Hazard penalties

Samdwich

He got two in our first two games, but has since been denied several stone wall ones, anyone remember exactly which games these have been in? I know there was one vs Juve, one vs QPR and one vs Norwich, I thought it'd be interesting to compile a list.

I think it's completely unfair. Just because players like Suarez, Young and Bale dive that doesn't mean Hazard is doing it as well. In my opinion he seems to be getting singled out because he is a good player. The ref needs to realise that a penalty is a penalty, just because Hazard go a few at the start of the season that doesn't mean he shouldn't get anymore now.

There's a difference between going down easily and diving. Hazard goes down easily when contact is made, Suarez... well... he takes it to his own pathetic level.

No there isn't, they are both cheating.

That said, Hazard is so deadly in that channel on the side of the box and gets away from defenders so easily we will be shouting for a few more penalties this season.

That said, Hazard is so deadly in that channel on the side of the box and gets away from defenders so easily we will be shouting for a few more penalties this season.

Going down easily isn't cheating if there is contact, most managers in ENGLAND would encourage to go down if there's sufficient contact, tbh with you I don't see Hazard even doing a great deal of this anyway, plenty of times he really has been fouled, and fouled hard at that, he's a player most would target as they simply can't defend him, the 2 vs. Norwich were both blatant penalties, he didn't even go down easily, no bias here at all. Like ice said we don't get many, JT blatantly had his shirt pulled late on, it's a joke.

I think theres a difference. If a defender makes a mistake and sticks his leg out then a striker will go over it, thats not cheating to me. Going down under without being touched or with a slight touch is cheating.

I didn't think the Norwich one was a penalty.

I often wonder how and why players go down under such minimal when I am convinced that they could easily ride the challenge and get in a cross or shot.

When I was a lad and I played, I had to be properly fouled to get stopped. It never crossed my mind to collapse in a heap even if a centreback shattered my ankle! Perhaps that's just the difference between amateurs and modern professionals.

Diving is cheating, going down under the faintest of contact is not cheating but is a sad reflection of how modern pro football is coached and played.

Diving is cheating, going down under the faintest of contact is not cheating but is a sad reflection of how modern pro football is coached and played.

That's the crux. No one in the game pressures players not to go down if touched, but, that in itself isn't the only problem.

Another problem comes when players 'anticipate' the touch, get it wrong by a split second, and therefore go down without contact.

They just don't get their 'going down' timing right 100% of the time. There is then of course the blatant attempts to deceive the Ref and cheat a pen (ala Suarez).

The ONLY way to stop it is retroactive punishment. A panel sits on Monday and decides on blatant dives, first offence 1 match, second 2 match, third 3 etc, then back to one again. (slates wiped clean at end of season or transfer).

That way the MANAGERS will stop players diving, as for me they are the ONLY ones who can stop it (and certainly would if it began to cost the team as opposed to 'might as well try as there is no consequence)

A dive would be 'no contact'. This would quickly eliminate the blatant dives, and remove most of the 'leave my leg there for the keeper to touch' penalties too (as the risk of 'no contact' would make it a ban)

Personally a hate diving/feigning injury/trailing legs etc. It makes footballers look like cynical 'win at all cost' cheats, or complete poofters rolling around after getting a 'knock' on the shin (same as us whacking the edge of the coffee table, NORMAL people just swear and rub it!)

In the Manpoo game at the weekend a player got a 'tap' on the head, he laid on the floor in apparent agony (until he was taken off the pitch and the game restarted with his team down to 10 when he couldn't wait to rejoin the fray), his 'knock' was no worse than walking into an open kitchen cupboard.

It's embarrassing, how on earth has it not become taboo within the game i really don't know.

Rant over..

Alan

PS Hazard isn't a diver, but he does go down when touched (like the rest) so it's only a matter of time before he gets his timing wrong and gets branded as one.

PPS Just watched a piece on SSN .. A rugby player had a testicle ruptured during a game at the weekend, not only did he finish the game (which is remarkable in itself) he also did post match interviews before being rushed off to hospital to have the bollock removed !!!

The same scenario for a footballer... Injury happens, player needs a stretcher, best wishes sent from all other league clubs, and a minutes applause for the player at the next home game.

PPS Just watched a piece on SSN .. A rugby player had a testicle ruptured during a game at the weekend, not only did he finish the game (which is remarkable in itself) he also did post match interviews before being rushed off to hospital to have the bollock removed !!!

The same scenario for a footballer... Injury happens, player needs a stretcher, best wishes sent from all other league clubs, and a minutes applause for the player at the next home game.

From watching a bit of Rugby League I have often heard fans there utter the phrase, Rugby, 80 minutes of getting hit and pretending not to be hurt, while football is 90 minutes of not getting touched but pretending to be seriously hurt.

By biggest annoyance is the one where a faint accidental touch happens on someones chest or shoulder and the player then clutches their face and after a few seconds looks to see if there is any blood. Pretty pathetic and it isn't going to stop, ever.

They should be stamping out the grabbing and pulling in the box by defenders its the biggest problem in the game not diving.

Don't forget Torres getting his shooting foot clipped cannot remember the game. What annoys me more however are the commentators when its Chelsea it was never a pen another team say United or City the same thing would cause a ruckus about it been a stonewall.

Biased &*^* the lot of em.

Oh and if you don't go down you don't get the penalty whether it was a foul or not hence why players go down.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Whether you like it or not, if there is contact in the box and the player goes down, it's a penalty. It's up to the ref to decide if there was enough contact to justify a penalty. It might be wrong and extremely unsporting but players are encouraged to go down if they get clipped by the opponent.

To be fair, I don't think diving is as big of a problem as people make out. Suarez is in a league of his own because he is the one that does it on a regular basis.

Of course you get the occasional idiot with a shocking dive... Young, Bale, Branna.. etc, but they tend to be one-offs. Only 4 players have been booked for simulation twice since the beginning of the 09/10 season.. one is obviously the racist diplomat himself, while two others are Hernandez and Eboue, can't remember the other one.

Definitely think Suarez is the reason Hazard didn't get a pen the other day though, that big toothed prick has put diving in the minds of all the officials.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Whether you like it or not, if there is contact in the box and the player goes down, it's a penalty. It's up to the ref to decide if there was enough contact to justify a penalty. It might be wrong and extremely unsporting but players are encouraged to go down if they get clipped by the opponent.

To be fair, I don't think diving is as big of a problem as people make out. Suarez is in a league of his own because he is the one that does it on a regular basis.

Of course you get the occasional idiot with a shocking dive... Young, Bale, Branna.. etc, but they tend to be one-offs. Only 4 players have been booked for simulation twice since the beginning of the 09/10 season.. one is obviously the racist diplomat himself, while two others are Hernandez and Eboue, can't remember the other one.

Definitely think Suarez is the reason Hazard didn't get a pen the other day though, that big toothed prick has put diving in the minds of all the officials.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Deliberately conning the ref into making a decision that unfairly benefits one party over another is cheating. There is not a footballer alive, at the top level, who doesn't dive. Even the hardest players dive. John Terry dived against Barca. Rooney dives all the time (one of the most prolific in world football), Gerrard, Ballack, etc., etc. Everyone dives. Going down easily is the same as diving.

Contact does not mean a player is justified in going down. They should try to play on. The decision to award a foul is down to the referee.

there should be advantage called in the case of being fouled in the box but still going for goal

in this seasons man city-arsenal game, in the late stage of the game aguero got fouled in the box but he stayed on his feet and still took a shot. it turned out it was better for him to go down. so why shouldnt a player make the most of it if the refs are going to react only if you go to the ground?

and this isnt an isolated incident, i have never, ever seen a ref take the play back and award a penalty

Wrong wrong wrong. Deliberately conning the ref into making a decision that unfairly benefits one party over another is cheating. There is not a footballer alive, at the top level, who doesn't dive. Even the hardest players dive. John Terry dived against Barca. Rooney dives all the time (one of the most prolific in world football), Gerrard, Ballack, etc., etc. Everyone dives. Going down easily is the same as diving. Contact does not mean a player is justified in going down. They should try to play on. The decision to award a foul is down to the referee.

As Lane says above, unless a player goes down, a foul will not be given. Football is a non contact sport and making (substantial) contact with your opponent's leg when going for the ball is prima facie a foul. It's sad that players need to go down to draw the ref's attention to the foul, but in situation's like Aguero vs Arsenal, you can see why it happens.

Aguero is a hero in this sense, btw, as he makes more of an effort to stay up rather than go down looking for a foul - his winner on the last day of the season comes right after he gets his leg taken out from under him but balances himself and shoots. Messi does it quite often too, due to his sheer self belief - ie. he knows that carrying on he is likely to do more damage than if he just goes down and takes the free kick.

As Lane says above, unless a player goes down, a foul will not be given. Football is a non contact sport and making (substantial) contact with your opponent's leg when going for the ball is prima facie a foul. It's sad that players need to go down to draw the ref's attention to the foul, but in situation's like Aguero vs Arsenal, you can see why it happens.

Aguero is a hero in this sense, btw, as he makes more of an effort to stay up rather than go down looking for a foul - his winner on the last day of the season comes right after he gets his leg taken out from under him but balances himself and shoots. Messi does it quite often too, due to his sheer self belief - ie. he knows that carrying on he is likely to do more damage than if he just goes down and takes the free kick.

Its not up to the player to make decisions. The referee and his assistants are the officials and decide what is a foul and what isn't.

Dishonesty is either rewarded or not punished, meaning players have had no incentive to play honestly. Players need to be retrospectively punished by governing bodies. Additionally the whole bollocks about 'contact = foul' needs to be eradicated. The while culture of football needs to change. Honesty needs to be rewarded and dishonesty punished.

Well said CunningStunt.

Lane, I agree about referees, they will never award a penalty for such actions.

Which is why despite the governing bodies pontificating about diving, they will never actually eradicate it until referees are actually call penalties. Currently the system is in a snowball cycle in which as players dive more and move it becomes harder to win a penalty, thus making dives more prevalent.

Punishing the player is only fixing the symptom, not the disease.

As much as I hate to agree with captain hypocrite, Tony Pulis, he's got a point...

3 match ban if booked for diving would stop it completely.

Would only be fair if debatable decisions could be appealed, but for blatant Suarez-esque dives, it would be perfect.

Obviously not going to happen because the PL/FA are as incompetent it gets. Would be nice though :rolleyes:

As much as I hate to agree with captain hypocrite, Tony Pulis, he's got a point...

3 match ban if booked for diving would stop it completely.

Would only be fair if debatable decisions could be appealed, but for blatant Suarez-esque dives, it would be perfect.

Obviously not going to happen because the PL/FA are as incompetent it gets. Would be nice though :rolleyes:

The problem with diving, even the most blatant dives, is that all too often people see either what the want to see or what they expect to see. Take a look a the following video, with as open a mind as possible. Ok it's Suarez, but try to imagine that it was a player in a blue shirt. Try to make your mind up about the video before you read my comment underneath:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeCZQ7nwD-Q&feature=player_embedded#!

This video was put up by a Liverpool fan attempting to demonstrate that Suarez is unjustly regarded as a diver. I've tried to watch it with an open mind. What do I see? I see a few fouls, a few borderline decisions, a great deal of exaggeration and a not inconsiderate proportion of dives and deliberate attempts to con the referee. And yet a vast majority of Liverpool fans appear to be convinced that this video demonstrates beyond any doubt that Suarez's reputation as a diver is undeserved, that he in fact needs protection.

Here's some comments from youtube from that video....

"IF 90 PERCENT OF THESE ARE NOT FOULS, THIS LEAGUE IS BROKEN. PLEASE PROTECT THIS PLAYER FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME."

"Luis Suarez, please leave the Premier League NOW! go any where! I don't care wich league.

I want to see a player like you more often and I think your are going to get badly injured :( if you stayed in England."

"This is appalling. I have seen the blatant fowl at Norwich before - but I did not know the level of disgraceful fouls against one man. One comment suggested this be shown to BR, another says BR must protect this talent at all costs. I agree with both. Staggering that Suarez is now the bad boy of diving. That's right, diving's never happened till Suarez came here, has it ? Makes me sick !"

"Be treated differently. This league is bent, or broken, doesn't matter but look at the issues...a dwindling CL force, a national team that is a laughing stock, and an FA that allows black players to tweet or say anything they like and not get punished. The persecution of Liverpool FC continues. Still the biggest club in the country, and everything that's gone on recently just proves it. You envy us, you envy us, you jealous f**king knuckle draggers, we're massive." (My personal favourite)

"I am actually showing this to my kids to teach them about a very real form of systematic discrimination. We're seeing it week in and week out in a 1st world country. Shocking."

and from the same chap:- "MoStar , thank you from the bottom of my heart for this. This should be sent to Brendan Rodgers personally on a disk. I mean this."

"This video makes me think we're going to end up losing him to a serious injury. The tackles that are flying in on him are reckless and dangerous. Skilful players need to be protected. When Ronaldo was in the EPL he was not left to be aggressively bullied and assaulted out of games."

"FA = Fergie Association"

"The media and the FA should be ashamed of themselves for their witch hunt against Suarez. If he signed for United he would get penalties every single match."

"Send this to the FA.. f**kin outrageous.."

"it was so bad tackles on suarez but he didn't get the justice. and even opponent player didn't get a book..go to hell FA"

"a foul is a foul, and some of these are f**king brutal."

"Justice for suarez"

"How about THE REASON he goes down so easily is that he is NEVER given calls. Whether he goes down or not he is not getting the call. Thats corrupt officiating and is unacceptable."

"Come here and let me piss down your throat and jump on your face."

I love and feel sorry for Liverpool fans. Idiots.

Archived