Are you afraid of bad times?

KosovoBlue

Like the tittle says, are you afraid of bad times ? For more than a decade now we didn't really have bad times but they will come. I know we are in a good run now and we should enjoy this but it keeps bothering me that bad times will come maybe in 10 or 20 years who knows. I was born in the 90s and started supporting chelsea since 98 so i didn't really see Chelsea being threatened by relegation. What do you guys think about it? Will wee be on top for 20 years like Manure or will we go back after 5 years. This topic isn't made because i think they will come now but sometimes it has to happen.

Like the tittle says, are you afraid of bad times ? For more than a decade now we didn't really have bad times but they will come. I know we are in a good run now and we should enjoy this but it keeps bothering me that bad times will come maybe in 10 or 20 years who knows. I was born in the 90s and started supporting chelsea since 98 so i didn't really see Chelsea being threatened by relegation. What do you guys think about it? Will wee be on top for 20 years like Manure or will we go back after 5 years. This topic isn't made because i think they will come now but sometimes it has to happen.

Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball, but I will say that we have the potential to remain if not on top, there or thereabouts for a good many years yet.

By the same token, meaning that it's impossible to know what the future will bring, it's pointless worrying that the future may not be as successful or as prosperous as the present. Football goes in cycles as does everything else in life. All good things must come to an end is of those saying's that is "only a cliché because it's all true" (to quote Paul Weller). Another is that living through the bad times help you to appreciate the good times so much more.

Don't worry, be happy. Enjoy it while you can.

exactly, just appreciate the here and now...I don't get too cocky about our success, don't want to become obnoxious like Utd and Liveresum fans...I just enjoy it and if it all goes tits up someday, I will always treasure seeing the boys win so many trophies from the first major one in my lifetime - the FA Cup in 1997 to Champs lge in 2012...When I began in the early 80s, such success was the stuff of fantasy...

In a strange way I sort of look forward to them. One of the big things that made stopping going regularly so easy was our fan base. I think it's an embarrassment, and I think the bad times returning will see a lot of the sh*t fans.move on, hell I might even start going regularly again!

Edited by Barn

In a strange way I sort of look forward to them. One of the big things that made stopping going regularly so easy was our fan base. I think it's an embarrassment, and I think the bad times returning will see a lot of the sh*t fans.move on, hell I might even start going regularly again!

I've never been to a Chelsea game since i live 3000KM away from london and i have no money to travel but can you tell me more about those fans that embarres you. I want to know why the fans nowdays are bad and the fans in the 80s were good.

Like a lot of the guys and gals that have been following Chelse for many many (jesus is it really that long ?) years , seeing us relegated , playing in front of a few thousand at the bridge , sh*te football and so on , I am just riding the wave and enjoying it.

If in how ever many years it comes to pass that we are once again in the deepest hole imaginable , I can always say " I remember when.........(insert any trophy)"

As always KTBFFH

We've not had a sustained period of success like manure they've completey dominated the EPL era weve had few wins here and there but thats it so i dont know what you're on about

Edited by nelson1801

What a load of bollocks. Your one of these snobby people that can't support a team because a lot of other people do.

I agree BARN, but i wouldnt STOP going because of it...It wont be that long in the future that the fur coats and erm tourists will ebb and we will have a good ,close to. as we remember it, support back..I see it happening already..Also the youth will be good away fans in a handfull of years..It ll never be like it was , but it will get better. I believe also that terracing will make a return

Edited by Mike Carefree

We've already had the bad times...

Standing on the terraces watching us get thumped week in week out, that was bad!!

With what Roman has done for us i doubt we'll be back there for many a year.

So, in answer to the question .... Not at all.

Alan

I cant imagine us not being wealthy enough to always be in the top 5, and to win domestic cups.

Like the two posts above have said, would be a cold day in hell if it happens any time soon, just a little while before R.A. became our owner, a likeable fellow and Big Fan also started putting in a sizeable amount of his money into the club, turning us from also runs into a formidable side, his name, Matthew Harding, RIP mighty man, then R.A. appeared, step up another gear and we became what we are today, put a few opposing Teams noses out of joint but what the hell we enjoy it, but then we started getting a minority of not really football fans more lets say "joy riders" or "tourists" as someone else discribed them, which I think Barn was refering too.

So really cannot see us having to many bad times for any time soon, especially as the young Abramovich appears to be a real Chelsea fan giving his reactions at matches, I am sure Daddy will let him have the reigns some time, so the future looks secure, the future is Blue.

Well, if by 'bad times' you mean going down the leagues, that's not going to happen while RA is around. If you mean finishing outside the Top 4, that's also unlikely - last season was a blip where many things went wrong (at least until March): tactical incompetence, squad unrest, aging squad, etc.

There will always be bandwagoners who know little to nothing about the club they support - such 'fans' plague every big club. However, many such 'fans' will probably buy Chelsea merchandise, so they're not all bad. Just forget about them and focus on supporting the team.

Experiencing the bad times only helps you to better appreciate the good times. Success does have its downside though, the emergence of plastic fans driving up ticket prices and preventing core supporters from attending matches is probably the most obvious. I don't want to return to the 'bad times', but I don't fear them either.

I think even since Abramovich took over we've had some pretty bad times. When Mourinho left and we lost the Champs League Final in 08 was depressing, and then Scolari taking over and getting sacked. Obviously not bad times compared to most teams, but still a pretty low time for a Chelsea fan.

I think about it quite a lot actually, and like someone else said we've won everything possible now, I've been to two Champions League finals and have been lucky enough to see us win the league three times. I'd carry on with my season ticket and enjoy it.

I think even since Abramovich took over we've had some pretty bad times. When Mourinho left and we lost the Champs League Final in 08 was depressing, and then Scolari taking over and getting sacked. Obviously not bad times compared to most teams, but still a pretty low time for a Chelsea fan.

I think about it quite a lot actually, and like someone else said we've won everything possible now, I've been to two Champions League finals and have been lucky enough to see us win the league three times. I'd carry on with my season ticket and enjoy it.

I've got to smile at your post. It's a perfect example of the way expectations have changed, how everything is relative. But when it comes to bad times, the sacking of a manager or two or losing a Champions League final can't compare with relegation, not only to the old Second Division - don't forget that we only escaped relegation to the old Third Division by the skin of our teeth, or the very real threat of going out of existence.

When it comes to the fans we've also had our share of lows - I'm not talking common or garden hooliganism here but a few isolated incidents which I'd rather not go into. That same could be said for most clubs back in the day is no excuse.

The way I see it is that losing a Champions League Final may be a massive disappointment, but the mere fact of getting there indicates that it's far removed from what could be described as the bad times.

PS, to my above comment...Even when ROMAN has had enough there will be probably even bigger bags of dosh to take his place

If Roman ever wants to leave then I'm sure his son will buy us...!

That could happen you never know, his son seems to love Chelsea as well, he cried when we won the Champions League.