seems that champions league QF and ever since then the tables have turned massively.

i see Man United up there but to be honest i dont see them as a rival, Yes a title rival but not in the same way that we want to beat the likes of a spurs, arsenal or a qpr !

i have to say back in the day, HATED arsenal, they were our big London rivals and they ALWAYS had the wood on us until it seems that champions league QF and ever since then the tables have turned massively.

i see Man United up there but to be honest i dont see them as a rival, Yes a title rival but not in the same way that we want to beat the likes of a spurs, arsenal or a qpr !

Surely our biggest London rivals has always been Tottenham. Surely, i simply dont see how its up for debate ?

What makes me laugh with that new list is that in the 'most offensive' list, all the 'big' clubs of England are present.....and then the others who aren't so make the list because of them being geographically close to so many other clubs (Forest, Birmingham)....or seemingly for their bad rep (Millwall, Cardiff). But then on the list of the 'least offensive'.....it is more-or-less some of the smallest clubs in England (hard to evoke hatred for such clubs...Aldershot, York etc.)......yet Fulham, an established Premier League club for many-a-year now....and a capital club to boot, somewhow managed to squeeze into the top ten. Says it all about them. No-one gives a sh*t.

Qpr and Fulham are sides I watched when not travelling away. Amazing thay hate us so, as whenever in 70s and 80's and 90's going to Craven cottage or Loftus Road never saw a home fan when we played em.

So true. When I was a kid in the late 60's I went to see Chelsea one week and Fulham the next, like lots of Blues fans. Fulham fans hated QPR with a passion back then, and from what I could gather QPR hated Fulham equally. They were clearly bitter rivals back then (late 60's, 70's), and neither of them considered Chelsea as rivals.

A similar thing is happening with Crystal Palace too. Sometime during the 70's/80's(?) Palace changed their nickname from the 'Glaziers' to the 'Eagles', and all of a sudden their no-mark fans considered Brighton their main rivals. Nowadays Palace fans seem to think they are the main rivals of Millwall, which I'm sure has the old CBL boys in hysterics.

Fulham, QPR and Palace had terrible vocal support in the old days, and none of them had a mob to their name. It seems that now that there's hardly any football violence in or around a ground anymore, these w*nkers want to make a name for themselves. I'd love to see how these gobsh*tes would have reacted to the Shed/North Stand or CBL/Halfway Line coming into their end of the ground. Usain Bolt's record would have been blown away by the hoards from Shepherds Bush and Croydon :biggrin:

Spurs have been our OFFICIAL rivals for very differing reasons since i recall from 67..Arsenal, Man Utd, n liverpool, rivals for more of the footballing side of things..I dont know or understand the few that consider Qpr or fulham rivals, but their pointof view is as valid as anyone elses i presume...AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED ROTTENHAM ARE OUR RIVAL IN EVERY SCENARIO OF FOOTBALL AND FOOTBALL RELATED THINGS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THUS

I have to confess, due to family 'ties' i tend to look on Spuds as an 'old' rival (although in the football sense it is being rekindled) as my brother and brother in law are both spurs ex season ticket holders (we come from Tufnell park originally).

My total and unswerving hatred is reserved for victimpool, that stems all the way back to the mid 70's, having known someone stabbed by the cowardly scum walking to a game up there.

Then of course came the Jose era (which fanned the flames) where their arrogance knew no bounds, add to that the hypocracy displayed by their 'fans' in just about everything.

I really don't know what a club or it's fans could do to make me transfer my hatred/rivalry ??

I'm not sure that my little rant there is what the threads really about ??? But hey, it's better to get it off your chest :wink:

Alan

Like that survey, interesting that quite a few clubs see us as one of their rivals - Man U, Spuds, Arse, WHU, Dippers, QPR, Brentford (lol) I see it as a compliment... I'd miss them all apart from Brentford (??)

What about Man City, surely they will come into contention in terms of league placement as some point...

Edited by Fast Eddie

So true. When I was a kid in the late 60's I went to see Chelsea one week and Fulham the next, like lots of Blues fans. Fulham fans hated QPR with a passion back then, and from what I could gather QPR hated Fulham equally. They were clearly bitter rivals back then (late 60's, 70's), and neither of them considered Chelsea as rivals.

A similar thing is happening with Crystal Palace too. Sometime during the 70's/80's(?) Palace changed their nickname from the 'Glaziers' to the 'Eagles', and all of a sudden their no-mark fans considered Brighton their main rivals. Nowadays Palace fans seem to think they are the main rivals of Millwall, which I'm sure has the old CBL boys in hysterics.

Fulham, QPR and Palace had terrible vocal support in the old days, and none of them had a mob to their name. It seems that now that there's hardly any football violence in or around a ground anymore, these w*nkers want to make a name for themselves. I'd love to see how these gobsh*tes would have reacted to the Shed/North Stand or CBL/Halfway Line coming into their end of the ground. Usain Bolt's record would have been blown away by the hoards from Shepherds Bush and Croydon :biggrin:

Yes, lots of good matches at Loftus Road. Rodney out early at half time doing his show off ball control thing(Stan Bowles still in the bookies!). Best and Marsh (I think) at Craven Cottage was a big thing for a while.

One great memory at Fulham. Peter Storey (ex Arsenal hard man) is near the sideline taking a free kick. The sideline was really close compared to Stamford Bridge. Anyway, as he's placing the ball a wag shouts out: "Go on Storey, pretend it's a head!" True story (no pun intended)

We had many rivalries and each one had different factors in my opinion.

Arsenal, I believe to be the classic Red vs Blue city derbies (Man United & City, Liverpool & Everton)

Before the 03/04 Champions League QF, I was desperate for us to beat them because we hadn't done so in a long time.)

Fulham just down the road being our closest rivals.

Tottenham & QPR... Well we just hate them.

Never really seen chelsea as a specfic rival myself, i guess i can understand it though back from the days when there was still a big four, then there's things like 'that' luis garcia goal, and of course more recently with the torres affair, id say for me the rivalries would be united, everton, then maybe newcastle, purely cause we often have some cracking games.

Spurs have been our OFFICIAL rivals for very differing reasons since i recall from 67..Arsenal, Man Utd, n liverpool, rivals for more of the footballing side of things..I dont know or understand the few that consider Qpr or fulham rivals, but their pointof view is as valid as anyone elses i presume...AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED ROTTENHAM ARE OUR RIVAL IN EVERY SCENARIO OF FOOTBALL AND FOOTBALL RELATED THINGS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THUS

Got to agree with Mike Carefree on this it's definately Sp*ds, particularly if your old school Chels. Let's not forget Dirty Leeds back in the Seventies though.

My top three hates are:

Sp*ds

Manure

Dirty Leeds.

I Have always been toatlly indifferent to the likes of Foolham, QPHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Weasles, Wet Spam and Gooners.

:SpamUnwrapped:

I hate west ham, QPR and Arsenal. Never really been bothered by Spurs, growing up we always beat them and a few of my mates at school were spurs fans.

In recent times Liverpool made the list but ive become less bothered about them now we can all laugh at them being a midtable team. The fans going on about history is just laughable as thats all they have to cling on to now.

Growing up i didnt really like United as they always won everything and its always annoyed me that there are so many fans down south and hardly any have ever been to manchester.

QPR fans retort to any Chelsea fan that claims they are not a rival is "Only Chelsea fans over 30 will understand" or "Those that grew up in the 70s and 80s in West London" yet it seems to be the older Chelsea fans that don't care and some of the younger ones that care about them.

Personally I don't care about QPR's enough to consider them rivals. I could never bring myself to dislike them as they had Peacock and Spencer playing for them and I quite liked watching them.

I used to go to the odd Fulham game when I couldn't watch Chelsea so could never hate Fulham, who does to be honest? No one cares a out Fulham.

I think people confuse rivalry with hatred. You can hate a team without being a rival, This is the case with United and to a lesser extent Leeds and Chelsea. Everybody hates United, but few consider them rivals.

Fulham and QPR are family clubs so it's understandable they'd hate a big club on their doorstep like Chelsea.

West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are all I care about. I hate Leeds but Its difficult for me to consider them a rival bearing in mind I'm only a Chelsea fan of 18 years or so.

The best rivalries are also when teams are close together. As sh*te as Liverpool are nobody would be surprised if they beat United in a weeks time, I don't even think West Ham beating us, Arsenal or Spurs would shock that many people, because they are proper rivalries and anything could happen on the day.

Spurs, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Leeds and maybe West Ham. They're the main ones. I don't know one Chelsea fan who is bothered about Fulham or QPR. One Fulham victory over Chelsea in over 30 years is hardly enough to stir a rivalry....and QPR fans may cite the time from around the mid-70's to the mid-90's when the sides were evenly matched.....but what about before the 70's? The two clubs had barely played due to Rangers being a lower league side......and what about since they were relegated in 1996? They only came back up last year. A long time for this 'rivalry' to be dormant. We only really played them regularly for a 20 year period in a history stretching back 107 years....and for them even longer. It is nothing in the greater scheme of things. Important to them maybe but not to Chelsea.

Edited by BernardLambourde